Daddy Issues

Help Support CattleToday:

True Grit Farms said:
Allenw said:
Branded your just another person chasing numbers and riding someone elses coat tails at this point. Always remember don't put all your eggs in one basket.

Don't use his name in your post, all you do is give him more free advertising.

If MOD2 would allow me to change my screen name to "Angus Whisperer" I would gladly agree to do it in a second. That totally dispels what you just said.

Allenw said:
Branded your just another person chasing numbers and riding someone elses coat tails at this point. Always remember don't put all your eggs in one basket.

You may be able to ride someone else's coat tails but your own reputation will be what sells.

And even then, if you exasperate the price, or the price you think something is worth... you'll be sitting on them for awhile.

NEFarmwife said:
Allenw said:

You may be able to ride someone else's coat tails but your own reputation will be what sells.

And even then, if you exasperate the price, or the price you think something is worth... you'll be sitting on them for awhile.

Really? Midland has already committed to 5 bulls already. With a further commitment of more if they like what they see. I may take more than you think out there if things work out to my satisfaction.

If I fall on my face out there, YOU ALL CAN HOWL! Like hyenas.

BUT.......If they don't, I will get the last laugh. After all, they are coming from OUR Branded females.

************* said:
NEFarmwife said:
Allenw said:

Really? Midland has already committed to 5 bulls already. With a further commitment of more if they like what they see. I may take more than you think out there if things work out to my satisfaction.
You do realize that their commitment to your future progeny doesn't mean a whole lot? "Sure, we'd love for you to bring you bulls"...

That is their business, no?

************* said:
If I fall on my face out there, YOU ALL CAN HOWL! Like hyenas.

BUT.......If they don't, I will get the last laugh. After all, they are coming from OUR Branded females.

I've never even seen a salebook and all your for sale ads have been on cattle sales boards... many of which you've allegedly sold but never transferred. Interesting, since all this "paper" and "quality" is what you're all about but new owners don't even take proper ownership.

************* said:
Allenw said:

We are given tools (semen straws, DNA, etc), and they are actually quite inexpensive overall. Anyone can do what we are doing, it's just a question of how badly you want it, and some want it more than others, and it's completely fine if you don't want it more than others.

I guess I have to break it down like this. If you are building a hot rod, and you put on accessories, are you riding others coattails? Does a Holly carburetor or nitrous make you a follower, not a leader? They are merely tools you are using to achieve your ends. At the end of the day, SAV is not down here rounding up cattle and breeding them for us, they are telling us what we should be breeding to what, that is what we are doing. I just put a lot of Hoover Dam in the tank this week, am I riding the coattails of Hoover Angus, or using Hoover Dam as a tool.

I will profess, I cannot go to the stockyards, pinhook a bull, and have his progeny go straight into the Select Sires lineup. Nor do I think anyone else can on this board.

When you go on and on and on forever and ever about name brand parts on your hot rod people might think your a moronic arse. Other then that they could care less unless they were really impressed with the final product.

You'll be sitting on any bull with a 100lb BW around here. And it doesn't matter who or what he is.
If you send your $750 for each bull I'd imagine they'll take them. Midland is good but expensive and especially so if a bull doesn't make the cut for the sale. Had 3 out of 8 bulls that didn't make the Clemson bull sale on ADG this year. But in a couple of hours and a few dollars worth of fuel they were back home. That wouldn't work if they had been at the Midland test.
Hopefully you'll do good in the Midland test. The first year means nothing, repeat buyers is where the rubber meets road.

Some years I AI, some years buy registered bulls. I will not buy a bull that's NOT dna tested for epds and genetic defects. I run 800 mamas in my commercial herd. I always thought DNA /epd's was the whole point of a registered bull ? If the bulls sire is a CED 10 and BW 1.0 , but his dam is a CED 4 and 2.8 BW, without dna testing I wouldn't know what to do with the bull ? Maybe a heifer bull ? Maybe cows only? Dna is not always transferred equally 50/50 from sire and dam. Call me an old fashioned commercial guy as well as all my buddies , we shop the same way, DNA tested and defect tested , or don't waste our time.

JackAngus said:
Some years I AI, some years buy registered bulls. I will not buy a bull that's NOT dna tested for epds and genetic defects. I run 800 mamas in my commercial herd. I always thought DNA /epd's was the whole point of a registered bull ? If the bulls sire is a CED 10 and BW 1.0 , but his dam is a CED 4 and 2.8 BW, without dna testing I wouldn't know what to do with the bull ? Maybe a heifer bull ? Maybe cows only? Dna is not always transferred equally 50/50 from sire and dam. Call me an old fashioned commercial guy as well as all my buddies , we shop the same way, DNA tested and defect tested , or don't waste our time.
Hi Jack Angus!

