Coyotes

Help Support CattleToday:

SmokeStackFarms

Reaction score
We have a very bad coyote problem?
maybe this is an old topic.
I did not see it in recent post.
One group of farmers killed 25 in one night.
The nightly baby-laughing-crying sounds sometime sound like they are on my front lawn.
It worries me in regards to my new calves.
Purchase 4 donkeys---I don't like their grass eating--4x pooping presence. I am not convinced they are so great at keeping the coyotes away.
I shot one coyote, 3x with a 22lr; it didn't faze the varmit. Knocked him down, jumped up and ran.
some have suggested a tri-hook--(deep-sea fishing hook) with meat hanging 7-8' off the ground.
Anti-freeze --i was told-no longer is poisonous.
Help! :help: :?: :help: :?: :idea:

SmokeStackFarms":2t90jwqi said:
We have a very bad coyote problem?
maybe this is an old topic.
I did not see it in recent post.
One group of farmers killed 25 in one night.
The nightly baby-laughing-crying sounds sometime sound like they are on my front lawn.
It worries me in regards to my new calves.
Purchase 4 donkeys---I don't like their grass eating--4x pooping presence. I am not convinced they are so great at keeping the coyotes away.
I shot one coyote, 3x with a 22lr; it didn't faze the varmit. Knocked him down, jumped up and ran.
some have suggested a tri-hook--(deep-sea fishing hook) with meat hanging 7-8' off the ground.
Anti-freeze --i was told-no longer is poisonous.
Help! :help: :?: :help: :?: :idea:

Are you saying that you have 4 donkeys or are going to get 4 fo them?
Might want to have those sights checked on the 22LR. or get some CCI hollow points, and aim for the head, or heart. One shot should take care of them. OR... use a bigger caliber (.243, .270) gun.

have you ever used one of those electronic predator calls. they seem to call them right in. they make the sounds of a wounded rabbit. i would also grab a bigger gun. i dont mess around , take out the 30-06, then ya dont have to walk to far to find them. around here there are always people that want to shoot them, maybe if ya put the word out some people will come over and give ya a hand.

The "problem" thing puzzles me. You state you are worried about new born calves. Have those coyotes actually killed any of your stock? Have they even run any calves?

I watch coyotes go through the pasture and they don't even look at the cattle.

There are some dogs that have been seen running my calves. Three neighbors are going at it with that dog owner right now. I've never met him or spoke to him. This is going to be an SSS scenario for me, as soon as I see those dogs on my place. The owner is probably going to blame on of those folks who politely contacted him. If he found out it was me, I might get nails thrown on the drive or something.

Secretly, I am hoping the coyotes beat me to the SSS. Coyotes are very beneficial with all these city folks moving in with umpteen dogs running around. Many folks I talk to see the coyotes as an asset.

Mexican buzzards are a real problem with new born calves. I have not heard of anyone losing a calve to coyotes but I have heard the buzzard stories.

lineman-up":e80v58w8 said:
have you ever used one of those electronic predator calls. they seem to call them right in. they make the sounds of a wounded rabbit. i would also grab a bigger gun. i dont mess around , take out the 30-06, then ya dont have to walk to far to find them. around here there are always people that want to shoot them, maybe if ya put the word out some people will come over and give ya a hand.

Tried those calls.. but they are very leary animals, and wont come out too easy.

Limomike":3clcvt59 said:
lineman-up":3clcvt59 said:

Tried those calls.. but they are very leary animals, and wont come out too easy.

The fawn in distress call will bring them right up to you. We called many in back in the summer just for kicks. Put in the coyote senerade and you'll have many packs answering you, giving you their locale. Switch over to the fawn distress and watch in the direction of the closest ones.

If you use one of the turkey calls, do it in the day time. It works. Not good after dark tho.

