CRP hay and Soybean stubble

Help Support CattleToday:

opensky

Reaction score
I have my small herd on soybean stubble and CRP hay and I'm wondering if I should be supplementing. They do also have access to any remaining forage from waterways/field edges and the timber along the creek but they've been there for about two months now so that's been fairly well picked over. I started feeding the CRP about a month ago. I have alfalfa/orchard grass hay on hand too but wasn't sure if I should put that out yet.

I do some finishing so I have a mixed group of cows, yearlings and calves. The cows are about 7-8 months along since calving, so their nutritional requirements should be about as low as they are going to get. I've sold about half the calves but the other half haven't been weaned. The temperatures have been all across the board this winter but I would guess that we've been averaging around 32 degrees lately.

I haven't had the hay tested yet but I am going to soon.

My main question is - should I supplement?
If the answer is yes, what's the best method to feed CRP hay and alfalfa hay (without grinding it)? Or should I do something else?

THANKS ALL!

I would definely feed the crp hay first, once you start feeding the good hay they won't want to eat it as well. If the cows are in good condition or not depends on supplementing them and what to use. Don't let them get in bad shape now because it will be pretty tough to put flesh on them with a calf nursing.

Feeding animals of different classes and age in the same group is difficult, but i would feed based on the needs of the cows. More than likely you would meed to supplement in the form of protein. That is probably what they would be lacking most.

You can feed protein from tubs, alfalfa hay, or distillers grains. If you can access some distillers, that is the route I would go. 2 lbs of that would give you a little over a half pound of protein. Just don't overfeed it.

Like ks said, don't let them cows get thin now. Worst scenario is to have thin cows at calving. Would cause a multitude of problems.

Latest posts