cutting off adult horn

Help Support CattleToday:

Talin

Reaction score
I have a pregnant cow due 1-3-13 that has a horn growing into her temple I have tried to ignore it but it has broken through the skin. I have bought an electric dehorner with the thought of burning the horn then using a saw blade in the burned region to minimize bleeding. I have also bought a temporary nose ring to control the head. I have a head gate in a calving barn to control her. I also bought some aluminum metal that I will shape with tin snips to put under the horn so I dont cut the skin. Any other thoughts I have a powder to minimize bleeding. Should I also vaccinate her at the same time?

Ditto - saw wire
If you can do it without blood its proof that you are a man :)

I get blood every time, but that doesn't hurt anything either :)

No need to cut off at the base. You have about an inch to two inches at the end of the horn to work with before you'll hit 'meat'.

Secure the head with a halter and tie head tight to the front side of the chute, opposite to what you need cut.

Use an OB wire with handles and a good pair of gloves. If you hit 'meat', cauterize the bleeding with the electric dehorner (a 'Rhinehart dehorner') and if it won't stop bleeding for you, grab a pair of locking forceps (called 'Kelly forceps') and grab onto the bleeding artery itself and yank it out, causing it to stretch/snap and seal itself. Make sure you cauterize well and I always slap some pine tar on the wound to keep dirt and bugs out of it.

Edit: The video is pretty sad in being any bit informative. On an animal like that, I would opt to use lidocaine and do nerve-blocking.

Although this video below doesn't show all the steps afterward, it shows 'better' restraint (I would tie the animal to the opposite side) and the use of a nerve block.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zF3_aIWV0j8

Thanks so much just ordered the wire much better idea than the electric saw idea my fingers and toes thank you :)

jerry27150":3pado26u said:
any hand saw or reciprocating saw works fine. cutting tip will bleed as much as anywhere.

A tree pruning lopper will take the tip, up to about 1" diameter, off in just a couple of seconds. Would think this quick cut would be less painful than any type of saw.

Just another 2 cents worth.

We always used the Keystone dehorner. Big and cumbersome but gets the job done even on large bulls. Just make sure you have the head of the animal well secured or you can easily get hurt.

Aaron":6kchwxp3 said:
No need to cut off at the base. You have about an inch to two inches at the end of the horn to work with before you'll hit 'meat'.

Secure the head with a halter and tie head tight to the front side of the chute, opposite to what you need cut.

Use an OB wire with handles and a good pair of gloves. If you hit 'meat', cauterize the bleeding with the electric dehorner (a 'Rhinehart dehorner') and if it won't stop bleeding for you, grab a pair of locking forceps (called 'Kelly forceps') and grab onto the bleeding artery itself and yank it out, causing it to stretch/snap and seal itself. Make sure you cauterize well and I always slap some pine tar on the wound to keep dirt and bugs out of it.

Edit: The video is pretty sad in being any bit informative. On an animal like that, I would opt to use lidocaine and do nerve-blocking.

Although this video below doesn't show all the steps afterward, it shows 'better' restraint (I would tie the animal to the opposite side) and the use of a nerve block.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zF3_aIWV0j8

We raise Horned Herfs and from what I can see, Aaron has his schitte together on this one

And lidocaine is good stuff - everyone should have some on hand

Do it the way Aaron has suggested and you will be fine - remove the tip and about two inches - it will take years for that horn to grow back.

If you are nervous about it call in a vet

This a quick and easy job - do it quiet and there is little to no fuss or fight

Pull in the reciprocating saw if you like - but you will have a fight and a good chance of being hurt or causing hurt

I could do it in a couple of minutes - no pain and no blood - no need to "man it up" because we are man and we can and they are animal and cannot - and cause pain or potential damage.

Soft and quiet is always the best way to work an animal

Have fun - best to all

Bez

Texas PaPaw":14v49rgk said:
jerry27150":14v49rgk said:
any hand saw or reciprocating saw works fine. cutting tip will bleed as much as anywhere.

A tree pruning lopper will take the tip, up to about 1" diameter, off in just a couple of seconds. Would think this quick cut would be less painful than any type of saw.

Just another 2 cents worth.

Lidocaine makes all cuts pain free

Best to all

Bez

The problem is this is a failed dehorning (recip I didn't pick her). The horn is about a cm from the skull I think the wire will work best. I could block at the base of the horn but where? I will try and do a pic. I hate to stress her this late in the pregnancy but am afraid it will prove fatal the horn is imbedded just above the orbital ridge. The horn is very thick not tapered at all

If you use an OB wire and take off the tip, you shouldn't need to block it. Just be sure to stabilize her head. Be careful putting her in a squeeze chute.

Do you have a veterinarian that you trust? It might be wise to get him/her to look at it. I don't know when she is due to calve, but you may be able to wait and fix her after she calves.

Thanks I don't think it will be a big deal the vet I have come out for management thought it should be easy and didn't seem interested in doing it himself. Although the recip also came from a vet I am starting to wonder horns may be like podiatry trying to get a physician to take care of an ingrown toenail isnt worth the effort. I think there may be an opportunity here for someone!:). At least will be a great business card!

I'll keep you updated she's in my calving pen with a show heifer to keep her happy

If you do not "want" the horn at all, have an elastrator band or two rolled up to the base of the horn. In a month or so, it will fall off completely. No blood.

Thanks saw wire worked great 5 minutes no blood and happy cow about a 2
cm depression above the orbital ridge glad I did it she went right back to grazing

Galloway2":2rvc6m7u said:
If you do not "want" the horn at all, have an elastrator band or two rolled up to the base of the horn. In a month or so, it will fall off completely. No blood.

I tried to band a horn on my only non polled cow last year and the band just kept sliding off. We were trying to place the band right at the base of the horn where it meets the skull. Right, wrong or better way?

I dehorned several last year with the green Cheerios . I had one cow with big horns I dehorned with surgical tubing . Works pretty well . All of these cows horns were regrowth from past removal.

robertwhite":1j1ha68u said:
Galloway2":1j1ha68u said:

I tried to band a horn on my only non polled cow last year and the band just kept sliding off. We were trying to place the band right at the base of the horn where it meets the skull. Right, wrong or better way?

I have not had the issue, but i see in other posts there have been some answers.

Latest posts