Criticize this heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

Muddy

Reaction score
I kept her as a replacement. Her first birthday is on April 5th and her guesstimate weight is around 870-950lbs. She eats nothing but hay for the entire winter. What's the negative on this heifer? My concern is her short frame but she's not done with growing yet.

IMG_20160323_165744_zpsgflcwloi.jpg

IMG_20160323_165843_zpsqc7onaay.jpg

She looks too short for her length and is a touch heavy fronted. That's being way too critical though. I like the angles in her rear third, but the front third is pretty hard to judge on those photos and may be part of the heavy fronted look she has. Is she bold through the shoulder, or is it just brisket and extra leather? She looks to have plenty of bone and natural mass. I also like her top line and depth of rib. Should get the job done!

I like her, though I wouldn't mind if her legs were a touch longer too... I have one in red just like her (she's 3 years old though).

I kinda of blame on Galloway blood for her short frame, despite of have both parents being 5.5 frame. I hope that she will add more frame this summer on the grazing pasture. Yes she has a bit extra leather and brisket and I don't know if it's a good thing but she never gets anything special feed.

Well I have never found that the air underneath those long legged animals weighs all that much, and is pretty dang tasteless. So I don't mind short when they have a lot of red meat and this heifer is gonna be a meat wagon.

Gizmom

I'm not a fan. Short squatty frame. I don't like what I can see of her leg structure and question how good of a traveler she will be, especially once she fills out that short frame like I'm certain she will. A little coarse looking too. Not overly feminine either. She may feed her head off but she doesn't look like one I'd sort into a replacement pen. In fact, to be honest, just based on those two pictures, she wouldn't even be "in the conversation" to be a replacement.

Nice one Muddy! You are improving your stock. That is all you can hope for, to breed better than you bought.

The only time I dont like a short cow is if I need to help a new calf suck. After that they dont bother me - within reason of course. And she's standing in a few inches of leaves.

And for whatever reason my shorter cows are always more calm than the long legged twitchy buggers.

If she is not yet a year and weighs 900 pounds on grass alone, she is most definitely a keeper.

Being a 3-4 frame with stout body should not be an issue. You want that early growth rather than later growth.

She will be just fine as a momma cow. Would maybe clean up the front 1/3, but not an issue outside of the show ring.

I have a similar old girl. She is a 3 framer and weighs 1300 pounds on grass. Spits out a calf every year. She is now 11. She is my boss cow.

Lots of capacity! She would be in my keeper pen, that is for sure. I have one much like her, we call her the little pig! Short, huge rib shape, and looks like she has little air under her. I think your heifer is deceiving, because she has so much rib shape, she looks short to the ground. Just my observation...

She would be a keeper here. Hard to tell much with that much hair on her and standing a little bit of a funky angle. I'd take 50 of them like that.

Thank you for these positive feedback! As for these negative feedback, I'm starting to liking short framed cows. They all appears to be easy keepers than the tall ones.

Breeding her to a black Limo or Balancer might work very well for you :)

For frame size, I think there is moderation to be had everywhere, the bigger ones do seem to be somewhat harder keepers around here too, but not problematically so.

I agree with the moderation on frame size. It seems that most black Angus around here appears to be hard doing types and a bit lanky.

Latest posts