Cows harvesting the last cutting of hay

Help Support CattleToday:

Happy cows! I always enjoy watching and listening to them eat on a new field like that.

If you were going to have to feed it in the near future, might as well save some money.
Yeah it's been dry here for the last month so I'll be feeding hay after they are done with this.

Barns are all full of hay so this seemed like the best option.

That reminded me of about 40 years ago when we had a dry spell and one of my father's hay clients had a small field he wanted cut. Dad and his partner tried to convince the man to graze the field instead since it didn't have much grass on it. His response was "I don't want to waste that hay."

So they cut it. A day or two later they dropped me off at the field to start taking. It was an old single side delivery rake. Dad and his partner went to get some beer. It was about a 25 mile round trip. When they got back I turned around and moved a little hay up against the windrow I had spent that whole time raking toward the middle. If I remember right the field was about 15 acres, and I think I made two windrows for the baler.

Love to have that field here in OK right now. Those cows are a lot better shape than mine. About 1/2-3/4inch is all we've had since late June.

Latest posts