craigslist cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

bigbull338":111bwvr5 said:
no this will be his 1st year at tarlton state in stevenville.he is going tobe an ag teacher. you boys know ive got to get the best deal when im buying cattle.an there aint a 1 of yall that wouldve done the samething.an theres no way i cheated the boy.if he had of taken them to the sale barn he wouldnt have got what i give him for them.

You are the first person to mention cheat, and please don't tell me what I would do in certain situations.

bigbull338":10l82761 said:
no this will be his 1st year at tarlton state in stevenville.he is going tobe an ag teacher.Well it looks like he just got his first lesson in the AG business and that would be that; "There's no friends in the pool hall.
you boys know ive got to get the best deal when im buying cattle.
Well BB that may be true but I believe that you are gonna pay more for those cows in the long run than any you ever bought.
an there aint a 1 of yall that wouldve done the samething\
I think I gotta go with ALX on this one. You have no idea what I would have done. But for the record I just made a deal to "donate a heifer for 2 years to the little girl that showed one of my steers this year and am letting her keep the first calf for herself. I am also going to spring for a substantial portion of the feed. Since I will ultimately benefit from the arrangement and I KNOW IT.
.an theres no way i cheated the boy.if he had of taken them to the sale barn he wouldnt have got what i give him for them.

There's no way to know that short of you taking them there and selling them yourself. If they bring more you should send him the difference. If they bring less then we will all go back to thinking yer just a big ole teddy bear like before. Truth be told I believe that you really are a good guy and probably are having some guilt about this deal anyway. No one can tell you what is the right thing to do. You gotta figure that out for yourself. If it helps try putting that nephew you like so much in that boys shoes and ask yourself how you would have treated him. NUFF SAID

ok ill say it again it was his choice to come down on the deal.not mine i held to my word an took all 3.the 2 cows just happen tobe bred.an if they wasnt that wouldve been my loss.i dont think no 1 here wouldve give a $1000 for an 8 month old heifer.theres no cheap deals anyway.they all cost 1 way or the other.we are in a very bad spot here.if we dont get rain soon the grass is gone.that means feeding hay.an the boy was already running up a hay bill on the cows.the cows hopefully will stay in my herd.an todo that have to calve every year.if they dont most likely they be on the trailer.

ANAZAZI":2r2ayt14 said:
you have done nothing wrong here,

Ditto. You haven't done a thing wrong. The young man is old enough to sell the cattle at whatever price he wants. It is your job to find the best buys possible to help your own profitability. Don't let anybody guilt trip you about this. Go on buying good cheap cattle and turning a profit.

Jake":3b8yu42r said:
ANAZAZI":3b8yu42r said:
you have done nothing wrong here,

Ditto. You haven't done a thing wrong. The young man is old enough to sell the cattle at whatever price he wants. It is your job to find the best buys possible to help your own profitability. Don't let anybody guilt trip you about this. Go on buying good cheap cattle and turning a profit.
The young man definitely needs to learn the value of his cattle. THIS IS NOT THE WAY TO DO IT. But then again, he may be very forgiving. Let's hope so.

I think some of you are being a bit heavy booted on ole bigbull338.

sounds like to me he had the same discusion I have with every buyer that has ever called me about any animal. I have had people get mad and leave if I would not budge on prices even though they wanted the animals.

I have finally learned to post the price higher than I actually want....just so that folks can drag me down to what I actually want for the animal. Then the buyer is happy that he beat me down and I am happy that I got what I want.

In this case the buyer paid for the hauling, paid for the vet work and paid the agreed on price. I never had anyone pay me for hauling a bull to them. some folks like to pick em up themselves but I never thought about charging for delivery. Now I do sell all my bulls locally. the one that left here Saturday did go about a hundred miles but the buyer hauled him and the buyer lives five miles from me and owns a farm down yonder.

I am trying to sell a travel trailer right now and the least I will take is always in the first three questions, so it is not just livestock buyers. amazing the number of people that want to trade me crap for my trailer.

Pdf but you were the seller in each case. I still like the definition of market value used in real estate:

Market value is the most probable price which a property should bring in a competitive and open market under all conditions requisite to a fair sale, the buyer and seller, each acting prudently, knowledgeably and assuming the price is not affected by undue stimulus. Implicit in this definition is the consummation of a sale as of a specified date and the passing of title from seller to buyer under conditions whereby: (1) buyer and seller are typically motivated; (2) both parties are well informed or well advised, and each acting in what he considers his own best interest; (3) a reasonable time is allowed for exposure in the open market; (4) payment is made in terms of cash in U.S. dollars or in terms of financial arrangements comparable thereto; and (5) the price represents the normal consideration for the property sold unaffected by special or creative financing or sales concessions granted by anyone associated with the sale.

alacattleman":3ux0j0ca said:
im still trying to figure out the throw away angus comment,, :lol2:

I just took that to be some breed prejudice.....

