Crossbreeding - AGAIN!

Help Support CattleToday:

Hay Dun, how long (gen.) will the white stay on the face of Baldies(red or black) ???

alftn":1w205sec said:
Hay Dun, how long (gen.) will the white stay on the face of Baldies(red or black) ???

Fresh in on this chat - did not follow the thread - so:

Not Dun - but - a true baldy stays that way for life.

Bez>

Somewhere between the f1's calves and forever with the crosses.. It can last and last... Someone told me that the Herf white face is a dominate trait so the f1 carries one copy of it while its's calves would have a 50% chance of doing it.. I believed it for a while but than I had two white faced black calves pop up out of some solid black cows and I don't remember any white faced bulls running around that year..

I would say it is pretty close to 50% of my calves out of my f1 herf X RA crosses are baldies every year.. But the 14 or so white faced 3/4-7/8th heifers I had last year only had one white faced calf if I am remember correctly.

But as Bez said,. once it is born a baldy it will stay a baldy..

alftn":2e8dnpgj said:

After the first cross it gets to be even more of a crap shoot. Some baldys when bred to solid bulls will throw a baldy most everytime, others hardly ever. We have one F1 that we bred to the same bull 2 years in a row. The first year the calf didn;t have a white hair on it's body anywhere, not even in the switch or the udder area. This year she has a lovely little goggle eyed baldy heifer. I've even seen brockle faces throw baldys when bred to solid bulls. After that first cross you get into such a mishmash of gene combinations the predictability goes down the dumper. There's a gent down the road with some F1 HolsteinxPolled Herefords look look exactly like a Hereford except for being black. He uses Angus bulls on them and I've never seen a calf in the pastre that isn;t a baldy.

dun

Let me restate my question, I have true f-1 BA X Here 1st gen.2gen,F-1 X BA they are white face also, 3gen F-2 X BA they have motley faces... so using pure(reg.) BA bulls the white/motley face can keeping poping up fo how long???? I do not have any 4 ger. yet a couple of years away, I figure the Red angus work like the black and Dun you been doing this for a while, so you would probly know...

alftn":ovf1ibsh said:
Let me restate my question, I have true f-1 BA X Here 1st gen.2gen,F-1 X BA they are white face also, 3gen F-2 X BA they have motley faces... so using pure(reg.) BA bulls the white/motley face can keeping poping up fo how long???? I do not have any 4 ger. yet a couple of years away, I figure the Red angus work like the black and Dun you been doing this for a while, so you would probly know...

Depends on the bull. I've never seen brockle or baldys come back after it's been totally eliminated, but I have seen white face come out of brockles. As I said before, it's a real crapshoot. We bred a brockle faced heifer to a Polled Hereford bull, the calf is brockle faced just like the cow. The bulls other calves out of solid colored cows are all true baldys. It seems like it's one of those "it depends" kind fo deals, I've just never figured out what it depends on.

dun

dun":208vph1n said:
alftn":208vph1n said:

Depends on the bull. I've never seen brockle or baldys come back after it's been totally eliminated, but I have seen white face come out of brockles. As I said before, it's a real crapshoot. We bred a brockle faced heifer to a Polled Hereford bull, the calf is brockle faced just like the cow. The bulls other calves out of solid colored cows are all true baldys. It seems like it's one of those "it depends" kind fo deals, I've just never figured out what it depends on.

dun
Whatever combination of color patterns with which you are concerned may be, the results are determined by the homozygosity or heterozygosity of the Genetic make-up of the particular matings involved. I agree that it is a crapshoot - however the greater the homozygosity of the individuals the more predictable can be the appearance of the progeny.

DOC HARRIS

curtis":1bze3o6o said:
aplusmnt":1bze3o6o said:
DOC HARRIS":1bze3o6o said:
homozygosity

Seems I heard this word used describing Rosie O'Donnell the other day :lol:

What gene does she carry other than queer?

In Rosie's defense, IS there any man in this country who finds her attractive for anything BUT her money??? Seriously, the gal is overweight AND homely and all that is trivial compared to her insulting demeanor, bad attitude, loud boorish behavior, and explosive temper. Not many men are going to put up with THAT. A lot of gals on the other hand do like (or will put up with) 250 pound, mean people with beer guts....so she probably IS better off chasing skirts.

Brandonm2":2mp4yvma said:
In Rosie's defense, IS there any man in this country who finds her attractive for anything BUT her money??? Seriously, the gal is overweight AND homely and all that is trivial compared to her insulting demeanor, bad attitude, loud boorish behavior, and explosive temper. Not many men are going to put up with THAT. A lot of gals on the other hand do like (or will put up with) 250 pound, mean people with beer guts....so she probably IS better off chasing skirts.

I never thought of it that way. :idea: Excellent point.

We'll quess I just went and done it again.
I know you guys will be either laughing or just shaking your heads.
I just put a order in for a Char Bull arrives from Georgia Tuesday, gonna breed it with some of my Black and red Angus Cows & make some Mississippi Mud. :p

ROCK-N-W":g36mnnbx said:
We'll quess I just went and done it again.
I know you guys will be either laughing or just shaking your heads.
I just put a order in for a Char Bull arrives from Georgia Tuesday, gonna breed it with some of my Black and red Angus Cows & make some Mississippi Mud. :p

Should have gotten a red charolais and a black charolais and saved the effort.

dun

keep it up paul and maybe someone will send you the bull THEY think you oughtta be using..

i think yer rain dance werked. possibility anyways. well see..

git a red one so i can buy him from ya when yer done. maybe you can create a new breed ..red chars....hmmmm

I like that Idea of someone sending me one that works, having some trouble with one now. I could use a new truck too Buddy, Mine"s seen better days.

Latest posts