Culling Poor Hair Coat Heifers ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Angus Rocks":1bs2g80g said:
Texas bred are you saying that you would rather spend money on feed, wormers, and medicines rather then genetics that will do the job?

Have read discussions that some think that hair coat depends how much muscling a critter has
Angus they get nothing that the rest of the cattle dont' get so there is no added expense. I think I also said the occasional cow that does not shed also raises a very good calf. I refuse to breed for "short shiny hair". I'll let you have that one. ;-)

TexasBred":1f568ib1 said:
Angus Rocks":1f568ib1 said:
Texas bred are you saying that you would rather spend money on feed, wormers, and medicines rather then genetics that will do the job?

Have read discussions that some think that hair coat depends how much muscling a critter has
Angus they get nothing that the rest of the cattle dont' get so there is no added expense. I think I also said the occasional cow that does not shed also raises a very good calf. I refuse to breed for "short shiny hair". I'll let you have that one. ;-)

I'm with you on that Texas Bred. We have an old cow that will likely go this fall. She is 15-16 y/o. Her coat is always a little rough. When I first started going down there I thought she is one to cull. That was 5 years ago. She has raised and weaned 5 calves that have been at the top of the crop every year. After the 2nd year I decided she could stay as long as she kept bringing in the scale mashers. We have shiny coated cows that bring in calves 50 lbs lighter.

Greg Judy said "a rough coat cow is not performing in it's environment". I wonder if the buyers at the sale barn are really biased against it?

shaz":13x9lhi5 said:
Greg Judy said "a rough coat cow is not performing in it's environment". I wonder if the buyers at the sale barn are really biased against it?

Not the calf buyers. Putting them on a feedlot ration is usually a cure.

And a fluffy calf looks fatter. Like the show folks know. Is it hair or is it muscle? Only the fitter know! :tiphat:

Ebenezer":34x2erwx said:
And a fluffy calf looks fatter. Like the show folks know. Is it hair or is it muscle? Only the fitter know! :tiphat:
Never buy calves in the winter. :lol: :lol:

Ebenezer":20fwtyvd said:

Go watch them at the wash rack. That can help you determine if it is hair or muscle.

greatgerts":2mzwdxa4 said:
Ebenezer":2mzwdxa4 said:

Go watch them at the wash rack. That can help you determine if it is hair or muscle.
Why should I have to? The judging officials don't and they're paid to do the placings.

Son of Butch":oj63r86x said:
greatgerts":oj63r86x said:
Ebenezer":oj63r86x said:

Why should I have to? The judging officials don't and they're paid to do the placings.

One reason that we show slick haired. You can't hide behind the hair.

greatgerts":1zla0yzg said:
Ebenezer":1zla0yzg said:

Like a fellow told me one time: two worst things that ever happened to American agriculture: the moldboard plow and livestock shows. :shock: