Coyote solution ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Richnm

Reaction score
Every night I have had a pack of coyotes come down from the hills and circle my pens. I just had calves. I tried going out with 22-250 but they leave before I can get a shot. Any creative ways to deal with the problem ? Thanks.

Every night I have had a pack of coyotes come down from the hills and circle my pens. I just had calves. I tried going out with 22-250 but they leave before I can get a shot. Any creative ways to deal with the problem ? Thanks.
Get a 22 hornet and stay back 100 yards.
Bang. Flop.

Find a trapper.
But in all honesty, its unlikely they cause many issues. They're usually interested in the placenta and colostrum manure.

I can tell you from experience they take newborns. Have lost at least a dozen calves to them over the years. Kill them all as quick as possible.

I'm in camp with MMagis. They'll eat placenta, colostrum poop, and stillborns, but I never lost a live calf or cow to them, and we've had plenty of them around here, for years. I've seen 'em trot right through the middle of the herd, and the cows barely even give 'em a second look. Strange dogs... not so much.
I used to shoot at every one I saw, killed a few... but plenty of folks have found out the hard way that 'non-threat' coyotes keep 'bad actors' at bay... but if you kill off the non-threats, you could have really predatory ones move in.

I too have seen a couple just trot right thru the pasture. I think they had better things to do.
I'm in camp with MMagis. They'll eat placenta, colostrum poop, and stillborns, but I never lost a live calf or cow to them, and we've had plenty of them around here, for years. I've seen 'em trot right through the middle of the herd, and the cows barely even give 'em a second look. Strange dogs... not so much.
I used to shoot at every one I saw, killed a few... but plenty of folks have found out the hard way that 'non-threat' coyotes keep 'bad actors' at bay... but if you kill off the non-threats, you could have really predatory ones move in.

When we had sheep we used a detonation cannon from time to time .
You hook it to standard propane bottle and set how often you want it to go off . At certain timed intervals it releases a per determined amount of propane used a auto igniter to produce a boom.
They also have electronic remote control calls with remotes .
This allows you to decide your firing line for added safety. Set the call where you want it . Set up a distance away . Hit the remote and wait for them to come to you .

What do I buy and how do I mix it
A dog need only consume a few sticks of xylitol-containing gum or a little bit of peanut butter to elicit signs of toxicity, according to Dr. Saker. Small dogs are more in danger than larger dogs. Symptoms of poisoning—vomiting—may begin as quickly as 30 minutes after consumption and progress to lethargy, loss of appetite, diarrhea, incoordination, collapse, and seizures. In some instances, xylitol may be absorbed more slowly and symptoms may not appear for hours.

https://cvm.ncsu.edu/xylitol/

Example of source: https://www.swansonvitamins.com/now...ge&gclid=CIPR1dr6rvMCFdZegQodd0kLRw&gclsrc=ds

Easy: use gloves, hot dogs, soda straw. Poke center of hotdog out with soda straw. Fill with xylitol. Put part of removed plug in both ends. Or mix with hamburger, canned dog or cat food, chicken bones and scraps. Put in the high traffic areas and away from your dogs.

I'd caution on poisoning dead animals to o get the coyotes. Probably 15-20 years ago a group of neighbors would put antifreeze in a critter, and leave them out for the yotes to find. Well the yotes found them. Some bald eagles also found them. Game and parks investigated and decided to fine the entire group $10,000 or something like that. So it divided out to about $1000 a person.

Don't use poison. You can't take it back if one of your animals eat it and then the loss is even greater. I've tried taking the gun with me when we have coyotes too close LOL but they know........ maybe have a scout situated somewhere where they can see me walk out the door with or without gun. But that is really the only way to get rid of them.
Either get a hunter happy friend to sit out there for a while and wait for the coyotes to come out, or you do it.
I found the coyotes here disappear when I show up with the tractor to feed and come back a while after I go back home. They are not afraid of the tractor or vehicle you use every day at the cows, so you might be able to just sit there in the tractor and wait for them to come back out.

We have used treble hooks packed with hamburger and tied about 3' off ground. Works same as a snare or trap and they are there to shoot when you make your rounds

We have used treble hooks packed with hamburger and tied about 3' off ground. Works same as a snare or trap and they are there to shoot when you make your rounds
I would highly discourage this also. I know people who have done it and had some issues.
I can only imagine what kind of mess this would get me into if one of my neighbors $5000 coon dogs was found hanging from a treble hook in his mouth. I'd say you would have a lot of lawyer fees if nothing else.

Latest posts