custom haying rates

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno":2wdn8l06 said:
I ordered from these guys and kept plenty on hand.
I was baling about a 800 to 1000 bales a year. That is not a lot.
http://www.thebigbearingstore.com/radia ... aring.html
Also learned not to wash it took a leaf blower to it.

Thanks CB. I'll get some ordered. I looked at my baler tonight and didn't find any slop in any of the six or so bearings I could get my hands on. I'm assuming they are all in the same condition. I only wash my baler once a year in the spring to get the bird chit off it. I take the leaf blower to it and the discbine after every use also. Works great! Thanks again for the help.

Scott

In all seriousness when you get a chance hook it up to the tractor hydraulics and lift the gate.
You can roll the chain and check the bearings. It just takes one to make a good day very bad.
I checked before each use after a couple of fubars it will make it second nature.
Also buy the best sealed bearing they sell. Krones make a great bale but as they age
proper maintenance is a must.

We do a bit of custom work here. And it sounds like I'm to cheap. 15 an acre swathed, 13 bucks a bale and another 3 to stack them at the edge of the field. That's for 5 x 6 round or 3 x 4 mid size square.

Caustic Burno":2amo916q said:
In all seriousness when you get a chance hook it up to the tractor hydraulics and lift the gate.
You can roll the chain and check the bearings. It just takes one to make a good day very bad.
I checked before each use after a couple of fubars it will make it second nature.
Also buy the best sealed bearing they sell. Krones make a great bale but as they age
How can you just look and see if a bearing is bad? Of course, If you can see the shaft wobbling or moving back and forth. You may have some just waiting to go bad that look normal, but they will get hotter than the rest when run a while. Then I've heard if you change a bearing on a shaft you should change the one on the other end also.

Banjo":2grze4cb said:
Caustic Burno":2grze4cb said:
How can you just look and see if a bearing is bad? Of course, If you can see the shaft wobbling or moving back and forth. You may have some just waiting to go bad that look normal, but they will get hotter than the rest when run a while. Then I've heard if you change a bearing on a shaft you should change the one on the other end also.

You roll the chain until the bearing is free from the surface and the bar is in the sprocket.
When you lift the gate you can put the bearings in this position 2 at a time one on each end.
You can visibly inspect each bearing spins freely and for play and wear.
Bearing failure sets up chain failure and that is when everything goes fubar beyond bad on a Krone.
Neighbor and I have spent days putting chain back on and timed in the sprockets after a failure. As far as bearing replacement when I changed one I changed them all. Learned this lesson the hard way. Every one of those bearings had made the same number or revolutions if one went it was just a matter of time on the others. What is even more fun is if the chain fails and wont allow you to open the gate and you have a full
bale in the chamber.
That Krone baler was the only baler I ever had catch fire and it caught fire twice both times due to
bearing failure.

You can check for bad bearings with a infrared thermometer, just get one with the Lazer aim. Everybody needs a couple of them. You can buy them for less than $20.00 dollars. I use them for checking the temperature of frying oil to the bearings on my trailers. It's one of the best tools for preventive maintenance.

we bought what they call a heat gun from a local tractor dealer to check for hot bearings.and it cost $100.

highgrit":3f1qf2ka said:
You can check for bad bearings with a infrared thermometer, just get one with the Lazer aim. Everybody needs a couple of them. You can buy them for less than $20.00 dollars. I use them for checking the temperature of frying oil to the bearings on my trailers. It's one of the best tools for preventive maintenance.

That is a good idea problem is I don't know if you would ever hit or
figure out which bearing was bad on that set of baler chains going around
the drum. If you have never used a Krone baler it is a unique beast.
Here is a picture of one baling you figure out how to shoot the 70 plus bearings
going round without climbing on top with the chains running.
I dam sure aint getting wadded up.
http://www.krone-northamerica.com/engli ... balers-en/

http://www.tractorhouse.com/listingsdet ... ID=7966847

Caustic Burno":tngu3q1o said:
Banjo":tngu3q1o said:
Caustic Burno":tngu3q1o said:

You roll the chain until the bearing is free from the surface and the bar is in the sprocket.
When you lift the gate you can put the bearings in this position 2 at a time one on each end.
You can visibly inspect each bearing spins freely and for play and wear.
Bearing failure sets up chain failure and that is when everything goes fubar beyond bad on a Krone.
Neighbor and I have spent days putting chain back on and timed in the sprockets after a failure. As far as bearing replacement when I changed one I changed them all. Learned this lesson the hard way. Every one of those bearings had made the same number or revolutions if one went it was just a matter of time on the others. What is even more fun is if the chain fails and wont allow you to open the gate and you have a full
bale in the chamber.
That Krone baler was the only baler I ever had catch fire and it caught fire twice both times due to
bearing failure.
Are you talking about the shaft bearings or the roller bearings on the chain itself? I'm confused.

Latest posts