Cutting the last of the hay... finally

Help Support CattleToday:

Silver

Reaction score
Fully a month late, but cutting the last hay field now. Just a few oats after this. Forecast looks fair, so maybe we'll get to make some dry hay. I'll have close to 300 acres on the ground when this patch is done so I hope the weather man is correct for a change. The hay doesn't look to bad for the time of year, definitely past it's best but not awful.

Pi6BdgF.jpg

KTY6Qnc.jpg

You're well ahead of me. I've got about 80 acres left to drop. I won't complain as the yield is definitely there now. Seen a lot of guys go into debt buying hay to offset their lack of quantity this past winter. Cut early, lots of pretty punchy hay, but only 1/2 of what they need. Local guy did that again this year and he is real short again. Cows don't do very well on willows, cedar and spruce boughs.

I got one field I might get a little bit of 3rd cut off.. make some really good replacement heifer food! maybe cut it in 10 days

We got really nice warm weather here, hope it holds out for you

Aaron said:
What model MacDon and how do you like it?

It's actually a 313 New Holland. And I really like it.
We have a neighbour who just had heart surgery so when I finished up today I went and climbed in his tractor to do some cutting for him. He has a pretty new MacDon, I have to say it seems like a pretty nice machine. Very quiet. If I end up running it long enough to have an educated opinion on it I'll let you know.

Silver said:
Aaron said:
What model MacDon and how do you like it?

It's actually a 313 New Holland. And I really like it.
We have a neighbour who just had heart surgery so when I finished up today I went and climbed in his tractor to do some cutting for him. He has a pretty new MacDon, I have to say it seems like a pretty nice machine. Very quiet. If I end up running it long enough to have an educated opinion on it I'll let you know.

Ah yes, bigger screen I can see the NH decal.

Silver said:
Fully a month late, but cutting the last hay field now. Just a few oats after this. Forecast looks fair, so maybe we'll get to make some dry hay. I'll have close to 300 acres on the ground when this patch is done so I hope the weather man is correct for a change. The hay doesn't look to bad for the time of year, definitely past it's best but not awful.

Pi6BdgF.jpg

KTY6Qnc.jpg

Nice and thick! Where are you located ? We in NM finish our last cut the end of Oct.

Lucky you, we have another 8 days cutting minimum with two discbines. Making up for quality with quantity. Raining again this weekend. 550 bales down at present.

Pretty hay. Very seldom do we have any that looks that nice and green, except alfalfa. We are working on some 2nd cutting orchard grass right now. First cutting was pretty good, although some was a bit late with some rainy weather. This is light but it dried real good as we have had a couple of days of 80's and no humidity. Got about 400 sq bales off maybe 20 acres, so not as good as it could be but this is mostly all "for sale" hay. Or I should say, already sold hay to a couple of regular horse customers. Got a couple more places to cut but it will wait til after the possible weather we might get from Hurricane Dorian. They can't decide where it is going to come ashore, or what path it is going to take....

Richnm said:
What's your elevation ? We're about 5,200 in the city , 7,000 are most ranches.

We are only about 2,100 feet here.
It's alfalfa / brome / timothy plus whatever volunteered to join in the fun.

farmerjan said:
Pretty hay. Very seldom do we have any that looks that nice and green, except alfalfa. We are working on some 2nd cutting orchard grass right now. First cutting was pretty good, although some was a bit late with some rainy weather. This is light but it dried real good as we have had a couple of days of 80's and no humidity. Got about 400 sq bales off maybe 20 acres, so not as good as it could be but this is mostly all "for sale" hay. Or I should say, already sold hay to a couple of regular horse customers. Got a couple more places to cut but it will wait til after the possible weather we might get from Hurricane Dorian. They can't decide where it is going to come ashore, or what path it is going to take....

I made my first ever square bales today. I picked up my share as a kid but never made any. Bought an old Massey 9 last fall for $500 and thought I'd try to make some horse hay for travelling to high school rodeo's this coming fall and spring. I made 27 bales and it was an ordeal. The crop was so heavy the bales were coming out end to end. Some tied and some not. I got a bit of an education pretty fast, not certain I want to learn more. But at $10 per bale I made back over half my investment.

Looks good, we're done for the year as of a couple of weeks ago. Lots of hay getting rained on this weekend around us. I like making small squares, use an old IH 430, but I don't make too many cause I'm the one that has to haul and stackem, but a few are always handy to have.

Got about 20 acres left to do before I'm done. Just waiting on the weather. Been cool and damp here with high temps in the 50s and 60s and nights in the 30s and 40s so no way to make hay.

My only shot at finishing is if we get an "Indian summer" pretty quick so I can get things dry.

Latest posts