Meat Cutting Mess ?

Help Support CattleToday:

I am going to go ahead and book my appointments for 2022 this week. Assuming they're not booked up til 2025 already.

Has it ever been like this before? And do you see it easing up a bit??

The guy we prefer to use said people are bringing in small calves, hungry looking cattle, anything they can to fill the slot. Said it is obvious people weren't prepared. Really affecting his wallet and cooler.

I think everyone's panic booking is catching up. I expect to hear about canceled appointments here soon.

Normally, this time of the year gets slow at butcher shops. I even know of shops that would shut down this time of the year because there wasn't enough business to pay for keeping the coolers running. Last year this time of the year I bought a hamburger cow at the sale on Wednesday. I called them that afternoon to set up a date. They came out on Friday to kill her. I had the meat two weeks later. There can't be that many more being killed. It is just like the toilet paper run.

I have to think some of the time slots were just placeholders and will not translate into kills

Normally, this time of the year gets slow at butcher shops. I even know of shops that would shut down this time of the year because there wasn't enough business to pay for keeping the coolers running. Last year this time of the year I bought a hamburger cow at the sale on Wednesday. I called them that afternoon to set up a date. They came out on Friday to kill her. I had the meat two weeks later. There can't be that many more being killed. It is just like the toilet paper run.
Hey Dave when you are looking for a "hamburger cow" what is your preference? A youngish open heifer of a certain weight? Thanks

Hey Dave when you are looking for a "hamburger cow" what is your preference? A youngish open heifer of a certain weight? Thanks
A 1,100 pound replacement heifer that slipped a calf would be great. But that doesn't happen all the time. Those often cost too much. The majority of the time I get a 1,100-1,200 pound younger cow that is in decent shape. Not thin or too fat, just has some meat on her bones. Probably a BCS 5.5-6.

A 1,100 pound replacement heifer that slipped a calf would be great. But that doesn't happen all the time. Those often cost too much. The majority of the time I get a 1,100-1,200 pound younger cow that is in decent shape. Not thin or too fat, just has some meat on her bones. Probably a BCS 5.5-6.
What about an older cow?

What about an older cow?
Define old. I am buying in the sale ring with 15 seconds of viewing. Mostly I am looking for the size and body condition. Old cows showing lots of bone get passed over. Overly fat cows get passed. I generally pass on cows that are just big. I do that for two reasons. They cost more (buying by the pound) and I normally don't need that much burger. I am pretty certain I have bought some older cows over the years. Condition is much more important than age.

Define old. I am buying in the sale ring with 15 seconds of viewing. Mostly I am looking for the size and body condition. Old cows showing lots of bone get passed over. Overly fat cows get passed. I generally pass on cows that are just big. I do that for two reasons. They cost more (buying by the pound) and I normally don't need that much burger. I am pretty certain I have bought some older cows over the years. Condition is much more important than age.
I was thinking of a cow I might take out of the herd, not buy at a sale barn.

Healthy, not fat, not too lean.

I was thinking of a cow I might take out of the herd, not buy at a sale barn.

Healthy, not fat, not too lean.
We've eaten many cull cows here since I quit finishing steers. First time I was worried about getting shoe leather back so they cut out a couple ribeye steaks for me to try before they processed her and I was pleasantly surprised. Wasn't the tenderest beef I'd ever had, but wasn't bad. If nothing else, get the tenderloin and have the rest ground into hamburger. Your specifications listed above should work just fine.

University of Arkansas did an online workshop back in the summer about the ins and outs of the farm to fork craze, they said it was already gaining alot of popularity but COVID advanced it by 10 years. Problem is every Tom, Dick and Harry thinks they can do it and they're selling junk which was one thing UofA mentioned in their workshop was that those folks could ruin the business for people like me who have been doing it a while and do it right.
There's a local outfit here that ran a feedlot and have now opened their own butcher shop and opened several retail stores in this area touting it as farm fresh, while it is somewhat and while I have no problem with feedlots as they have their place, I believe they're being somewhat deceptive because most around here think of farm fresh like I raise mine grain them in the pasture not fed in a lot with 1000 other cattle.