Dam

Help Support CattleToday:

dbc

Reaction score
I have a pond that the dam broke a while back and is out of shape. I was wanting to do somethin bout it soon (it has trees growing up in it) and need to build a damn that is about 4 foot tall and 4 foot wide to keep the water in. My question is what is the best way to build one? I really want to know the best way to keep it strong and sturdy. Thanks for yalls help.

dbc":3hgifzfb said:
I have a pond that the dam broke a while back and is out of shape. I was wanting to do somethin bout it soon (it has trees growing up in it) and need to build a be nice that is about 4 foot tall and 4 foot wide to keep the water in. My question is what is the best way to build one? I really want to know the best way to keep it strong and sturdy. Thanks for yalls help.

The front and back sides of the dam needs to have a good slope to them.
But most of all it needs to have a spill way that can handle all of the over flow that is not a part of the dam its self.

Around here they cut a spill way next to the dame and let grass grow in it. I dump rocks in our spillwasy but some grass still volunteers.

dun

a good dozer operator could fix it at around $85-95 per hour. Since the pond is already there it probably wouldn't cost much.

i had thought about that, but wasnt sure. two questions. 1st where would be a good place to find old bricks or something similar for cheap to fill it with, since there are little to no rocks where i am located, and also trees have totally takin over, would it be ok to just dam it up and be done with it or is it necessary to get rid of the trees? thanks for the help

If you post a local add asking for clean fill, you'll have vehicles lined up your driveway looking to dispose of it.

dbc":3sokudep said:
i had thought about that, but wasnt sure. two questions. 1st where would be a good place to find old bricks or something similar for cheap to fill it with, since there are little to no rocks where i am located, and also trees have totally takin over, would it be ok to just dam it up and be done with it or is it necessary to get rid of the trees? thanks for the help

Trees in the dam or too close to a pond is a disaster in the making. Roots can/will penetrate the pond or a root may day and leave a void that water is just waiting for an opportunity to get into and drain the pond or at a minimum leak badly. But that depends on the type of trees also. Very shallow rooted trees aren;t much of a problem, deep rooted trees cause most of the trouble with leaking ponds.
A load of 2 inch clean rock dropped in the spillway and spread around makes a pretty erosion proof spillway.

dun

that makes sense... these trees arent but a few inches thick around but im guessing cutting them down wouldnt do much good they would have to be bulldozed? but anyways thanks for the the help guys

Lots of people build dams that fail because they are not engineered, some redneck piles up some dirt and thinks it will hold.
It is amazing at the watershed that feeds some of these ponds, anywhere from 100's of acres to 1000's the spillaways have to be properly sized with emergency overflows. One inch rain is 25,000 gallons to the acre now equate that in 100's of acres of watershed feeding the pond.

Latest posts