brown calf with black angus dam/sire????????

Help Support CattleToday:

uscangus

Reaction score
i have two calves that are brown color with both dam and sire are black angus. will the color change to black/brown as it get older??
is the brown color trait is recessive gene?? is the original color of angus(red???), initially??? i am a newbie. 99% of my calves are blacks and dams/sires are all black angus.

i would appreciate your kind advises from the boards, being newbie. uscangus, :) :)

I have seen many and had quite a few "pure" black Angus calves born looking a deep dark brown. As they grow, their hair bleaches a bit to an almost reddish brown, but as they shed their "baby hair" their coat grows out black. I have also seen and had them born jet black.

Katherine

Workinonit Farm":34ttnyv2 said:
I have seen many and had quite a few "pure" black Angus calves born looking a deep dark brown. As they grow, their hair bleaches a bit to an almost reddish brown, but as they shed their "baby hair" their coat grows out black. I have also seen and had them born jet black.

Katherine

i am hoping that it will happen that the color will change as they get older. but thank you. :) uscangus

I have a brown heifer now - she'll be black by the end of summer.

Every year there'll be a couple of them. When people come to look and buy they always ask "why is that one brown". It's baby hair.

Latest posts