Custom Hay work

Help Support CattleToday:

ddd75":3cby3k4s said:
I have people come out here all the time that want to help for free. they just want to be out in the country and be away. I know a guy who has a doctor come out and help him all the time for free, just to get away from his job and patients.

I can post a CL ad and in 30 minutes have 10 people ready to work for 8 bucks an hour.. and a few of those will be good..

I can get some raking help if needed from several people in exchange for a few rolls of hay .

Stocker Steve":28erfwpw said:
Aaron":28erfwpw said:
No farm worker around here for less than $20 US, and the guys that are serious about quality help pay $30 and up.

Must be more to this.
For U$S20/hr and a walleye dinner most nights - - how do you avoid being overrun with migrant workers?

Very few positions advertised, mainly word of mouth. White, English-speaking farm kids need only apply. ;-) And they will work you to the bone doing one task. One guy patched fences everyday for 2 years - no new fence, just patching the most rusted out junk possible and breaking it somewhere else while stretching. Another position was track-tractor operator cultivating fields, 12-16 hours a day, 6 days a week from April till freeze-up.

Stocker Steve":1hg4vg67 said:
Most of the folks going 4x5 here are baling down in wet meadows and floating bogs.
Why the focus on small 4x5 bales? More bales per acre?

5 foot wide bales are too wide to haul double on a trailer, some of the dot officers are now saying that is the wide load is divisible then it needs to be broken down. So that limits you to 4' wide bales. I custom bale a lot of silage and the customer wraps his own and 5' diameter bales fit best through his tube wrapper, and a 4x5 at 60% moisture is plenty heavy for most people to handle.

M-5":2f22tzkt said:
ddd75":2f22tzkt said:
I have people come out here all the time that want to help for free. they just want to be out in the country and be away. I know a guy who has a doctor come out and help him all the time for free, just to get away from his job and patients.

I can post a CL ad and in 30 minutes have 10 people ready to work for 8 bucks an hour.. and a few of those will be good..

I can get some raking help if needed from several people in exchange for a few rolls of hay .

My raker cost me dearly, but she is a good cook.

$20 a roll last time. $10 just for baling. I can make better than 10 an hour at any plant in town and not use my equipment. And at 5 a roll I can't imagine the guy making any money.

Craig Miller":1zu0bgkp said:
$20 a roll last time. $10 just for baling. I can make better than 10 an hour at any plant in town and not use my equipment. And at 5 a roll I can't imagine the guy making any money.
I agree that there are many places to work that pay more than $10 per hour but at $10 per roll or $5 per roll, how many rolls can you get in 4 hours?

How do you make sure your guy has the right amount of "enthusiasm" to make your hay right? If I'm paying him I don't want him waiting until its raining or it's overly mature and his own is finished?

kilroy60":rme944r2 said:
Craig Miller":rme944r2 said:
I agree that there are many places to work that pay more than $10 per hour but at $10 per roll or $5 per roll, how many rolls can you get in 4 hours?

As for him making money it doesn't matter. It only matters how much money he spends during those four hours.

Latest posts