(Dairy) CMT

Help Support CattleToday:

MikeJoel

Reaction score
Is CMT accurate enough to use alone to make sure a cow is over a case of mastitis? For consumption I mean.

Also what is the standard practice after a cow is over mastitis for putting those teats back into the milk collection? (meaning milk out so many times, or waiting so many days?)

Thanks
Mike

yes you can use the cmt test to see if a cows milk is clear.as for the consumption of the milk folloe your drug treatment labels on your milk withdrawl period.some say withold milk for 3 milking or 36hrs.an some say hold milk for 5 or 6 milkings 60 to 72hrs.after that time milk is safe to drink again.

I believe Piruse is the shortest out there with a 36hr withdrawal - Today one of the longer with a 96hr withdrawal. What did you end up using?

And it's a withdrawal on all four quarters, not just the treated one.

Every animal has a different metabolic rate that the medicine is excreted out of their body. Pirsue is supposed to have a 36 hour milkhold, but I have had cows go longer than that, and with other drugs with 96 hour, go shorter, have to absolutely do an antibiotic test on any milk before putting it in the tank, do not go by what the labels say. I also find that the CMT test can be misleading to the actual cell count on cows, some will show a gel, when in fact they have low cell counts, usually a cow with muliple gels, more than 1 quarter, have high cells, also a good way to tell which organism is the problem is to submit a culture and sensitivity test thru your milk company/lab, then treat accordingly with the drugs they suggest.

Hope this helps

GMN

CMT's can be a good indicator as to high cell counts, but I agree with the rest on here...safest way is to have a culture ran through a lab.

Latest posts