Coyotes

Help Support CattleToday:

that coyote was harvested while driving down the field at about 40 mph with a guy hanging out of of the window. they like to run down the corn rows so it is pretty easy to keep them going straight. Not the safest hunting practices but it better that the driver trying to drive and hunt at the same time.LOL

We go out in full camo, at one of three times. Early morning, set up like kinda like you would if you were turkey hunting, only you bring a .223 and .243 instead of the ol Mathews or shotgun. You can go out about an hour before dark and set up, but bring a spotlight. Then, you can go out at about midnight, this works alot better in the early fall than any other time (for us, anyhow). I live in IL, and we had a bad yote problem about 10 years ago. Since then, my dad, a neighbor thats from AK, and myself have pretty much taken care of the yotes, and some SSS cases of wild dogs. Oh, and roadkill deer make excellent bait for either critter.

I have personally killed one coyote with a .22, and that was two years ago when one was in my yard...my Rhodesian Ridgeback killed his buddy.

Yeah some great points made in this conversation. Coyotes do get blamed for a lot of stuff that dogs do. I've never heard of a coyote taking on a cow before sheep, calves, goatsyes but nota cow but i guess its possible if they are hungry enough. Coyotes are amazingly tough and can adapt very quickly. Ive heard of trapers skinning coyotes and often finding .22 bullets, shotgun BB's and even buckshot in the skin and hide. It takes a good shot and a large gun with a good sized bullet. Especially since here in Northwest Iowa they are getting up to the size of a full grown German Shepheard and are running in lare packs. Personally i think they have started inbreeding with wild dogs. We like to hunt them after a fresh snow or on cold sunny days. If you hae fresh snow we drive around sections and look fro fresh tracts crossing the road. Then you get out the binoculars and start walking. They like to lay on the sunny side of feild tarraces away from roads and traveled areas and sun themselves. Calls work but if you misss they will never fall for it again. Just my thoughts on this continueing problem.

got 3 off our farm during christmas break. theres a group of guys that have been hunting them around here and got 20 in about a months time. honestly i think thats enough. they arnt exactly over populated.

iowafarmer":33jdqm4f said:
Yeah some great points made in this conversation. Coyotes do get blamed for a lot of stuff that dogs do. I've never heard of a coyote taking on a cow before sheep, calves, goatsyes but nota cow but i guess its possible if they are hungry enough. Coyotes are amazingly tough and can adapt very quickly. Ive heard of trapers skinning coyotes and often finding .22 bullets, shotgun BB's and even buckshot in the skin and hide. It takes a good shot and a large gun with a good sized bullet. Especially since here in Northwest Iowa they are getting up to the size of a full grown German Shepheard and are running in lare packs. Personally i think they have started inbreeding with wild dogs. We like to hunt them after a fresh snow or on cold sunny days. If you hae fresh snow we drive around sections and look fro fresh tracts crossing the road. Then you get out the binoculars and start walking. They like to lay on the sunny side of feild tarraces away from roads and traveled areas and sun themselves. Calls work but if you misss they will never fall for it again. Just my thoughts on this continueing problem.

Dogs are a 100 times worse and coyotes get blamed for feeding on there kill. Fido and Rover will travel miles in a night to kill for the pure joy of it. Have to learn to read sign dog track and kill method is a lot different than coyote.

My grandfather told me coyotes don't kill any thing that wasn't dieing already as far as cattle go. Chickens and other and animals are different.

I know one property where I can shine a spotlight and easily see 5 coyotes around the cattle. Never have had a proven case of coyotes getting a calf. If some have been gotten it was not enough to take note. :?

I will shoot wild dogs aruond the cattle before coyotes, I am with Caustic that coyotes catch a bad rap most the time.

I've watched 4 or 5 coyotes at a time laying out next to the calving pasture waiting on a cow to calf. Never hurt a newborn yet but immediately run and get the afterbirth when it comes out. Dogs on the other hand are different. They'll lay on the front porch all day sleeping then get up in the afternoon, get with some of their buddies and go chase a grown heifer til she's exhausted, pull her down and begin eating her rearend out. Then go right back to the porch. I've wiped out a couple of groups with well placed rifle shots.

TexasBred":3r9u3jhq said:
I've watched 4 or 5 coyotes at a time laying out next to the calving pasture waiting on a cow to calf. Never hurt a newborn yet but immediately run and get the afterbirth when it comes out. Dogs on the other hand are different. They'll lay on the front porch all day sleeping then get up in the afternoon, get with some of their buddies and go chase a grown heifer til she's exhausted, pull her down and begin eating her rearend out. Then go right back to the porch. I've wiped out a couple of groups with well placed rifle shots.

You hit the nail on the head. I have seen everything from Beagles to German Shepherds in the pack.

Caustic Burno":3vs097i7 said:
TexasBred":3vs097i7 said:

You hit the nail on the head. I have seen everything from Beagles to German Shepherds in the pack.

There are packs of coyotes around my cows and none have ever been bothered.

If coyotes start taking a liking to pork or piglets, we're gonna get to be real good friends.

Got a neighbor down there with dogs. Three or four other neighbors have been at odds with him over his dogs running calves. When I SSS, one of the other neighbors will likely get blamed as I have never said a word about those dogs.

i have personally witnessed a solitary yote attack a young calf in broad daylight.

This coyote must have been hungry to be out in the daytime. I've shot a few in my hay barn this year that had bedded up in between the hay bales. Looks like the mange has gotten the better of him....
2q3uplu.jpg

TexasBred":1zoed2ha said:
Wewild":1zoed2ha said:
i have personally witnessed a solitary yote attack a young calf in broad daylight.

Wonder where mama was?

Grazing within 50 yards of the attack. Actually she was closer than me and I was within 50 yards.

Caustic Burno":320ju5dv said:
TexasBred":320ju5dv said:

Went after a pack today. Started in my front yard and ended at the west end of my pasture over 1/4 mile away. Must have been 10 0r 12 mixed pack of Labs,Boxers,Pit Bulls and who knows what other breeds. Must have used 1/2 a box of shotgun shells peppering them all the way down the road. They come back it will be the 30/06 I use next time. :mad:

Latest posts