In reply to:::"have your sites line up"---no doubt I think the shots hit--somewhere--but do think they grazed him some of the time--but do know --@ least one got him.. But obviously no damage.

next: I bought 4 donkeys. I have also a mix bred(border-collie/labordor) that barks all night long. I'm sure it helps.
If you think coyotes are a good thing---"COD"come on down---
I will share all you want.. They have not gotten my calves but I worry about it. My neighbor had a pack of 8 jump his cow and tore it's bottom side out ---in a heart beat. Yeh, wild dogs kill for killing----but I have personally witnessed the problem of coyotes.
They are not docile helpers!!
My nephew Has loaned me a ak-47.-50 clip.
I am investigating the calls.. I want as many options and thoughts---my neighbor is from Alaska. He said he has trapped everything---the coyote is the most difficult.

backhoeboogie":27ilsgoq said:
The "problem" thing puzzles me. You state you are worried about new born calves. Have those coyotes actually killed any of your stock? Have they even run any calves?

I watch coyotes go through the pasture and they don't even look at the cattle.

There are some dogs that have been seen running my calves. Three neighbors are going at it with that dog owner right now. I've never met him or spoke to him. This is going to be an SSS scenario for me, as soon as I see those dogs on my place. The owner is probably going to blame on of those folks who politely contacted him. If he found out it was me, I might get nails thrown on the drive or something.

Secretly, I am hoping the coyotes beat me to the SSS. Coyotes are very beneficial with all these city folks moving in with umpteen dogs running around. Many folks I talk to see the coyotes as an asset.

Mexican buzzards are a real problem with new born calves. I have not heard of anyone losing a calve to coyotes but I have heard the buzzard stories.

Yotes get blamed for a lot of stuff dogs do that are laying on the porch all day and killing all night. If you are overrun with yotes you have a mice or rabbit problem. If you are overun with dogs you have a calf problem.
Got a pack working the area right now giving several of us fits two pit bulls a rotweiller and a cur.

Ok, folks, I have some answers regarding this one, and yes many of you will remember the debate it caused here a year or so ago, but please trust me on this one, as I have truly done my homework on this one, and of course, I would invite anyone to look up "eastern coyote" etc on the net to verify what i say.

No 1- Eatern coyotes, those animals most prevelent EAST of the Mississippi River are very different then the western coyotes. for one thing they can be much larger, they have different hunting and packing instincts, as researchers have isolated DNA from various wolf strains in the eastern. The suspicion is that they were interbred with either or both the red or timber wolf some time ago. Thus they have grown larger, and they can will hunt not only alone, but in packs after smaller prey becomes scarce later in the winter months, and early spring, especially when pups need to be fed!

They are not as shy as the western in their habits as well, and have been known to enter cattle, goat, and sheep herds during daylight hours to prey upon them....and they have in fact in the past preyed upon the guardian dog in the pasture as well.

Now, that being said........calling is wonderfull, ONCE, maybe even twice you can get an animal to come to it, but they get wise very quickly.

Leg hold traps seem to be the way to go, snares even better, as you can in fact much better target coyotes with both based upon the manner in which you set them, including the scents you use for attraction, and bait, not to mention the the height of the snare and the manner in which you also set that.........never ever set upon a well used game trail but off to the side with a proper attractant.

Donkeys, and Llamas are great as well........but only ONE per pasture..as they will otherwise simply be themselves, a group of donkey's or Llamas that have little or no interest in the herd they are there to protect....by isolating them, you force them to become part of the herd, and develop a bond with them, and that my friend, is what it will take for them to protect the herd from predators. Trust me , in this case, more is not better, it defeats the purpose. Been there done that.

Now, an inexpensive and not so proven method is to collect human urine and spread that around the fence line.........I tried that before, but how does one know if it works? I will again try it in order to perhaps leave a smaller area for the coyotes to feel more comfortable to enter the pasture, they are going to anyway, so narrow the area down if you can, thus being a place you can poosible set those snares or traps.

I prefer snares, as you cna get them rather cheaply, and order ones that do not lock and kill the animal, in case you get soem ones pet. Nice thing about dogs is the fact, that instinct usually tells them that once they know they are caught in such a device, they will stop sturggling and not cause themselve so much harm nor choke themselves to death, a locking snare does not give them that chance, as every movement tightens it.
Now as far as leg hold traps, use No#2 or larger, but again, if possiblity of pets getting caught , use either a laminated or rubber jawed trap...they cost more but are worth it expecially if you catch pets on occasion by accident.

