Old bottle of Crossbow -- is it still good?

Help Support CattleToday:

Luckiamute

Reaction score
Found an unopened 1-gallon bottle of Crossbow hiding in the back of the barn the other day. I'm guessing it could be 10 or 11 years old. Is the efficacy still good? I would hate to waste my time spraying and it didn't kill anything? Thanks.

Normally two years is shelf life of most chemicals but ive used some really old stuff and still worked well. Sometimes you need to give it a really good mix with a drill and paint stirrer. Had a drum of heptachlor that was still good after sitting there for 40 years.

I am always wary. I know some chemicals can break down to much more toxic compounds after time. The insecticide Diazinon is one example where the stabiliser deteriorates and it breaks down to very toxic components. It used to be used for flea control on dogs as well as its use on livestock and I know first hand of a couple of pets killed this way. It just makes me wary of any old chemicals but I am often guilty of testing these things out. Make sure you are well protected.

Ken

wbvs58 said:
I am always wary. I know some chemicals can break down to much more toxic compounds after time. The insecticide Diazinon is one example where the stabiliser deteriorates and it breaks down to very toxic components. It used to be used for flea control on dogs as well as its use on livestock and I know first hand of a couple of pets killed this way. It just makes me wary of any old chemicals but I am often guilty of testing these things out. Make sure you are well protected.

Ken

I guess the intended application would be an important factor. Our neighbour sprayed his pear crop with an old drum of chemical for thrips, made all his pears rust so bad they were unsaleble. That is a whole years work down the drain trying to save a few dollars.

bird dog said:
I would just mix a little of it at a time (maybe 20%) with my other chemicals when making up a batch. Shake up good.

Good Idea.

Crossbow is a brush killer, most places you'll use it there's not much else growing I assume. It's not a residual herbicide, so no lasting effects, mix it up like bird dog said and go for it.

Latest posts