Crossbow alternative?????

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot

Reaction score
Does anybody use any thing for spot spraying brush that they feel like works better than crossbow. In particular something that will kill the locust with a thorn on it. That particular locust is out with a vengeance on my place this year. It's even cropping up where I mow regularly. I spray every evening I have a chance. I think I'm paying $50 for a gallon.

i use remedy and brash together and that kills anything but grass i use it on thorns cedars and thistles and it works good.

You might want to try Pronone power pellets for the Locusts. . They are easy to apply and you don't have to clean up anything. I keep a jar of them on my 4 wheeler. I use remedy like Denver mentioned on everything else but the power pellets seem to work better on the locusts. They can be applied at any time of the year. If you have some thick groves it will take two applications about 3 months apart. Let them stand until they break off. They are easy to kill compared to a pasture of mesquite.

I use Surmount. According to university studies it is the most effective with about a 97% kill ratio on locust. I use 1 oz of Surmount per 1 gallon of water in a spot sprayer. I don't remember what I paid for the 2.5 gallon jug as I bought it several years ago but it works a lot better than anything else that I have tried

http://forages.tamu.edu/PDF/new dow herbicides.pdf

johndeerefarmer":1svyevh8 said:
I use Surmount. According to university studies it is the most effective with about a 97% kill ratio on locust. I use 1 oz of Surmount per 1 gallon of water in a spot sprayer. I don't remember what I paid for the 2.5 gallon jug as I bought it several years ago but it works a lot better than anything else that I have tried

http://forages.tamu.edu/PDF/new dow herbicides.pdf

Thanks. I will try it. I am absolutely sure that some of the ones I spray come back the next year.

You are welcome. Them coming back is the problem with mowing or just using a chemical that makes the leaves fall off but doesn't kill the roots. I have tried Remedy, Grazon and about everything else under the sun and nothing works as good as Surmount.

Good Luck

Anyone following this thread. I just bought tryplocor 4E. It's 60 percent tryplocor crossbow is like 17 or something. It is the generic form of about 10 different brands of brush killer. Supposed to hammer broad leafs when tank mixed and sprayed on pasture.

johndeerefarmer said:
I believe that that product will not kill locust. It will only suppress it's growth. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.[/quote

Oh no. I bought two gallons. I thought it was the generic form. I hate ordering on line. Nobody in town carried it.

Bigfoot":38p7p3zp said:
johndeerefarmer":38p7p3zp said:
I believe that that product will not kill locust. It will only suppress it's growth. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.[/quote

Oh no. I bought two gallons. I thought it was the generic form. I hate ordering on line. Nobody in town carried it.
If you bought Triclopyr 4 it should be 60 or 61% triclopyr as it's active ingredient same as Remedy. It should work the same and I have used Remedy or a generic quite successfully to kill locust and other similar tough trees.

In my experience neither Remedy and or a Remedy/Grazon P+D mixture works as well as Surmount. DowAgro makes both products.

Maybe call or email them and ask which they recommend or ask your local county agent.

BC":h5lkojtt said:
Bigfoot":h5lkojtt said:
johndeerefarmer":h5lkojtt said:

If you bought Triclopyr 4 it should be 60 or 61% triclopyr as it's active ingredient same as Remedy. It should work the same and I have used Remedy or a generic quite successfully to kill locust and other similar tough trees.
http://www.cdms.net/ldat/ld7NR005.pdf

Remedy Ultra (triclopyr) does specify locust as one of the woody plants it will control.

Surmount, (picloram) also lists locust.
http://www.cdms.net/LDat/ld6MG012.pdf
Picloram has some residual soil activity.

Specimen label says to spray locust in the spring.

We got the locust under control on my father-in-law's place using the following recipe in a basal trunk application. In a 3 gallon pump up sprayer mix 3 qts. of Remedy, 38 ozs. of CideKick II (a penetrating surfactant) and 1.95 gallons of diesel. Pump up the sprayer to about 1/2 pressure and open the nozzle to shoot a straight stream. Spray a 2 to 4 inch band on the slick bark of each trunk. Each spray tank would do 600 to 800 trees depending on their size.

Latest posts