Now as far as poisons...yes, regretably, done that too out of desperation.but who knows what eats it? and if it is some ones pet...there is no coming back, no second chances. No way to release them humanely as you would a snare or leg hold trap. It's over. it made no difference in the population of the coyotes here.

Now, they do make some things called 'Niteze'. I see them advertized in alot of mag. such as mother earth news etc. they are little LED lights that are run by bateries, and supposed to keep many animals out of the pastures when they see those red eyes staring at them. Don't really know if they work or not.

Now certainly not least, several more important points.............

In heavily populated areas, trapping and snaring needs to be done with great care, but on the other hand, in these same areas coyotes are much more accustomed to the human scent, and one need not be so careful about leaving scent behind them as they work to set up traps etc.
The treble hook thing, I have done, but the first time you walk up to an animal hanging from one of those, you vow to never do that again. This is cruel to the extreme..and again, think of your good neighbor's dog hanging there.............

Think about how ever you chose to rid yourself of these 'canines of the devil', keep in mind that your work will just as likely be visited by a curious and very innocent pet or other animal in the woods.........there are in fact many ways to somewhat prevent that, or at least be able to undo an unintended catch.

Trust me also on this, I hate them, I hate them with passion. and given the chance will kill each and everyone i can find, but I would still chose to do it humanely, and without collateral damage so to speak. we need not have any one making compliants that would allow the nasayers any more ammunition against us then there is. Lastly, the three S rule is most important, as most folks don't care that you may be loosing calves etc, they just hear that you are killing wildlife and they get all teary eyed and want to call Peta on you.

Good luck, as I believe that ever coyote you kill may be less one hundred that I have to contend with later on. :cboy:

Coyotes are very intellegent animals. Probably smarter than domestic dogs and they learn very fast. I call coyotes in late winter as a means to let me down easy from deer hunting. Medic is right about the calling. If you ever call a coyote in with say a rabbit call, and you either miss the shot or he sees / smells you, he will never be fooled by the same call again. He may fall for another type such as a yellow headed woodpecker or fawn in distress call. Calling coyotes is more than just going out and turning an electronic caller on and waiting for one to just come running across the pasture. Coyotes will almost always circle down wind of the call to verify by smell that the prey is there and to pin-point it's location. That is why a buddy system works best with one shooter setting up down-wind of the caller to ambush the circling yote. I like to set up with my back against a naturall barrier like a rocky ledge, large creek etc.. This keeps the yote from circling and funnels him in to you hiding spot. Full camo is essential, don't skyline yourself and try to hunt behind a blind or brush screen. Coyotes will pop up out of nowhere. They will use every bit of available cover when coming to a call. Fencelines, ditches, brush, whatever is available so be prepared to see one very close. I have killed yotes in open country out to 400 yards but when I hunt eastern farm country most shots are 100 yards or less. They just 'APPEAR". Evening hunts can be successfull when yotes start out hunting and the call represents an easy meal but I found early mornings to be better as a yote that has not had a successfull nights hunting is very hungry and will come right in.

HOSS":3ti4ty9z said:
I found early mornings to be better

Hoss, that is when I'd do it. You see more of them then. Late evenings, maybe an hour before dark, would be my second choice.

a 22LR will kill one with a head shot.A .223 is better.Coyotes go for the neck,dogs usually try the flank or rear area.Check with your county agent there might be a trapper from the govt in your county

coyotes go for the soft belly side of a cow--the udders, etc.
they don't go for the tuff hide---they go for the meat--to eat.
dogs go for all parts--they do not have hunger driving them--
they go for the kill! they will attack the entire body and hang on.

.22 works ok around here,put him on the run for a half a mile or so.
cow008ag6.jpg

come to Alabama with your 22.
either the 22s or coyotes are different where you are.
Me, and many neighbors would pay you good money if you could bring about 200 of those mongrels to their conclusion---that is in our part of the country.

I have heard that hanging the dead carcass of coyotes from a surounding fence works but dont know from experiance. How you kill animals is either one good shot or numerous quick shots. lots of shots is funner.... :lol2:

Latest posts