Daily Chuckle

Help Support CattleToday:

One of the 'people behind the tall wooden fences' here raises poultry. I used to hear their roosters every morning and thru the day. One night I heard owls hooting in the big tree in the corner of their yard nearest me and loud chicken noises. I haven't heard a rooster or any chicken noises since...

main-qimg-c938fb63eece50844a43fd36f87981d9

"First nations writing" now?

No, those signs now say petroglyphs. I'm not 100% sure but I think that sign is on Potash Road in Moab. Honestly, the petroglyphs are really cool. Some info that probably means nothing to most. Petroglyphs are just etched into the stone and pictographs have pigments as well as etching, usually. It's pretty impressive to me that the pigments are still there and fairly vivid. No idea what they used for pigments, but they've been there for 100's of years...and tend to be pretty cool

No, those signs now say petroglyphs. I'm not 100% sure but I think that sign is on Potash Road in Moab. Honestly, the petroglyphs are really cool. Some info that probably means nothing to most. Petroglyphs are just etched into the stone and pictographs have pigments as well as etching, usually. It's pretty impressive to me that the pigments are still there and fairly vivid. No idea what they used for pigments, but they've been there for 100's of years...and tend to be pretty cool
My favorite panel...
Lone Warrior pictograph on a sandstone wall in the San Rafael Swell.

They call it Lone Warrior... but I think he's just standing with the sun behind him. Some of this rock art is powerful stuff.

I've seen a lot of 4000 year old pictographs down at Seminole canyon in SW Texas near the junction where Pecos River flows into the Rio Grande.
In Panther Cave Seminole Canyon Tx.

panthercave.jpg
From different caves in the same area:

seminole pictos.jpg

From the Texas Parks/Wildlife Historical interpretive website:

Of course, art supply stores did not exist hundreds or thousands of years ago. Early artisans obtained everything they needed from nature – variously colored minerals for paint pigments, animal fats and urine for binders, shells or flat rocks for palettes, and fibrous plant leaves for brushes. The canyon walls themselves served as blank canvas.
According to the park's tour guide, the hand paintings were made with a mixture of deer blood and local inorganic soil.

Ken, hand prints must have been a thing way back when too....

From the same caves down at Seminole Canyon Texas

handprint.jpg

When I was a teenager we had a family get to gather at grandma's and grandpa's. For some reason we always had more steak than people. Someone sat the plater of steaks on a low table, grandpa's dog helped himself to a steak. He made the mistake of sitting right alongside grandpa, the poor dog lost his steak, and got put outside.