Dairy cows with Eye Cancer pics

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.

NCLiz 3

Reaction score
FYI:
Was Massive Beef Recall Caused By Dairy Cows With Eye Cancer?

We know that millions of pounds of beef that came through a California slaughterhouse and meat processing plant have been recalled because the plant "processed diseased and unsound animals." Well, okay, but what does that mean? We don't know that for sure yet, but the Village Voice talked to one rancher whose entire 2013 output is part of that massive recall.
Hannah Palmer Egan wanted to know: what "disease" did those animals have? What, exactly, made them unfit for human consumption?
Bill Niman of BN Ranch used the plant, Rancho Feeding Corp., for the slaughter of his cattle, and has spoken to other local people in the industry. He points out that Rancho happens to process retired dairy cows, which tend to be older and thus sicker than the relative youngsters raised for meat. One disease that's obvious to inspectors and should be obvious to farmers is ocular squamous cell carcinoma. Simply put: cancer eye. (Click here for pictures, but don't say you weren't warned. You'll see why these tumors should be obvious to farmers before they send the cows for slaughter.)
This cancer exists in a variety of animals–people get it, too–but is common in certain breeds of cattle for some reason that farmers would really, really like to figure out and prevent.
Niman wonders whether dairy farmers sent over cows with cancer eye, and the proper procedure wasn't followed. A USDA veterinarian is supposed to check whether the cancer has spread and how far, and determine whether the cancer-free parts of the cow's body can still be butchered and sold. A longtime USDA inspector told Egan that if the process isn't followed precisely, that renders the whole carcass "unfit for human consumption."
Other experts–who, for transparency's sake, are small-scale butchers and farmers–point out that while the huge recall figures make us picture Dumpsters full of beef heading for the incinerator, most of the meat in these recalls has already been distributed and won't be recovered.
The "disease" could be ocular cancer, or could be something else. We don't know, because the USDA won't elaborate yet, Rancho's lawyers quite understandably won't let employees talk to the media.
The recall probably won't hurt Nestlé so much in the long run, but Niman says that losing all of his 2013 beef could destroy his business. Rancho handled slaughter for many small-scale meat producers in the Bay Area, who will have to haul their animals to more distant slaughterhouses if the facility shuts down.
http://consumerist.com/2014/02/21/was-m ... ye-cancer/

FYI:

Bovine ocular squamous cell carcinoma, commonly called "cancer eye," is one of the more serious problems faced by ranchers today. Although the disease occurs in several breeds and some cross-bred animals, Herefords are most commonly afflicted. The cause of the disease is unknown. Genetic predisposition of the Hereford breed, together with prolonged exposure to ultraviolet light, appear to be contributory factors, however. Presently, cancer eye comprises about 80 percent of all tumors reported at processing and is the leading cause of car- cass condemnation, with losses approaching $20 million per year in the U.S. Alone.
www.iowabeefcenter.org/Beef%20Cattle%20 ... ancer_Eyes.

Wondered how long it would be before you brought this up again.
This calf you keep showing photos of has keratoconjunctivitis &/or ophthalmitis. No connection whatsoever to squamous cell carcinoma or ddg/cgf/sulfur.

IBR/Mycoplasma/Moraxella/other bacteria can cause the 'pinkeye' lesion.
Calves with failure of passive transfer of maternal antibodies can sometimes develop hypopyon/uveitis/ophthalmitis as a result of bacterial septicemia.

You're looking for stuff that's not there.

Oh, and from your most recent locked thread: livestock feed contaminated with a corn-based toxin led to waves of product recalls - they're referring to aflatoxin, NOT sulfur.

Lucky_P
Thank you very much.
That is exactly what I was going to point out.
Calves with failure of passive transfer of maternal antibodies can sometimes develop hypopyon/uveitis/ophthalmitis as a result of bacterial septicemia.
Which is evidence by the calf's eyes, that was born with a compromised immune system and blindness.
And as the calf was born with a compromised immune system and blindness, it stands to reason, the cow also suffers from a compromised immune system, which is one of the many symptoms of PEM.

Now the question is, Why is the cow's immune system compromised and why is she suffering from PEM like symptoms.?
A. The cow was feed DDG/DDGS, which is known to cause a compromised immune system because of the high sulfur content, which Pudden's momma was.
I don't thing you need more evidence then that to conclude that DDG/DDGS was the true cause, as the water was tested.
Therefore: DDG/DDGS when fed, with high levels of sulfur, causes PEM.
And as cancer-eye/blindness, as well as "diseased and unsound animals", all symptoms of PEM, I strongly suspect this case of polio like symptoms was caused by feeding DDG/DDGS.

