Criticize this heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

I copied this from a friend's sale catalog, but I agree with what he was saying.

"When is it going to be
enough?" It's human nature to think that bigger is better, but when will we be satisfied?
If those heifers weighed 1,200-1,300 pounds at a year of age, they would weigh between
1,850 and 2,000 pounds as mature cows. At what weight do your cows offer the best
returns? The most common answer I get is around 1,150-1,300 pounds, so that at a year
of age, your replacement heifers need to be around 750-850 pounds. I did a little figuring:
at a year of age if a heifer weighs 950 pounds, she will mature at over 1,450 pounds.
If she weighs 1,050 pounds, she will mature over 1,600 pounds. Like I said, it's something
to think about. What is required of a first calf heifer after she calves? She needs to
do two things: raise her calf and breed back early. If she is late breeding back after her
first calf, typically it takes a few years to get her back in the front of the calving, if ever.
If she has the right growth curve (fast early growth and then shut it off), this can hap-
- 25 -
pen consistently. If she has an extended growth curve, then she is trying to grow herself,
feed her calf, and breed back (hopefully early) at the same time. Something has to give,
and she will take care of her requirements first. Either we will get an open in the fall, real
late breed back, or a dud of a calf. We know that the females that are the most profitable
are the ones that each and every year calve at the front of the herd. An extra 20 days
on a calf is a lot when we get ready to sell it in the fall. It can be the difference between
a profitable year or not. One thing that I feel is really important when selecting your
replacement heifers is to make sure that their mother has calved early each year. I have
noticed in our herd that this trait is very heritable and valuable.

Bull on the right is 4.5-5 frame.
WP_20160325_10_22_55_Pro.jpg

gizmom":26v8gaml said:
I copied this from a friend's sale catalog, but I agree with what he was saying.

"When is it going to be
enough?" It's human nature to think that bigger is better, but when will we be satisfied?
If those heifers weighed 1,200-1,300 pounds at a year of age, they would weigh between
1,850 and 2,000 pounds as mature cows. At what weight do your cows offer the best
returns? The most common answer I get is around 1,150-1,300 pounds, so that at a year
of age, your replacement heifers need to be around 750-850 pounds. I did a little figuring:
at a year of age if a heifer weighs 950 pounds, she will mature at over 1,450 pounds.
If she weighs 1,050 pounds, she will mature over 1,600 pounds. Like I said, it's something
to think about. What is required of a first calf heifer after she calves? She needs to
do two things: raise her calf and breed back early. If she is late breeding back after her
first calf, typically it takes a few years to get her back in the front of the calving, if ever.
If she has the right growth curve (fast early growth and then shut it off), this can hap-
- 25 -
pen consistently. If she has an extended growth curve, then she is trying to grow herself,
feed her calf, and breed back (hopefully early) at the same time. Something has to give,
and she will take care of her requirements first. Either we will get an open in the fall, real
late breed back, or a dud of a calf. We know that the females that are the most profitable
are the ones that each and every year calve at the front of the herd. An extra 20 days
on a calf is a lot when we get ready to sell it in the fall. It can be the difference between
a profitable year or not. One thing that I feel is really important when selecting your
replacement heifers is to make sure that their mother has calved early each year. I have
noticed in our herd that this trait is very heritable and valuable.

Thanks for posting this. It's hard being a new guy b/c everyone's pushing big, Big, BIG!! but to hear it from a person that's been doing it forever that this is their opinion on making the most money is very refreshing. Sometimes reinventing the wheel isn't always a good thing.

Though I can't say that breeding back late is ever good, I've had some exceptional producing cows that were pretty much always in the second cycle, so up to 40 days later than the first calf, but they had tons of milk, and their calves were usually the best looking ones in the bunch (because they had lots of milk)... I don't think the monetary loss of a small calf is as extreme as it's often made out to be...
Example? 2 full sisters last year, bred to the same bull.. both had steer calves. One sister had no milk, calf was evidently a dink and ugly, 375 lbs @ 190 days old. The second sister had LOTS of milk, her steer was in the top 1% of best looking steers I've ever raised here, thick, muscled and long, 650 lbs @ 180 days.
Now for the prices... The 375 lb guy got $3.85/lb or $1445... The 650 lb steer got $2.75/lb or $1755.. So from the worst steer to the best steer is only a $300 difference.. I was tickled about the price on the dink but looking at the price spread was a kick in the nuts for the nice one.. I put 300 lbs of meat on him for $1/lb

In order to adequately assess the Maternal value of this heifer from pictures, we should see front, top and rear views of her. She is a fine heifer for a beginning herd to improve with retained daughters from her if you mate her to a bull which will compliment and improve her capacity - that is, deepen her daughters' heart girth. She is restricted (pinched) around her body just behind her front legs. If her retained daughters could be improved that way (and, of course, balance her CE, WW and not excessive milk EPD's) you would have a fine start of Maternal producers.

I wouldn't knit-pick her at all. She is a pretty well-made heifer. Just be careful in selecting the bull(s) to whom you mate her.

DOC HARRIS

Her dam just had a calf few minutes ago. 10 days earlier than her last year's calf date. Same sire but the calf gender is unknown at this moment.

In my opinion, she is a nice heifer. She has a lot of depth and length to her, and she looks really nice for just coming out of winter. My one critique of her is that she could be a bit more feminine through the head and neck. Her neck seems to be a bit short in comparison to the rest of her body.

Muddy":2q74s1rd said:
I kept her as a replacement. Her first birthday is on April 5th and her guesstimate weight is around 870-950lbs. She eats nothing but hay for the entire winter. What's the negative on this heifer? My concern is her short frame but she's not done with growing yet.

IMG_20160323_165744_zpsgflcwloi.jpg

IMG_20160323_165843_zpsqc7onaay.jpg
Great heifer, should match well with your mongrel hobby herd.....good job!!

This heifer should help you get your hobby herd to the quality of bigger operations and make your cattle more competitive with the market.. Once you get uniformity, things will all fit together...

Thanks Linda. She came from a very good bloodline. Her dam and granddam (and granddad's maternal sisters) are built exactly like her so I have high hopes for her. Stout, shorter but very fleshy which that's what I am changing a hard doing herd to a herd of easy keepers. Nothing's wrong with upgrading up the herd. Most beltie crosses I have are very uniformed other than two lanky tall ones. The blacks/reds belongs to my family, only the belties are mine but my family and I do cattle business together.

Muddy":30h5pvnb said:
Thanks Linda. She came from a very good bloodline. Her dam and granddam (and granddad's maternal sisters) are built exactly like her so I have high hopes for her. Stout, shorter but very fleshy which that's what I am changing a hard doing herd to a herd of easy keepers. Nothing's wrong with upgrading up the herd. Most beltie crosses I have are very uniformed other than two lanky tall ones. The blacks/reds belongs to my family, only the belties are mine but my family and I do cattle business together.
For a hobby guy, you're looking forward to the future in improving your hobby herd..

So you can called me a hobby guy but you said your mutant bull is just an experiment for fun.

Muddy":3uy7x67u said:
So you can called me a hobby guy but you said your mutant bull is just an experiment for fun.
Ya gotta have fun when its what you do for a living. Heck, who knows i may have a new breed on my hands. I'm guessing when you're a hobby guy, experimenting is pretty much what you are doing..so you should understand. We have our other herds making us money.....and its not like this mutant bull is going to lose the farm on the 20 or so calves he makes. SO heck yeah, my hobby is experimenting too besides our ranching...

She has excellent depth of chest. She is very balanced and she has solid plumbs . Good heifer!

French Anne":2adqhrk5 said:
She has excellent depth of chest. She is very balanced and she has solid plumbs . Good heifer!
Thank you! You have a sharp eye!

Latest posts