Cypress calf crop 2010

Help Support CattleToday:

cypressfarms

Reaction score
I've been receiving e-mails and pm's wondering if I had lost my mind with the Longhorns, and if I still had my Brangus and Beefmasters.

Just to show that black is alive and well at Cypress Farms, I've attached some pics of this years calves (some were born late last year). Some of these might be good replacements, but with the price high like it is now, it's harder to keep 'em. Well here's some of the calves:

Had a big surpise yeterday - this limo heifer popped out a black calf. I didn't even think she was pregnant :lol2: She didn't have any bag at all, but it's dropping now after the calf was born:

1newcalf.jpg

Nice young brangus heifer:
1heifer1.jpg

Another brangus heifer:
1heifer.jpg

Couple of steers:
1bullcalves.jpg

I really like the look of this bull calf. He might keep his jewels if he grows out well - he's full Angus:
1bullcalf.jpg

I had to throw in one beefmaster heifer that I like:
heifer5.jpg

This heifer was born 11/09 - out of a beefmaster, sired by my Angus plus - I really like her:
brangusreplace.jpg

Another steer:
8acalf.jpg

Decent young heifer:
13heifer.jpg

So that gives you a look at my black gold. Tear any up if you want!

that beefmaster looks familiar.

i really like the beefmaster x angus+

Cattleman200":2nh7hl7z said:
Is that Limo heifer supposed to be a purebred?

Circle H Ranch

Nope - very few of the cows at my place are "purebred". I got her as a young heifer with a group of other commercial "limos". Do you have limos?

The angus bullcalf isn't sound enough even at a young age, it won't get ny better with more age/weight.

bigbull338":16it7z9v said:
you have a fine looking set of calves there.

Thanks bigbull, the angus plus x beefmaster cross has probably been the nicest I've done.

I'm going to try a charolais on the beefmasters to see how that does, and I'm planning on getting a hereford bull in the future to breed the brangus cows. I like the Aplus bull I have, and you can't argue with zero calves lost, but I believe I'm losing beef production by using him instead of another breed. He has made some really good replacements though, but they all are light boned.

Kersey - I know what you mean about the angus bull calf - his "wheels" don't look great. We'll see - he has a couple of more months to go.

if your wanting the extra lbs on your calves.try putting a beefmaster bull on your angus an brangus cows.that should put on the extra lbs your wanting.but the char bull might do that as well.but seriopusly id think of breeding your cross heifers to a beefmaster bull.

bigbull338":39a88ekg said:
if your wanting the extra lbs on your calves.try putting a beefmaster bull on your angus an brangus cows.that should put on the extra lbs your wanting.but the char bull might do that as well.but seriopusly id think of breeding your cross heifers to a beefmaster bull.

I thought about a beefmaster bull long and hard, but I didn't want to take a hit on the steers for too much ear. The future for us will probably be a hereford on the the brangus and a charolais on the beefmasters/& other colored cows. That way, I should be able to get good prices for steers and heifers; hopefully.

Yes I do raise Limousin Cattle. Your heifer from what I can see laying down looks more like a beefmaster than a limi except for maybe the white around the nose and eyes which probably makes her at least a percentage limi.

Circle H Ranch

I like - especially the beefmaster. If I had a pile of $$$ show up, that's the kind of girls I'd like to go buy.

Cattleman200":1sik7f2t said:
Yes I do raise Limousin Cattle. Your heifer from what I can see laying down looks more like a beefmaster than a limi except for maybe the white around the nose and eyes which probably makes her at least a percentage limi.

Circle H Ranch

She doesn't have enough ear or dewlap to be too much beefmaster. Almost all of the cows I have are "percentages". When I call a cow by a breed, I'm speaking very loosely. Basically I call them by what they look most like, but as long as they are good momas I don't care what the percentages are. All of the "limo" heifers that I bought calved this year, with very little problems. Next year they'll be throwing Charolais cross calves. They seem to fit in nice, however much limo % they have.

The majority of your calves are really really nice. I especially like the first Brangus Heifer
I would seriously think about cutting your Angus bull calf, and unless that is a really bad pic, I really don't see what you like about your 11/09 heifer - too fine bone, leggy & lacking butt.
But, all in all, good group of calves.
Is that a line of "inline" wrapped baleage?

Jeanne - Simme Valley":1vf7x2eq said:
I really don't see what you like about your 11/09 heifer - too fine bone, leggy & lacking butt.
Is that a line of "inline" wrapped baleage?

The 11/09 heifer does have a good rear, though you can't tell from the picture - that she got from her beefmaster moma. She is fine boned, though, and that's the only complaint that I have with my Angus plus bull. Most of his calves are "small boned", they look great up top, but from the top of the leg down they look light. The bull in question is getting to the end of his career here, and a charolais and hereford will be the future bull battery. Crossed with my cows, we should have no fine boned calves, hopefully. Maybe then I can be looking like your avatar, Jeanne ;-)

That is a line of baleage freshly put up - good eyes! My next door neighbor just bought about 50 registered angus heifers and he's feeding them hard. My poor cows look across the fence and wish. I'll have to put some pics of the heifers that he bought up. He got them all from some big outfit in Kansas. They all look like magazine girls now, hopefully for him they still will with calves at their side.

We have our hay put up in-line baleage so it kinda caught my eye. Also saw some nice fencing.

"freshly put up" - do you mean you already have started haying in your area? wow! I just turned out on grass last week. Well, they were allowed to "peck" a little prior to that.
(thanks for the comment of my avatar - Macho As U)

Jeanne - Simme Valley":3up747b6 said:
We have our hay put up in-line baleage so it kinda caught my eye. Also saw some nice fencing.

"freshly put up" - do you mean you already have started haying in your area? wow! I just turned out on grass last week. Well, they were allowed to "peck" a little prior to that.
(thanks for the comment of my avatar - Macho As U)

You also saw remnants of Gustav - I still haven't burned all the piles of trees dropped by the hurricane. Yes, people are making hay all around me. I would have normally had one cutting of hay on my ryegrass by this time, but the lack of rain has made me graze it. The baleage apparently works for the neighbour, but you can smell it from a mile away. That stuff is seriously ripe!

Cypressfarms glad to see someone else with ear/crosses on here. Me and hubby bought our first 2 pregnant cows and our black angus cow had a tan long eared, long legged(so folks on here said) heifer which i posted and heard every weird comment imaginable about what might lurk in her woodpile but we don't care baby is thick-legged, hearty and never been sick.....i can learn a lot i think following some of your posts, very interesting. ill try to post pics