Priefert SO4 Placement- Ancient Solution

Help Support CattleToday:

inyati13

Reaction score
I was able to drag the old chute out. But access to place the new one was a problem. I cannot get the tractor into the area where the chute needs to be placed due to structures that have been added since the old chute was positioned. So I pretended to be an ancient Egyptian today. The pictures tell the story.
jsbq0w.jpg

2uz9ch4.jpg

2zejvr6.jpg

2qjj02d.jpg

1zlvj2c.jpg

2nuj3uh.jpg

2iho1gl.jpg

1552913.jpg

211mmte.jpg

tom4018":287sgc4c said:
I pick mine up from the front with straps, don't need access to the side.

Tom, there is an advantage to using the set-up you see. The platform for the pipe rollers was conveyor belt. When I had the chute on the pipe rollers, I could move it by hand in any direction including side to side to line it up. When I got it up to the palp cage, it was within a fraction of an inch where I wanted it. I nudged it around until it was in perfect placement with just the weight of my body. Then I picked up the back of the chute with the loader and pulled out the rollers. I left a piece of the conveyor under the chute to bed it. I have this chute almost perfectly level. I dropped down a couple of loader buckets of small gravel before placing the conveyor belt and leveled that with a 2x4 much like you lay concrete. It should not settle on the conveyor belt. It also allowed me to pretend to be Charlton Heston building the pyramids. :D

Don't you miss the great days of movies with guys like him, Gregory Peck, Jimmie Stewart, Laurence Olivier, Henry Fonda, etc.

inyati13":14z1ztc5 said:
dun":14z1ztc5 said:
I just wish we had that much flat ground around here

dun, believe me, it is in very rare supply in my area! But those steep hills give the place character.
We have one small area where the sweep and chute are that is that flat. But I hauled in the material from an old dam and used it to fill. It was origianlly a 4 foot drop slope every 10 feet , took a lot of dump truck loads.

ALACOWMAN":1p7rhocg said:
TennesseeTuxedo":1p7rhocg said:
Very clever solution to a difficult situation.
you can't keep a hillbilly down....

No, but you can't get 'em to stand up straight either without one knee bent a little and when they encounter a sidewalk, they saunter along with one foot swinging out in a wide arc as they walk--otherwise they'd just go 'round in circles. Comes from spending their whole lives on the side of a slope and one leg grows longer than the other. :lol2: :lol2: :hide:

Ron--why didn't ya just pick it up from the front end and drive right in with it?
Good job tho if you do't have a tractor with a FEL.

greybeard":1ul85ffx said:
ALACOWMAN":1ul85ffx said:
TennesseeTuxedo":1ul85ffx said:
Very clever solution to a difficult situation.
you can't keep a hillbilly down....

No, but you can't get 'em to stand up straight either without one knee bent a little and when they encounter a sidewalk, they saunter along with one foot swinging out in a wide arc as they walk--otherwise they'd just go 'round in circles. Comes from spending their whole lives on the side of a slope and one leg grows longer than the other. :lol2: :lol2: :hide:
my brothers wife lived in the hills when they met... he said having supper with them the first time, his creamed corn ran off one side of the plate ... :cowboy:

greybeard":23ecx37u said:
Ron--why didn't ya just pick it up from the front end and drive right in with it?
Good job tho if you do't have a tractor with a FEL.
GB, I used the loader on my tractor to lift it and then pull the truck out from under it. I used a tow strap with hooks on each end to lift it. I carried it from where I unloaded it from my truck to the open end of the handling facility crosswise in front of the tractor. I did not want to lift it from the end with the front end loader because doing it alone without someone to steady it, I was afraid it would swing around or bang the front of the tractor. I decided to use the safe approach and reduce the risk of damage. I was putting down the conveyor belt anyway to bed the chute on. It was just a matter of using two inch mild steel pipe as rollers. I was surprised at how easy it was to move on the pipe. I adjusted it from side to side several times as I approached the palp cage. Like I told Tom, gave me a chance to pretend to be Charleton Heston in Moses moving the big stones on rollers.

Latest posts