And as I said before, the ball is now in the CDC's court.
The question now is, will they, as they have in the past, cover up the truth for political reasons.

Unless of course you have some other hypothesis.
Thanks again
Liz

FYI:
hoof loss is also another symptom of PEM along with cancer eye and blindness.

As cattle trailers that had traveled up to four hours in 95-degree heat began to unload, 15 heifers and steers hobbled down the ramps on August 5, barely able to walk. The reason: The animals had lost their hooves, according to U.S. Department of Agriculture documents reviewed by Reuters. The documents show the 15 animals were destroyed.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/12/ ... NV20131230
IMO, " four hours in 95-degree heat " is a short trip and should not cause any damage to any animal, unless of course they were unsound before the trip even started.
Liz

Lucky_P

Re: "they're referring to aflatoxin, "

Mold has been feed to cattle for many years in higher doses then today with little ill effects.
Think of ground corn on the cob with husk in place with mold being fed to cattle.

Now think shelling corn in the field with a machine to remove the husk, cob and dust and dirt with a fan.
Then running it into a bin, also with a vent fan running to remove dust and dirt.
Then grinding that corn in with several other filler products instead of just feeding ground corn, as it was in the past.
Then there is DDG & DDGS that has been, run through sever other elevators and fans when conveyed into the plant where it is washed.
Now, how much mold do you really think is left in that corn or by-product?
One part in a trillion? Maybe?
Plus, even today some cattlemen still use standing corn for winter pasture and I'm sure it has some mold on it.
Liz

Sir Loin/NCLiz,
Your lunacy knows no bounds.
I'm reluctant to rise, again, to your trolling, but for the possibility that someone might believe even a smidgen of the bullflop that you continue to throw out here.

There is no connection - other than those you've manufactured in your own delusional little world - between polioencephalomalacia in ruminants and impaired immune function, failure of passive transfer, lameness, loss of hooves, blindness, squamous cell carcinoma, or poliomyelitis-like conditions in monogastric species.
You make these claims as if they were documented phenomenon - but the only place they exist is in your own twisted mind. They are, as Sen. Harry Reid is so fond of saying, "Manufactured from whole cloth. Total lies."

'Mold' and mycotoxins are not the same; and they have nothing to do with sulfur, ddg, or cgf. Yes, mycotoxins are produced by molds, but not all molds produce mycotoxins; not all molds that have the capability to produce mycotoxins do so - specific conditions are required, and additionally, some strains produce higher levels of toxin than others. Most mycotoxins are produced by fungi growing on/in the corn grain while it is developing on the ear, in the field; not necessarily during storage. Mycotoxins are IN the kernel - they are not a surface mold that can be removed by blowing/washing. Grain containing toxic levels of mycotoxins may not appear visibly 'moldy'.
And yes, 'moldy' feed was/has been fed - I have fed ground ear corn, 40 years ago - but not necessarily without ill effect. Animals were damaged, some died, some were able to survive despite subclinical effects of the mycotoxins or molds that they may have ingested.
Depending upon which species a grain product or manufactured feed is destined to be fed to, there are established allowable levels for the mycotoxins such as aflatoxin, fumonisins, etc. - allowances which are based upon scientific analysis - not the whims and delusions of some crackpot.
Hence the occasional recalls of pet foods, etc. due to the presence of mycotoxins in levels above those allowed.

Now, to the article you've linked, alleging 'cancer eye' *might* be the 'disease' behind a meat recall - because cull dairy cows tend to be older than feedlot steers/heifers... sensational claims intended to inflame the largely ignorant consumer.
Yes, cull dairy cows would be older than a 14-18 month old feedlot calf. But, since most commercial dairy cows last less than 3 lactations anymore, the majority would be going to slaughter by 5-6 years of age(that's older than 18 months); rarely does squamous cell carcinoma occur in an animal that young. I have seen SCC in a Holstein dairy cow, but it's pretty uncommon - due to a number of factors.
So... this is a sensational article, penned by someone who knows little or nothing about cattle. Right up your alley, SL.

Lucky_P
Well, unlike you, I will RESPECTFULLY agree to disagree with you.
I have quoted sources, complete with URL to backup my statements, and that is all I can do for you.
Have a nice day
Liz

NCLiz 3":1kueyak0 said:
Lucky_P
Well, unlike you, I will RESPECTFULLY agree to disagree with you.
I have quoted sources, complete with URL to backup my statements, and that is all I can do for you.
Have a nice day
Liz
Your quoted sources are basically the guys at the local diner, a rancher and an anonymous butcher.
I think I'll go with a vets opinion over your sources.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts