Dang weather

Help Support CattleToday:

Dave

Reaction score
Well I cut the last of the poles I need this morning. Now I just have 84 poles and 6 gates to get hung. I need it to be 30 degrees cooler or me to be 30 years younger. But I am still 68 and it is going to be in the 90's with 100 degrees predicted for Saturday. I picture myself in my recliner in front of the AC by about 9:00 every morning.
Could be worse. On Friday it is suppose to be well into the 90's. Cows are supposed to get moved off the BLM up behind the house. Most of those cows there belong to the neighbor with broken ribs. So 5 other neighbors are going to gather and move about 190 cows and calves. A 190 pairs on 3,000 acres of serious up and down country is not going to be easy on men, horses, or dogs. A project for those younger than me. It will be a good day to be a senior citizen.

MurraysMutts said:
Dang!
Nice poles!
Ehem.... rails!

Just curious. How to u attach them?
Lag screws. I use 3/8 screws of varying length depending on the size of the pole. I have 8", 10", and 12". I want at least 4 inches in the post. I use an impact wrench to put them in. Nice thing about using lag screws is if needed I can take them out easily.

:cowboy: At 68, it is nice that you still have the good health and energy to start a project like that Dave. As long as you are not in a big hurry to get it done, just take your time and work on it when you feel comfortable out there. I just bought my first battery operated impact at Christmas and wonder why I didn't buy one years ago. It sure saves a lot of work over the old socket and ratchet. I'm thinking the younger generation is looking forward to rounding up all the neighbors cattle for him. In my younger years, I seemed to look forward to getting those types of jobs done simply because I knew that not everyone else could do it. Enjoy your time in the recliner in front of the AC.

Rafter S said:
I'm surprised those lag screws don't snap off right under the head. Do you buy a stronger grade?
Just 50 pound boxes off the internet. Not up grade at all. I snapped off a fair number. Wrote the company to complain about the quality. They explained better installation. I drill a deeper pilot hole and lubricate the screw using a bar of soap. Drove 100's of them since I last broke one.

Dsth said:
:cowboy: I'm thinking the younger generation is looking forward to rounding up all the neighbors cattle for him. In my younger years, I seemed to look forward to getting those types of jobs done simply because I knew that not everyone else could do it.
I don't think it will be anything anyone is looking forward to. Of the 5 doing this 2 are over 50. There are 2 in their mid 30's and one who is early 20's. Cowboying around here can be dangerous. One of the guys had a horse fall on him a couple years ago. Broke his jaw in that wreck. Last week another guy had a horse fall with him. Broke his leg, nose, and boggered up his shoulder. You haven't been here long enough to have seen pictures of this country.
Looking down at my house from the back of my place. 2,000 foot elevation difference in less than a mile.

This is part of the area they have to gather cows at. Lots of serious up and down.

Set up about half way between start and finish line and declare yourself in charge of beer and baloney. Don't forget to bring a good comfortable lawn chair. Let'em work their way to you.

Guess we really don't grasp how fortunate some of us are when we are able to drop a tailgate on a truck or mule and rattle a bag of cubes to get cattle to follow (race) us back to the pens. :cboy:

I saw an ad for a ranch a little south of here that described the place as horse crippling, dog killing country...... But everyone knows it is a bed of roses running cows on that BLM ground.

Dave said:
Dsth said:
:cowboy: I'm thinking the younger generation is looking forward to rounding up all the neighbors cattle for him. In my younger years, I seemed to look forward to getting those types of jobs done simply because I knew that not everyone else could do it.
I don't think it will be anything anyone is looking forward to. Of the 5 doing this 2 are over 50. There are 2 in their mid 30's and one who is early 20's. Cowboying around here can be dangerous. One of the guys had a horse fall on him a couple years ago. Broke his jaw in that wreck. Last week another guy had a horse fall with him. Broke his leg, nose, and boggered up his shoulder. You haven't been here long enough to have seen pictures of this country.
Looking down at my house from the back of my place. 2,000 foot elevation difference in less than a mile.

This is part of the area they have to gather cows at. Lots of serious up and down.

Looks like pretty rough country. I did not expect it to be that bad. Hope everyone returns home safe and no animals get injured during the round up.

Latest posts