Dark Winter.....climate change

Help Support CattleToday:

M-5":2sgwy8c0 said:
I would really like to say what I think about climate change and these retarded loons that buy the crap. But I'll be nice

Too late. You don't get to call people who respectfully disagree with you "retarded loons" and also call yourself nice. Pick one.

boondocks":2l0tggut said:
M-5":2l0tggut said:
I would really like to say what I think about climate change and these retarded loons that buy the crap. But I'll be nice

Too late. You don't get to call people who respectfully disagree with you "retarded loons" and also call yourself nice. Pick one.

Retarded loon was nice , If I said how I really feel it would make people cry

Up until recently, land grant universities have had a good name for providing concrete fact based information for people in agriculture. Sadly, I am afraid this is not always the case anymore as universities begin to chase funding and income. I witnessed this personally a few years ago when an representative from a university in Mississippi and two "salesmen" came to one of our agriculture meetings trying to sell us on biofuels. The scheme was that we could purchase enough sprigs of this super miscanthus grass to plant a quarter acre and from that we would be allowed to plant as much as 50 acres. The 50 acre deal was $20,000 for the sprigs but you could buy licenses for more acreage if you wanted. The university representative outlined how we would make $10,000/acre/year with absolutely no inputs other than having to cut and bale the grass.

They guaranteed that we could sell the bales to the methanol mill President Obama had constructed about 60 miles from us and they had a guy who had contracts guaranteeing the purchase of the grass.

The flaw in this was many. First of all, the whole thing was being propped up by subsidies. The second thing was this methanol mill was built using the same boilers and fermentation tanks Jimmy Carter built with taxpayer money back in his day. This plant failed so was scrapped and moved for this scheme. The folks at the ethanol plant made huge salaries until the plant was built and it started producing ethanol at levels far below what they had promised and it went belly up just like Carter's did.

I don't care what side of the isle you are on we all should be concerned when our land grant universities begin peddling snake oil just so they can be politically correct and for selfish gain.

A little harsh Joe............
remember...'It's for the children'...(and certain folks' pockets of course)

I hear some company called Solyndra is going to be the Next Big Thing..

greybeard":w1ryikdx said:
A little harsh Joe............
remember...'It's for the children'...(and certain folks' pockets of course)

I hear some company called Solyndra is going to be the Next Big Thing..

I think this was about the same time as that Solyndra thing. What was unsettling were the number of people who looked like bird dogs on point as they talked about the huge profits you could make for doing essentially nothing but baling hay once a year. What was sad was the ones on point were the very farmers who could least afford to be taken advantage of but the mindset of many is that the land grant universities only give out sound advice - and for the most part I think they still do - but this is definitely is sign of the erosion of many years of trust these universities have earned. I think it dangerous.

Pdfangus, you mention, "within conservation it is generally an accepted fact that poor farming practices added to the ten year drought exacerbated the dust bowl days...."

I don't think poor farming practices added to the drought, but they did exacerbate the dust bowl. Breaking the ground with their new found tractors and implements and greed caused the farmer to turn over too much grass. But that in itself did not add to the drought.

Maybe I missed the point, or your sentence structure got me!

pdfangus":kpxcvkdz said:
oh I think the climate changes.
there is evidence of several ices ages over time
there is evidence of significant warm periods between the ice ages.
I think we are somewhere the scale of an inter ice age warm spell now.
what causes the ice ages? I dunno
some theories are meteor strikes changing the earth....I dunno but it is plausible.
will it happen again...can't rule it out...might be today.
will we survive....liberal answer is not with Trump as president.
real answer is probably not.
Is human kind actions enough to influence the climate....
I dunno....I think we should all act responsibly and do our best not to make things worse....
but there is the law of unintended consequences to every action.
within conservation it is generally an accepted fact that poor farming practices added to the ten year drought exacerbated the dust bowl days....
but I have seen mother nature do more damage in a 24 hour rain fall than any farmer could do in 20 years...
have photos of tropical storm Gaston damage from a few years back.
all people like to think they know it all and are smarter than xyz....dam few are...
me....I am a backsliding dumbass and I know it...
Very true there have been swings in climate over the millions of years but most also last thousands if not hundreds of thousands of years before the next change and some were not as long nor as extreme but there is no true pattern and certainly not one that can be obtained using 50 years of data and a lot of speculation. Only today the "experts" announced that burning fossil fuels actually cools the earth. Well duhhhhh ..... I think that's what they also taught when I was a kid..What next and where is the science?? Meanwhile we'll just make some minor adjustments to our computer models and this thing will work out just as we planned it.

D2Cat":3w4db9ba said:
Pdfangus, you mention, "within conservation it is generally an accepted fact that poor farming practices added to the ten year drought exacerbated the dust bowl days...."

I don't think poor farming practices added to the drought, but they did exacerbate the dust bowl. Breaking the ground with their new found tractors and implements and greed caused the farmer to turn over too much grass. But that in itself did not add to the drought.

Maybe I missed the point, or your sentence structure got me!
No it simply intensified he effects of the drought.

I don't know a lot about global warming but I feed half of my cows with a tractor with no cab during the winter and it's still COLD at times and pleasant at times.I just say take what the lord presents us with and roll with it. If y'all figure it out please share it with me, now I've gotta wrap up and go feed.

what tb said is what I meant.....

the farming practices killed the soil ecosystem that existed, reducing the soils natural resiliency and removed the organic matter making the bare soil more susceptible to the erosive forces of the wind and the drought.

although within my profession there are some who will blame it all on the farmer.....

I am not among that group....

Latest posts