Any Luck with Crossbow?

Help Support CattleToday:

FourSquareFarm

Reaction score
Hey there....Anyone use Crossbow? I have noticed many folks on CT mention they use Remedy. I looked at the Dow website and am wondering how they are best put to use for maybe different purposes. Thanks in advance for any input.

Crossbow is 34.4% 2,4-d with 16.5% triclopyr = 50.9% total herbicide by volume.
49.1% other ingredients--usually inert carriers.

triclopyr is the active ingredient in Remedy Ultra, at 60.45% total herbicide by volume
and 39.55% other ingredients.

I tried Crossbow spring 2013 instead of my usual tank mix of Remedy Ultra mixed with 2,4d.
I did not get as good of a kill rate with Crossbow as I had with my own mix of the same 2 herbicides.

Crossbow is $10/gal less expensive here than Remedy Ultra, and I had to buy the 2,4d to mix with my Remedy Ultra as well, but for me, Crossbow just didn't work as well.

Probably depends what you want to kill or control. I use the Remedy Ultra mostly for the perennial brush that comes up--the 2,4d will get most of my annual weeds.
My weeds & brush are chinese tallow, goatweed, dog fennel, sweetgum.

Spot spraying or broadcast? Mixed with diesel and spot spray on multiflora rose and osage orange hedgeapple and locust sprouts works good this time of year. no experince with water mixed or broadcast or using remedy.

by mixing remedy and 2-4D it is a lot cheaper than purchasing crossbow
and I have had better results
I always used 1oz remedy to 2 oz of D per gallon of water for broadcasting
For fence rows, blackberries and locust spot spraying I would use 2oz Remedy and 2oz of D pr gallon of water
I also added a little surfactant

Angus Cowman":2kphqi1n said:
by mixing remedy and 2-4D it is a lot cheaper than purchasing crossbow
and I have had better results
For fence rows, blackberries and locust spot spraying I would use 2oz Remedy and 2oz of D pr gallon of water
I also added a little surfactant

:nod: I agree

Angus Cowman":1lapxmre said:
That's a lot heavier concentration than I spray as broadcast.
1oz Rem :1gal h20 would equal 100 ounces or 3 1/4 qts Remedy per 100 gals of water.
Most I ever used was 2 qts Remedy and 2 qts 24,d/100 gal water, and I usually only mix 1 qt Remedy-1 qt 2,4d/100 gal water..

Greybeard and Angus Cowman....thanks for the response. I guess I didn't think about the actual percentage of product which would have an impact on the killing power. Sounds like it might work better to mix my own and save a few pennies. Dryfork, I am using it mostly for spot spraying weeds and some brush. Thanks for the advice about the surfactant too.

greybeard":11n0wt08 said:
Angus Cowman":11n0wt08 said:
1oz Rem :1gal h20 would equal 100 ounces or 3 1/4 qts Remedy per 100 gals of water.
Most I ever used was 2 qts Remedy and 2 qts 24,d/100 gal water, and I usually only mix 1 qt Remedy-1 qt 2,4d/100 gal water..
your correct I messed up on that I was using 1/2 oz of Remedy
I would use a gal pr 250 gal spray tank or 3 1/2 gallons in an 800 gallon tank for broadcasting
been awhile since I used any cause down here in cotton country we don't use D or Remedy unless it is in the winter

I always tend to mix heavy on everything because I want to make sure I burn the H... out of whatever I intend to kill.

greybeard":2jhjeki9 said:
Angus Cowman":2jhjeki9 said:
Don't forget to include all of the criteria....putting out 20 gal of mix per acre or 10 gal changes the recipe. ;-) I myself always assume 20 gal per acre but have used more or less depending on the size, type and density of the target weed.

I generally aim to put out 1/2 pint remedy and a pint of 2,4-d per acre. Works fine on young tender stuff. If I hit a patch of harder to kill stuff I slow the tractor speed down and it bumps up the volume being put out.

skyhightree1":1rmpv7p5 said:
I always tend to mix heavy on everything because I want to make sure I burn the H... out of whatever I intend to kill.
That philosophy doesn't always work. If you were trying to control Texas bull nettle (Cnidoscolus texanus) a lighter dose that makes the plant die slowly actually gives better control. If you fry it quickly, it just comes back from the root.

BC":1yl4b8tt said:
skyhightree1":1yl4b8tt said:
That philosophy doesn't always work. If you were trying to control Texas bull nettle (Cnidoscolus texanus) a lighter dose that makes the plant die slowly actually gives better control. If you fry it quickly, it just comes back from the root.

I guess its good im up here in Virginny :lol2:

I used Crossbow with great success last month and this past weekend I was able to go back to the farm and see the results of the fences my son in law and I sprayed. Crossbow performed better than I had hoped, took out the vines, rose bushes, miscellaneous thistles and other intrusive plants while leaving the grasses mostly unharmed.

I give the product 2 thumbs up!.

Latest posts