Cutting a longhorns horn

Help Support CattleToday:

For those of you banding the horns when calves are relatively young, how long does it take for the horns to fall off? Weeks, months?

Silver Do you have to get the band down into the hair at the base? [/quote said:
Some hair seems to help hold the band in place. Otherwise - many horns taper alot at the base and the band tends to roll up. Then you have a bit of a stub.

Horns are usually gone in a month, but sometimes one or more horns will stay on longer.

I decided not to fool with it. I bought her palpated 3 month bred from
A sale that would have put her having a March calf. Well it's april and calf still ain't showed up. I stopped by the vet he told me to bring her by and he repalpate her. I figure I bought her light bred she slipped the calf and maybe my bull bred her in Nov/dec when I put him
Out. I'll load her up here soon and haul her to vet if she comes up open I'll send her on to the sale barn if she's 4-5 months bred I'll bring her back
Home and let her hopefully calve out then I'll send her to a lease place I picked up as a turn out cow.

VaCowman said:
For those of you banding the horns when calves are relatively young, how long does it take for the horns to fall off? Weeks, months?

Yearlings or younger - a few weeks, older animals take a bit longer. I've got some friends that use the green cheerio bands on stock, but I've never had much luck getting them to stay in place. The callicrate type has always done a good job for me.

DCA farm said:
I've got a longhorn in my herd I'm looking at either cutting horns completely off or cutting them inside her ear spread. How y'all recommend me going about that. This is a 5 year old cow so she ain't got no baby horns she's heavy bred right now so it will have to be after she calves which would be any day now

Why do you want to cut them?

Hippie Rancher said:
DCA farm said:
I've got a longhorn in my herd I'm looking at either cutting horns completely off or cutting them inside her ear spread. How y'all recommend me going about that. This is a 5 year old cow so she ain't got no baby horns she's heavy bred right now so it will have to be after she calves which would be any day now

Why do you want to cut them?

She don't fit down the chute

DCA farm said:
She don't fit down the chute

my experience is they may look that way, but longhorns are lithe and agile like cats, they just gracefully hold their heads sideways and slip right on through. try running her through for feed a few times and not catching her, see if she can actually do it when she is motivated.

also if they really don't fit, and you need to work them you can just tie them by the horns...

Latest posts