Actually it became clear to me later in the thread that he wanted purebred cattle and so the cross bred calves were..... to him.... throwaways or market calves. I don't think a market calf is a throwaway but I think his mindset at the time of typing is that the calves would not contribute to his breeding.

purely the way I interpretted the reading. But I have learned that 10 people reading the same story will learn ten different things.

I guess bigbull was supposed to negotiate a higher price? Give me a break. Everyone knows this is a buyer beware business. If those cows die tomorrow who came out on top of the deal then?

Walt

TexasBred":3n7jhgwb said:
Pdf but you were the seller in each case. I still like the definition of market value used in real estate:

Market value is the most probable price which a property should bring in a competitive and open market under all conditions requisite to a fair sale, the buyer and seller, each acting prudently, knowledgeably and assuming the price is not affected by undue stimulus. Implicit in this definition is the consummation of a sale as of a specified date and the passing of title from seller to buyer under conditions whereby: (1) buyer and seller are typically motivated; (2) both parties are well informed or well advised, and each acting in what he considers his own best interest; (3) a reasonable time is allowed for exposure in the open market; (4) payment is made in terms of cash in U.S. dollars or in terms of financial arrangements comparable thereto; and (5) the price represents the normal consideration for the property sold unaffected by special or creative financing or sales concessions granted by anyone associated with the sale.

yeah......
but if I was to hit some of my customers with that lingo......
all I would get would be a cloud of dust.....

I worked long and hard to get a reputation for quality cattle at a fair price from a guy with some integrity to do what he says he will do. most of my buyers today are repeat or referral. Of course I don't have much to sell right now. down to a bull or two per year.

i still maintain that some of you are expecting special consideration for the young man because he is going off to school. All I am saying is pretend that Bigbull338 had been buying cattle for you instead of for him and most of you would come a little ways down from the philanthropic moral high ground. You would not care where he bought them but you would care that he got a good value for your money.

boy this topic has exploded an taken off.to explain the throw away calf remark.im in the reg beefmasters.so i wont be E6ing the heifer calf.or putting her in the grade up program.i sold a coming 2yr old heifer to my nephew because i was having probs getting her papers.an if he didnt want her she was going to the sale.most all of yall have off farm jobs to carry your cattle farm.the farm an cattle are my only job.an in 3 to 4yrs we will have close to 150 cows an heifers.we are already at 90hd of cows heifers an calves now.

Bigbull I have a question for you and am not trying to stir the poop. Where were this kids parents through this whole deal? I can't imaging letting my 18yr old son sell cattle without me approving the deal.

his mom was right beside him the whole time we was making the deal on the ph.so she knew everything that was going on.an she couldve stopped the deal.i know they was already buying hay to feed the cows because their grass was gone.an im sure that they didnt want to tend to cows with him gone.if my dad was still alive he wouldve skinned me alive if i didnt try to get the best deal possable.bottomline is this he wanted the cows sold before he went to collage.

Well that's good enuf for me. If they knew the deal and let it go anyway there's not much you coulda done different. I should have asked that question earlier. I apologize for coming down on you so hard. I just have a soft spot for kids. Especially the ones that work hard and try to be something.

yes i told him he would have 1st chance at their reg heifer calves.so he can possably get 3 heifers to start his new herd in 2yrs.or any of my reg heifer calves from my herd.an im sure not gonna over charge him.

bigbull338":2rspsemm said:
yes i told him he would have 1st chance at their reg heifer calves.so he can possably get 3 heifers to start his new herd in 2yrs.or any of my reg heifer calves from my herd.an im sure not gonna over charge him.

What makes you think he will want back in after the fleecing he took on his first venture?? :lol:

Sure you will charge him what you think you can get away with, or your Daddy would skin you alive!!
( It is just not likely you will brag about it on the internet though ). :oops:

now im really laughing.if i say ill sell him heifer calves at weaning then ill do it.an ill treat him fairly.i priced a pair that my buddy had the bloodlines was what i wanted.an he wanted $3000 for the pair.an i got him down to $2700.an i told him id give $2500 without blinking.but i said no.so was he trying to hook me no.the calf at side was a show calf.