custom haying rates

Help Support CattleToday:

ohiobeef

Reaction score
What do you guys charge for custom mowing-conditioning, Raking, & small square baling. I am in Ohio, but any areas rates would be fine. Thank you. :tiphat:

ohiobeef":c7lugsvp said:
What do you guys charge for custom mowing-conditioning, Raking, & small square baling. I am in Ohio, but any areas rates would be fine. Thank you. :tiphat:

Everyone here has went to an hourly rate of 50 dollars an hour.
They cut on halves as well.

Caustic Burno":1dr885h4 said:
ohiobeef":1dr885h4 said:

Not many folks here will do the whole job for half anymore. Most deals are 60/40 and I've heard a few 70/30.

This is round bales stacked or lined up to suit the owner. Does not include transport out of the field.

I don't doubt that at all the last I baled before I sold my equipment in 2011 I had 36 dollars a roll in my hay.
The drought here ended bailing by the bale and brought on the hourly rate.

Caustic Burno":38xvcshh said:
I don't doubt that at all the last I baled before I sold my equipment in 2011 I had 36 dollars a roll in my hay.
The drought here ended bailing by the bale and brought on the hourly rate.

Neighbor who bought my place hired a local family to put up hay at both places on a cash basis. He told me what it ended up costing per bale, but I have CRS right now. Neighbor thought it was a good deal and freed him and his wife up for other things that needed doing.

The 4 member family crew did it up right and goterdone in no time with 4 tractors on a hydroswing swather, twin NH rake, and 2 - JD 566 balers.

$18.00 for the neighbors and $20.00 for everyone else per roll 4x5. No way you would ever get anyone up here to let you bale hay by the hour.

Rajela":xzd6w0wh said:
$18.00 for the neighbors and $20.00 for everyone else per roll 4x5. No way you would ever get anyone up here to let you bale hay by the hour.

Used to be 20 dollars a roll here those days are over after the drought.
Too many rolled fields that would roll a100 and get 20 in 2010 and 2011 and out of business now.
After that you can pay the hourly rate or go buy 100,000 dollars of hay equipment.
By the time you buy diesel,make payments, maintain the hourly rate would be pretty cheap.
As I said earlier I had 36 dollars a roll in my own hay those years.

If I still owned my equipment I wouldn't even load the tractor on the float for 20 bucks a roll.
By the time I filled up the truck and tractor I would have 250 dollars in diesel and never left the house.
That makes the first ten rolls for free, no way pastures and hayfields are in bad shape again this year.
The field I normally have baled rolls 110 to 120 rolled out 60 first cutting fertilized.

Takes just as much diesel and time to cut the same field yielding 60 or 120.
The real world is here and people baling cheap hay are not going to be in business long.
Fuel and equipment cost have sky rocketed.

Caustic Burno":3dyox2cq said:
Rajela":3dyox2cq said:

Used to be 20 dollars a roll here those days are over after the drought.
Too many rolled fields that would roll a100 and get 20 in 2010 and 2011 and out of business now.
After that you can pay the hourly rate or go buy 100,000 dollars of hay equipment.
By the time you buy diesel,make payments, maintain the hourly rate would be pretty cheap.
As I said earlier I had 36 dollars a roll in my own hay those years.

If I still owned my equipment I wouldn't even load the tractor on the float for 20 bucks a roll.
By the time I filled up the truck and tractor I would have 250 dollars in diesel and never left the house.
That makes the first ten rolls for free, no way pastures and hayfields are in bad shape again this year.
The field I normally have baled rolls 110 to 120 rolled out 60 first cutting fertilized.

Takes just as much diesel and time to cut the same field yielding 60 or 120.
The real world is here and people baling cheap hay are not going to be in business long.
Fuel and equipment cost have sky rocketed.
Very true CB! I know some folks who custom bale around my parts and they have a 100 roll minimum no matter the size of the field. Only makes sense due to the rising cost of diesel fuel as well as the time/expense of moving equipment.

Caustic Burno":1t67yhh2 said:
ohiobeef":1t67yhh2 said:

CB
Have you put a pencil to that $50.00 rate that is awful cheap unless your gonna idle around and let the hour meter run up.

Rajela":h9588xao said:
Caustic Burno":h9588xao said:
ohiobeef":h9588xao said:

BC
Have you put a pencil to that $50.00 rate that is awful cheap unless your gonna idle around and let the hour meter run up.

If the field won't normally roll out a 100 rolls don't even call. You must not deal with bahia grass takes a heII
of a hay field here to get a 100 rolls off of a cutting and you are not going to cut it fast.
A great bahia hay field is 3 rolls to the acre. I have sat all day cutting a 40 acre field and the grass so thick
that it was bogging the tractor down and after it dried get two maybe three rolls to the acre.
Bahia is the disappearing grass when it comes to hay.
I don't think cheap hay exist, came out 35 dollars a roll that is not counting the fertilizer cost.
Two thousand bucks for 62 rolls. Adding my fertilizer cost comes to 56 dollars a roll.
If the field would have cut out normal rates it would have been around 30 dollars a roll cost to cut and bale.

The guy that bought all my equipment will still do the 30 to 50 roll fields, I have no clue what that is costing.
I know he has a minimum to just pull up.

we called the county agent and they said the going custom rate for 5 by 6s is $35 a bale.herethe cusom balers are charging a 3 bale min.so thats $75 an ac.

bigbull338":169xq9ff said:
we called the county agent and they said the going custom rate for 5 by 6s is $35 a bale.herethe cusom balers are charging a 3 bale min.so thats $75 an ac.

No one here messes with 5x6's everything is still 4x5's.
If they go to a 3 bale minimum on 5x6's there is not a bahia field in this
part of the world that will roll that out on a consistent basis.
Lucky to get 3 4x5 's .

bigbull338":10ne936q said:

After doing the math came out to 65 dollars an acre is what I paid.

CB they run 4 by 6 balers here.but when we bale our own hay its with a 5 by 6 baler.i talked to a friend today and he is going to try to lay down 300acs this week and get it baled before the rain comes back.he is running a JD 535 baler.

I paid 22 for 5x4's last year. At 4 bales acre for fescue. He cut it back to 20 a bale this year when his baler spot out 7 1/2 bales an acre. I was surprisingly delighted!

I must live in the land that time forgot. A guy down the road asked what I would just roll about a 100 rolls...mine are 5x5. I said $10/roll. He thought that was too high, but would pay 6/roll.

Banjo":1tw41r4n said:
I must live in the land that time forgot. A guy down the road asked what I would just roll about a 100 rolls...mine are 5x5. I said $10/roll. He thought that was too high, but would pay 6/roll.

You can't even pay for the diesel and wear and tear on you equipment at that price.
You must live in a geographical oddity where diesel is still a dollar a gallon.
He would be waiting until heII froze over here for someone to show up and cut and bale here.
I would told him not to waste my time. I wouldn't even hook the float to the truck for that price.

ohiobeef":r90xgvnz said:

Your asking about square bales right? Small ones you can throw around... #50-75?

Last year I paid $4 a square bale and $26 for a 5x6 round bale.