Cull or Not

Help Support CattleToday:

BK9954

Reaction score
Took atleast 5 months for 20 months old heifer to get pregnant by yearling bull. All other 5 were pregnant. Still not sure if she is bred. Should I cull her?

I guess you'd have to determine where to place the blame, If I had 5 girlfriends, you can bet that one of em would be my least favorite. :lol:

BK9954":1dpdr9kk said:
Took atleast 5 months for 20 months old heifer to get pregnant by yearling bull. All other 5 were pregnant. Still not sure if she is bred. Should I cull her?

I would.

It's tuff to cull a good looking animal initially. But, when you put pen to paper and see that the calf she does have will be so much smaller than the rest of the calf crop, it just makes sense to sell her privately now to someone who has a hobby herd, or who may calve at a later time than you do. I've done it both ways and it never fails... Make the decision and get rid of her.

If you cull her i would not sell her as breeding stock as some have suggested thats just giving someone else a problem and could very well come back to bite your butt

Yep, I may sell her bred at the barn but not one on one to a private individual. I have a bad relationship with a couple that sold me a crappy heifer last year. Wont ever do business with them again. At the barn you take your chances but pay market prices. When I buy from an individual its for a premium breedable animal. I was hoping it was my yearling bull not getting around to servicing all of the heifers being so young.

BK9954":2g2jnhsx said:
Even if she is bred, 5 months is unacceptable.
Ship her.

It depends on your goals and objectives for your program.

Very rate genetics (i.e., breed conservation)? Maybe keep her.

This is a hobby for you? Doesn't really matter. Heck, heifers taste good, too!

Are you trying to build a seedstock enterprise? Sell/eat her.

Does the idea of calving year round bring something special / helpful to you that overrides having one, tight calving window? Keep her.

...etc...

WalnutCrest":167wc29h said:
It depends on your goals and objectives for your program.

Very rate genetics (i.e., breed conservation)? Maybe keep her.

Not sure that would be a breed that needs to be conserved.
I understand your point though.

My bull was having a hard time mounting her a few months ago. She is big in the back and he was a littke small but he did breed all the others and some the same size.

Latest posts