Daily water consumption per cow?

Help Support CattleToday:

Cormac

Reaction score
I have a opportunity to use some land (20 acres) nearby that does not have water. I might put 5 cows, heifers, or maybe Pairs there. Let's say I put in a water trough that might hold 500 gallons and I estimate cows at 1200 to 1400 pounds. Will it go a week, less more? We can estimate how much hay per day on this board, any ideas on water consumption per cow per day for a 12-1400 pound cow? I want to make sure I have plenty of water, even in Summer months.

Cormac":96oo2ax8 said:
I have a opportunity to use some land (20 acres) nearby that does not have water. I might put 5 cows, heifers, or maybe Pairs there. Let's say I put in a water trough that might hold 500 gallons and I estimate cows at 1200 to 1400 pounds. Will it go a week, less more? We can estimate how much hay per day on this board, any ideas on water consumption per cow per day for a 12-1400 pound cow? I want to make sure I have plenty of water, even in Summer months.
We had cattle in a pen at the guy up the roads place he was on rural water. It came out to be 17 gallons per head per day. The cattle were there during the spring summer and fall. Grain diet. High dry matter %. I emptied the yard before winter. It really surprised me the amount of water they used. Surprised the owner of the farm even more when he got the water bill. I never put cattle there again.

Take a look at this. We haul water every day and some summer days have to make 2 trips.

Table 1. Estimated daily water intakes (gallons per head per day) for lactating beef cows, bred cows, dry cows, and bulls.

-------------------------------------------------------
Dry Cows,
Monthly Lactating Bred Cows,
Month Average Temp Cows and Heifers Bulls
(�F) - - gallons per head per day - -
January 36 11.0 6.0 7.0
February 40 11.5 6.0 8.0
March 50 12.5 6.5 8.6
April 64 15.5 8.0 10.5
May 73 17.0 9.0 12.0
June 78 17.5 10.0 13.0
July 90 16.5 14.5 19.0
August 88 16.5 14.0 18.0
September 78 17.5 10.0 13.0
October 68 16.5 8.5 11.5
November 52 13.0 6.5 9.0
December 38 11.0 6.0 7.5
Adapted from GPE-1400, Water Requirements for Beef Cattle.

The spacing is not very good, but you get the point. The first column is average daily temp, second column for lactating cows, third column for dry cows, bred cows, and heifers, fourth column for bulls.

Well after a bad experience this past weekend and one of those OH CRAP moments I now know that cows can live without water for 40 hours :oops:

BTRANCH":2tyxgj6c said:
Take a look at this. We haul water every day and some summer days have to make 2 trips.

Table 1. Estimated daily water intakes (gallons per head per day) for lactating beef cows, bred cows, dry cows, and bulls.

Dry Cows,
Monthly Lactating Bred Cows,
Month Average Temp Cows and Heifers Bulls
(�F) - - gallons per head per day - -
January 36 11.0 6.0 7.0
February 40 11.5 6.0 8.0
March 50 12.5 6.5 8.6
April 64 15.5 8.0 10.5
May 73 17.0 9.0 12.0
June 78 17.5 10.0 13.0
July 90 16.5 14.5 19.0
August 88 16.5 14.0 18.0
September 78 17.5 10.0 13.0
October 68 16.5 8.5 11.5
November 52 13.0 6.5 9.0
December 38 11.0 6.0 7.5
Adapted from GPE-1400, Water Requirements for Beef Cattle.

The spacing is not very good, but you get the point. The first column is average daily temp, second column for lactating cows, third column for dry cows, bred cows, and heifers, fourth column for bulls.
Interesting chart, from past experience I would say it is pretty darn close (for lactating cows anyway). It will of course fluctuate depending on feed though.

Looks like you're going to be hauling water! :) Provided that the land is nearby, you should be checking the every day anyway so you can keep an eye on the water.

Good info provided above. You can get some figures that are pretty close, just keep that water trough full! You can get one of those big plastic tanks to go in the back of your truck to haul it in.......

It is interesting how much more water cattle will drink if they are eating dry feed. I'm feeding about 95% corn silage, and they don't go though 1/4 the water they did while on hay.

Seems if you take the high estimate for summer at 20 gallons a day, the 500 gallon tank should last a minimum of 5 days for the 5 head. A little bigger tank will allow you to haul just once a week.

I know from showing that:

A lactating cow or mature bull will drink 2 buckets of water each time I water them, which is four times a day. One bucket is 15 L so 120 L a day.

A heifer, young bulll or steer will drink 1 bucket each time I water, so that is 60 L a day.

That is during spring/summer, and on dry feed (hay and grain).

One catch to figuring consumption too close is the tendency of cattle to start mauling tubs/tanks around when they get too low. When our 150 gal tubs get down to about 6 inches they'll tip them overt to easier reach the water then start punting them around the pasture cause they've emptied them. That's the reason I put in water points all over the place. Keep the tubs full and you don;t have to go hunting the tubs.

If you have a dry summer and have to feed hay in the summer they will drink 20 to 25 gal/day. At least mine did last summer.
not only is it hot but they have to wet the hay too so it goes up.

i figure a cow will drink 20 gal a day yr round.so thats 100 gal everyday.so youd need to check the water trough every other day.calves you need to add 50 gal of water a day tobe safe.

I was hesitant to post earlier because my numbers seemed so different than what was posted. I have a 625 gallon trough that has not gone below half in a week with 5 cows with calfs and a bull. I put that trough out in Feb. this year. We have had a wet year though. Still havn't put an automatic valve on it.

Walt

I had 52 cows/calves/bull with 165 gal. tank and 1600 gal. tank to haul water in and filled truck every 4 days. This was right thru the summer, but I was'nt in Tex. and d..n sure don't want to be in the summer.

I have found that they drink a heck of lot more if you are hauling it to them.

Try to have storage or trough capacity for at least a couple of days - things invariably go wrong when you are hauling water to livestock.

Rule of thumb is supposed to be 10 gal per head per day, but hot weather and the hauling factor mentioned above make be think more like 25.

Latest posts