Coyotes

Help Support CattleToday:

If they killed a 7 weight steer, there was something wrong with the steer. The biggest problem on my farm is vermin. Period. From mice and rabbits to woodchucks and raccoons. Any enemy of vermin is a friend of mine.
I agree except coyotes also are on my list of vermin. We have more than our share of hawks and eagles, they're the only predators I have patience for.
Some of the coyotes that make the rounds here could pass for small wolves. Several can definitely pull down a good sized calf. The times we've had trouble is in the dead of winter, snow on the ground. Less small prey jumping around then i suppose.

The only reason the dogs don't kill and eat them for food is because they are well fed back at home where they are known as Jack or Duke or Fluffy.

Canine instincts are canine instincts no matter what.

We shoot everyone here, and if I told this before I apologize. But a few years ago, I was sitting in my radio room with a SE view, and a couple came across. To make a long story short, I got the first one, and made the 2nd change directions a few times with the sks.

I'm sure it's different from place to place, but stray or roaming dogs are extremely rare around here since the coyote numbers have increased. 35 or so years ago it was a common occurrence to find dogs running cattle or find a goat being mauled by a dogs.
There also may be a size difference in coyotes of different areas that may explain why some people haven't had predation issues while some have.
There is quite a range of size of them here.

I'm sure it's different from place to place, but stray or roaming dogs are extremely rare around here since the coyote numbers have increased. 35 or so years ago it was a common occurrence to find dogs running cattle or find a goat being mauled by a dogs.
There also may be a size difference in coyotes of different areas that may explain why some people haven't had predation issues while some have.
There is quite a range of size of them here.

We have what I would call a healthy population of coyotes and it hasn't seemed to really bother the stray dogs. We have a lot of stray dogs.

My brother-in-law that owns the place next to me but doesn't live there just sent me some pics from his cellular trail cam today of some dogs chasing deer. Last winter I had 3 strays running the woods every day chasing deer. I caught 2 out of the 3 in foothold traps. Never seen the other again but it did trip my third trap.

We have what I would call a healthy population of coyotes and it hasn't seemed to really bother the stray dogs. We have a lot of stray dogs.

My brother-in-law that owns the place next to me but doesn't live there just sent me some pics from his cellular trail cam today of some dogs chasing deer. Last winter I had 3 strays running the woods every day chasing deer. I caught 2 out of the 3 in foothold traps. Never seen the other again but it did trip my third trap.
I'm sure it varies from one area to the next. A lot of factors, come into play. I am just going by what I have seen here, and the timing of the decline in stray dogs coincides with the arrival and population success of coyotes. There still are isolated events of a dog getting loose, but the near everyday happening of 2-3 or more dogs roaming through the country side isn't occurring like it did when I was a child. Back then, we had several goats on different occasions that got killed or maimed so bad that they had to be put down because of dogs.
Another observation is that we have a female dog, and even when she is in heat, there has only been one dog come around in nearly 4 years. Used to be they would come around quite a bit when a dog was in heat. We have many more houses in the area now, and I'm sure most have dogs, maybe they just keep them contained better than folks used to.