crossing beefmasters with

Help Support CattleToday:

Joy in Texas

Reaction score
I am seriously thinking about crossing beefmaster with romagnola ? Has anyone done this yet ? I've also been thinking about changing the percentages in some of my beefmasters as an experiment. I'm thinking Mr. Lasater had a good concept, but maybe adding more hereford or shorthorn would produce better bulls without all the sheath problems. I don't know just a thought

in my opinion beefmasters cross best with hereford, angus, charolais or simmental. dont know much about romans.

Joy in Texas":2onl4ytz said:
I am seriously thinking about crossing beefmaster with romagnola ? Has anyone done this yet ? I've also been thinking about changing the percentages in some of my beefmasters as an experiment. I'm thinking Mr. Lasater had a good concept, but maybe adding more hereford or shorthorn would produce better bulls without all the sheath problems. I don't know just a thought
joy better go easy with crossing the beefmasters.an heres why if you pull the sheath up much higher it narrows the front end of the bulls an cows.wich could cause those crosses to cause difficulty in calving.but thats my thoughts.

bigbull338":5io0t9zz said:
Joy in Texas":5io0t9zz said:
joy better go easy with crossing the beefmasters.an heres why if you pull the sheath up much higher it narrows the front end of the bulls an cows.wich could cause those crosses to cause difficulty in calving.but thats my thoughts.
that dont make much sence bigbull how bout reiterate'n ;-)

ALACOWMAN":dzwlya6r said:
bigbull338":dzwlya6r said:
Joy in Texas":dzwlya6r said:
ok ill try to go a little deeper if i can.i was talking to a high powered breeder about the low sheaths.an pulling them up a tad higher so the bull wouldnt step on it.an he said if you pulled it up to much.that it would add to the calving dffaculty.something about making the chest alot tighter.more of a V shaped wedge i guess.not really sure.

bigbull338":yuqvusin said:
ALACOWMAN":yuqvusin said:
bigbull338":yuqvusin said:
Joy in Texas":yuqvusin said:
ok ill try to go a little deeper if i can.i was talking to a high powered breeder about the low sheaths.an pulling them up a tad higher so the bull wouldnt step on it.an he said if you pulled it up to much.that it would add to the calving dffaculty.something about making the chest alot tighter.more of a V shaped wedge i guess.not really sure.
well that v shape front too back is usually easier calving,

Joy in Texas":1u20qdq1 said:

I can't comment on the Romagnola. I'd be interested in seeing some pictures of the results, though.

I definately think the beefmasters need more hereford or longhorn influence. Some of the best calves I ever sold were hereford/ gert crosses.

bigbull, with throwing bw to the wind a concidering shape alone, the v shape would be much better. Consider what the calf looks like and how he comes out of the mama cow. Now common sence will tell you that a v shape smooth shouldered calf will come a heck of alot easier than one shaped like a brick. Although the brick may look better.

I have seen the Charlois X with the beefmaster cows.. a good cross. I have mostly beefmaster cows, and have used Santa Gertrudis, (which I wasnt particularly please with) and now using a limousin bull, which am now getting great looking calves, and fast gainers.

bigbull338":3pvacvqx said:
ALACOWMAN":3pvacvqx said:
bigbull338":3pvacvqx said:
Joy in Texas":3pvacvqx said:
Thanks BB,I guess I better study on it some more.I don't understand exactly what you are saying.But you put another thought in my head I'll just have to study on it for awhile.

Limomike":3esy3sw3 said:
I have seen the Charlois X with the beefmaster cows.. a good cross. I have mostly beefmaster cows, and have used Santa Gertrudis, (which I wasnt particularly please with) and now using a limousin bull, which am now getting great looking calves, and fast gainers.
Hey Mike do you a picture of one of your beefmaster/limo crosses

bigbull338":1340ig0u said:
ALACOWMAN":1340ig0u said:
bigbull338":1340ig0u said:
Joy in Texas":1340ig0u said:

Mr bigbull I guess I don't quite understand how a clean-sheathed beefmaster would have more calvign diffictuly than other clean-sheathed breeds? I think sheath problems are one of the biggst problems with beefmaster bulls especially but also with some other brahamn crosses and more breeders should be working on it instead of making up some story about calving problmes. Good for you Joy for thinking "outside the breed".

Double A Ranch":3ncm5enn said:
bigbull338":3ncm5enn said:
ALACOWMAN":3ncm5enn said:
bigbull338":3ncm5enn said:
Joy in Texas":3ncm5enn said:

Mr bigbull I guess I don't quite understand how a clean-sheathed beefmaster would have more calvign diffictuly than other clean-sheathed breeds? I think sheath problems are one of the biggst problems with beefmaster bulls especially but also with some other brahamn crosses and more breeders should be working on it instead of making up some story about calving problmes. Good for you Joy for thinking "outside the breed".
what i said was told to me by a beefmaster breeder of 32yrs.an i have no reason to doubt what he says.a friend of mine bought 12 bred heifers an cows from this breeder 2yrs ago.an he ended up having to pull 2 calves.went an checked his breeding records an both heifers was bred to the same bull.so i know that beefmaster bull can an does throw big calves.because those 2 calves weighed over 100lbs ea.

bigbull338":22gdxm4j said:
what i said was told to me by a beefmaster breeder of 32yrs.an i have no reason to doubt what he says.a friend of mine bought 12 bred heifers an cows from this breeder 2yrs ago.an he ended up having to pull 2 calves.went an checked his breeding records an both heifers was bred to the same bull.so i know that beefmaster bull can an does throw big calves.because those 2 calves weighed over 100lbs ea.

Now Im really confused. It sounds like they were just big calves. Had nothing to do with v-shape or clean-sheaths? So clean-sheathed produces big calves or big v-shaped claves? lol.

Double A Ranch":5p41hp6w said:
bigbull338":5p41hp6w said:

Now Im really confused. It sounds like they were just big calves. Had nothing to do with v-shape or clean-sheaths? So clean-sheathed produces big calves or big v-shaped claves? lol.
not going to argue with you .just know thats what we was told.pulling the sheath up has something todo with tighting the chest up.

bigbull338":3pux2v0o said:
Double A Ranch":3pux2v0o said:
bigbull338":3pux2v0o said:

not going to argue with you .just know thats what we was told.pulling the sheath up has something todo with tighting the chest up.
naturally when you clean up the sheath {tighten up the leather} on a brahman influance you will clean up the dewlap and tighten the chest area.but to narrow the chest? can't see a good herford bull putt'n a narrow chest on one

Limomike":1die6io3 said:

I have a herd of Charolais cows that have been with a solid red Beefmaster bull, should see the results this spring. Let me say again, he is the most tame bull I have ever seen!

Latest posts