Custom Rates

Help Support CattleToday:

haymaker

Reaction score
Anybody know what the going rates for custom hay work is going to be this year? I'm expecting about $17 - $20 to cut, ted, rake and bale a 4' X 5' roll.
JRP

In my neck of the woods everyone has 5 x 6 balers. Brother and I charge $60/hour for mowing, $9.50/bale for baling. Can mow 6-7 acres/hour. If 6 acres/hour, $10/acre, and if 2 bales/acre, $5/bale. Thus $14.50/bale for mowing and baling. We generally do not have to rake anyone's hay. They either have their own rake, or it doesn't need it. Of course, our prices will probably go up some to cover fuel expense.

the custom baler we used last year charged us $16 a bale to cut rake an bale.but went up to $20 a bale.because of the price of fuel.im hoping he is the same price this year.

Most were getting 20 last year for 6X5 bales a few were getting 25. I got 20 for cutting raking and baling with twine on a 5.5X% bale.
Talking to a few guys and looks like going rate is going to be 22.50 to 25 this year. Most are waiting to see how much higher diesel goes.
Square bales ( wire) going to be 1.50 to 1.75 looks like.
Going to be an interesting year

haymaker":3anzt829 said:
Anybody know what the going rates for custom hay work is going to be this year? I'm expecting about $17 - $20 to cut, ted, rake and bale a 4' X 5' roll.
JRP

Because some fields are thin and won't turn out many bales, do it by the acre.

The tractor has to cover the same amount of ground, whether the hay is thick or thin.

I'm thinking around $100 per acre this year. More if the field is unusally rough.

With a 10 acre minimum.

A lot of folks here either hay on shares, or cut their own and hire a custom round baler. A 4x5 was $6 for baling only, but went up to $7 last year.

Round grass/legume bales were only selling for $20 to $28, and poor grass bales were as low are $15, until this winter when the price about doubled. So you could not expect folks to pay $20 to have it cut and baled and then sell it for $15 to $20. :(

I am not sure how the northern cow/calf guys are going to adjust to high hay prices. I did see a lot of willow swamps being baled last summer. Some guys cut around the bigger clumps of brush and some went straight on through...

In 07 the rate to bale only was $7-$10 a bale for 4x5 depending on if you knew the guy or not.

Last year we paid $20 a roll for 5x6 rolls cut raked and baled.... guy told us this year he is starting at $25 a roll and see how it works out and adjust accordingly. We found some really good last year's hay from a neighbor for $40 a roll. We bought all we need from him and will just graze everything this year. With fertilizer as high as it is and cost of baling we came out way ahead. If we get some rain we might decide to sling some fertilizer and sell some square bales because that's where you can make some money. Horse owners are typically more willing to spend more per bale for the small squares than you can ever get for a roll. 25 square bales per roll, $4.00 per bale equals $100 per roll and I know of guys getting a lot more than $4 per bale.

hot dang $4 a bale is cheap.i bought some top horse hay for $6 a bale delivered.theres sq hay here for $2 to $4 here.but dont know how good it is.top hay from $5 to $8 a bale. round bales from $15 to $35 or more.i know of a farm that has 1000 or more round bales sitting out in the fields for sale.dont know how good it is or how much he wants for it.

Last year, cut, ted (if necessary), rake and net wrap was $16.50; this year for the same thing will be $21.

Billy

I met with our Custom Baler this morning to discuss rates for this year since we will be cutting the MaxQ in about a month. Below is what the rates will be this year:

5' x 4' rounds (average 850 lb) -
$15 - If he cuts, tedders, rakes and bales (last year he was at $12 per roll)
$12 - If he custs & bales, I tedder & rake

Small squares (average 50 lb) -
$1.50 - If he cuts, tedders, rakes and bales
$1 - If he custs & bales, I tedder & rake

For the difference in rates, I will pay the extra and let him do it all. His fuel, tractors, equipment and supplies. This gentleman is a neighbor about a mile the way the crow flies and really cares about the hay. He stops by a couple of times a week in the 2 or 3 weeks leading up to the haying just to check the field to determine when it's the correct time to cut.

I still have enough hay in the barn to get me thru next winter. So I am thinking about having 1/2 of my hay baled in small squares to sell to the horse folks.