So interesting. Do tell us how fast you were able to grow your herd?

BH, is that your other screen name?

JackAngus said:
Hi I am Jack from OKC. We run 50 head registered angus and 100 red angus commercial cattle. Discovered this site the other day while doing a google search of bulls. Nice to meet you all

************* said:
Based on your comment, I can now give you advice. We have more than 50, you keeping referring to an old article about us from Angus.org

Quality over quantity .

I will have my America progeny weaned before you even get your first semen shipment of him. Face it, I'm ahead of you in the genetics race, you can't keep up. I have resources to run circles around what you can produce from a genetic standpoint. Nobody in the Angus game is interested in the fact that you have 500 head, they are interested solely in genetic code. The best females are the absolute name of the game.

In 2020 we will begin cloning our very best females, can you keep up with that level of uniformity in your herd?

You are working hard, but not smart. Or maybe you just don't have what it takes to keep up.

Last week I stated one of your posts was the dumbest thing I ever read on CT. Scratch that, this was :bang: James, can you tell us all who does care that you will have America progeny? Do you have a line out your gate just dying to have America progeny? I can't think of a bull in this industry outside of a couple of show bulls that people just had to have. All you have to do is look at one of those moronic posts on Facebook, where some idiot humble brags about his donor cow, "Who should I breed to" and there are three hundred answers, all different bulls. You sure brag a lot of ranch/farm no one has ever heard of. 50 years in the biz and no one knows the prefix or advertises having Branded genetics. And please tell us all these people that are interested in the genetic code? James I kind of like you but your puffing up yourself, sounds ignorant and lacks any substance.

I've been following this thread with curiosity because of the Daddy mystery. I hope you are able to identify the sire. Who was he supposed to be sired by? What is/was his registration number? I imagine his papers are temporarily pulled until his sire can be identified as a registered Angus. If you would rather not say, that is fine. I have been told before that I am too nosy, but when I am curious, I ask. :)

I see this thread has somehow ended up mentioning the America bull. It has been almost 6 months since the sale, but he has not been transferred into the new owners name. I have to wonder why that is. When a bull is widely reported to have been sold for more than a one and 1/2 million, but never transfers, I don't think it's wrong to wonder why.

The America bull has a very old pedigree. It is not a pedigree where you would expect to see exceptional weaning weights. I have found many of the animals in that pedigree to be quite useful, but without proof from offspring or at least a genomic profile, I see no reason for that high sales price. I would sure be curious to know who it was that supposedly helped bid him up. For the most part his epd's are close to what one might expect from that mating. That is except for weaning weight. Calving ease direct, Calving ease of his daughters and Heifer pregnancy EPD's are all poor, and leave his $ Maternal in the bottom percentile of the Angus breed. A genomic profile would probably hurt that Weaning weight Epd, but I think it could only help most maternal traits. I know Branded likes him based on his female relatives and that is a good enough reason. I've used bulls for that same reason. I would not use America unless I had some proof he would work in my environment. The cows in that pedigree may be perfect for the Midwest, but I doubt they would work out West where cattle eat grass rather than corn.

Katpau said:
I've been following this thread with curiosity because of the Daddy mystery. I hope you are able to identify the sire. Who was he supposed to be sired by? What is/was his registration number? I imagine his papers are temporarily pulled until his sire can be identified as a registered Angus. If you would rather not say, that is fine. I have been told before that I am too nosy, but when I am curious, I ask. :)

I would rather not put the operations name out there. Last time something like this was posted up, it was an all out attack on the operation. An assault, if you will. I respect this operation. I have a shirt that says "do no harm but take no sh*t"... it is not my intent to bring any ill towards the operation whom sold us a bull that may or may not be sired by whom they said because I don't feel it was purposeful. But it is my duty, especially on a board with fellow cattlemen, to discuss an inherit lack of duty from the association to look out for the buyer. I know as well as anyone else, it's easy to do and I guess that's why I feel it's almost necessary. I've seen mommas claim other calves. I've watched them birth and leave that one to race over to the other. I am GLUED to our birthing cameras.

I feel strongly that parentage be done on anything registered. Some of our females, we can't parent verify because most the dams were never sampled but we can do OUR best in going forward and verifying anything we've bred.

Katpau said:
The cows in that pedigree may be perfect for the Midwest, but I doubt they would work out West where cattle eat grass rather than corn.

Where in the world did you get the idea that midwest cows eat corn instead of grass? Some of the things that are posted on this website just make my head hurt. :roll:

Latest posts