Daddy Issues

Help Support CattleToday:

NEFarmwife said:
JackAngus said:
Some years I AI, some years buy registered bulls. I will not buy a bull that's NOT dna tested for epds and genetic defects. I run 800 mamas in my commercial herd. I always thought DNA /epd's was the whole point of a registered bull ? If the bulls sire is a CED 10 and BW 1.0 , but his dam is a CED 4 and 2.8 BW, without dna testing I wouldn't know what to do with the bull ? Maybe a heifer bull ? Maybe cows only? Dna is not always transferred equally 50/50 from sire and dam. Call me an old fashioned commercial guy as well as all my buddies , we shop the same way, DNA tested and defect tested , or don't waste our time.
Hi Jack Angus!

So interesting. Do tell us how fast you were able to grow your herd?

BH, is that your other screen name?

JackAngus said:
Hi I am Jack from OKC. We run 50 head registered angus and 100 red angus commercial cattle. Discovered this site the other day while doing a google search of bulls. Nice to meet you all

Does this look like Kentucky to you ? Whatever arguments you 2 have. Keep me out of it. I am here to learn

Davemk said:
Katpau said:
The cows in that pedigree may be perfect for the Midwest, but I doubt they would work out West where cattle eat grass rather than corn.

Where in the world did you get the idea that midwest cows eat corn instead of grass? Some of the things that are posted on this website just make my head hurt. :roll:
You are right. My comment was actually meant for Branded, not everyone in the MidWest. I am sorry. As a former Minnesota girl my assumption was based on my own observations from my area, and I am sure it is not true in every area. I grew up with Dairy cows and I did not know anyone East of the Dakotas that didn't use a lot of corn. Actually beef cattle were rare in Central Minnesota at the time, and the country I lived in was pretty much all row crops and Dairy. Branded freely admits to being generous with the groceries, but it was unfair to say that is true of everyone.

I stand by my belief that cattle with mature weights suggested by the numbers on some SAV cattle, including America, would need more than poor quality grass to thrive. That is why I think many of the SAV cattle are much more suited to areas with green grass and cheap corn. In this area corn is always very expensive because of transportation costs. Summers are very dry and since I moved here in 1992 I discovered that our actual growing season for grasses was shorter then it was in Minnesota. Winters are too cool and summers too hot and dry. The cattle are eating dry mature grasses from June until September or October. If it rains before it gets cold there is a brief growing season in the Fall, but mid March to May are the best for grass. The best cows for this area, in my opinion, are 1100 to 1300 pounds. Some cows won't be seen from Spring turnout until they are gathered up in the Fall, so they need to be able to survive on the available forage. Breeding to a terminal bull works well. America or his sons may be that bull, but I would need some proof. As far as breeding for daughters, his current numbers would say no.

Jeanne - Simme Valley said:
I think that was more of a "slam" rather than an actual statement of "fact". I could be wrong!
Sorry about that.
It was not meant to be a fact at all. Just my opinion. I was trying to find a simple way to say that I found it unlikely that cattle with such high numbers for mature height and weight would do well in a tougher environment. SAV uses bloodlines similar to what was popular everywhere not long ago, so I am sure they do have cattle that would work here. I get the feeling they value growth over some more maternal traits, so that could make their cattle less useful in dry environments. I also think they are one of the few breeders who prefer looks over things like carcass numbers, and I enjoy that. There are a lot of Angus that are tough to look at in my opinion.

Katpau said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley said:
I think that was more of a "slam" rather than an actual statement of "fact". I could be wrong!
Sorry about that.
It was not meant to be a fact at all. Just my opinion. I was trying to find a simple way to say that I found it unlikely that cattle with such high numbers for mature height and weight would do well in a tougher environment. SAV uses bloodlines similar to what was popular everywhere not long ago, so I am sure they do have cattle that would work here. I get the feeling they value growth over some more maternal traits, so that could make their cattle less useful in dry environments. I also think they are one of the few breeders who prefer looks over things like carcass numbers, and I enjoy that. There are a lot of Angus that are tough to look at in my opinion.
And I honestly believe that you're statement is right in line with a lot of folk who raise calves. What I understood from your statement was "shoveling feed" vs "providing resources".

As I am in the heart of the "best of the best" when it comes to cheap commodities and grass, it really costs nothing to feed cattle that require more. Don't take nothing literal.

JMJ Farms said:
JackAngus said:
Hi I am Jack from OKC. We run 50 head registered angus and 100 red angus commercial cattle.
JackAngus said:
Some years I AI, some years buy registered bulls. I run 800 mamas in my commercial herd.
:pop:
Nothing to see here. Apparently, that was a state by state statement?

Lady. I don't know what your problem is , but like I said. I am not a child go find someone else to pick a fight with. Judging by some of your comments, everything you say is negative. I have been in the cattle business longer than you have been alive.

Katpau: I don't think we will see a transfer in ownership, I believe Herbster only bought semen 80% of it. Which means SAV keeps 20% to create "North America" who will devalue America, because he will be the next great thing or if we are real lucky we will get flush mates....South America, Central America and Merica. And then we can debate ad nauseam which of them is the better AI sire, while none of them ever crack the top25 in registrations. Stay posted.

JackAngus said:
Lady. I don't know what your problem is , but like I said. I am not a child go find someone else to pick a fight with. Judging by some of your comments, everything you say is negative. I have been in the cattle business longer than you have been alive.

Impossible! I'm 800 years old!

JackAngus said:
NEFarmwife said:
JackAngus said:
Some years I AI, some years buy registered bulls. I will not buy a bull that's NOT dna tested for epds and genetic defects. I run 800 mamas in my commercial herd. I always thought DNA /epd's was the whole point of a registered bull ? If the bulls sire is a CED 10 and BW 1.0 , but his dam is a CED 4 and 2.8 BW, without dna testing I wouldn't know what to do with the bull ? Maybe a heifer bull ? Maybe cows only? Dna is not always transferred equally 50/50 from sire and dam. Call me an old fashioned commercial guy as well as all my buddies , we shop the same way, DNA tested and defect tested , or don't waste our time.
Hi Jack Angus!

So interesting. Do tell us how fast you were able to grow your herd?

BH, is that your other screen name?

JackAngus said:
Hi I am Jack from OKC. We run 50 head registered angus and 100 red angus commercial cattle. Discovered this site the other day while doing a google search of bulls. Nice to meet you all

Does this look like Kentucky to you ? Whatever arguments you 2 have. Keep me out of it. I am here to learn
[/quote

Doesn't look real close to OKC to me either.

TennesseeTuxedo said:
Might be New Mexico.

Speaking of location, I just saw yours. A very good friend of mine just moved there to be closer to her parents (they own part of the Nash Preds and a massive farm that raises elk or something for lean meat)... She loves Franklin.

NEFarmwife said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:
Might be New Mexico.

Speaking of location, I just saw yours. A very good friend of mine just moved there to be closer to her parents (they own part of the Nash Preds and a massive farm that raises elk or something for lean meat)... She loves Franklin.

We've been in the Brentwood/Franklin area for 30 years now. We like it as well.

TennesseeTuxedo said:
NEFarmwife said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:
Might be New Mexico.

We've been in the Brentwood/Franklin area for 30 years now. We like it as well.
Must be nice.... :D

Dave said:
TN Cattle Man said:
I have spent entirely too much time reading this thread... and I'm not sure if any the wiser for it!

That is pretty much the issue with the entire board these days.
It is what the members make it so no one to blame but ourselves. It will evolve over time.

Ken

Latest posts