Coyote Deterrent?

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.

TR

Reaction score
Does anyone have any good ideas on deterring coyotes from coming up to the house at night? We seem to be feeding the local population with our chickens at night, and even with hubby sitting up all night waiting to get a shot off at one, we seem to keep missing them, or they're just wylie enough to know when we're up waiting for them.....

Learn to trap TR, snares work well most places you catch one or two they will avoid you. Remind me when you come to pick up your heifers and I will show you how to set a snare.

We had a problem with them getting in the barn and getting goats. We left the lights on and they wouln't come up. Didn't lose anymore goats.

Our dogs run coyotes very well, as well as the unwanted neighbor dogs. We don't free range our chicken because our dogs would beat the coyotes to the chickens. I've also seen coyote skins hanging from fences, but don't know if that really works... do you think they know that it's Bud's hide on the fence?

Alan

Campground Cattle":1azz1gfi said:
Learn to trap TR, snares work well most places you catch one or two they will avoid you. Remind me when you come to pick up your heifers and I will show you how to set a snare.

Campground's right. Snares are the way to go, besides shooting them when you see them. Per an earlier thread I've been meaning to get around to it and my son and I set a few this morning. Remember a couple of ethical rules… check your snares and/or traps every day and don't set them where dogs will get in them. There are a few tricks that Campground will show you and after that it just takes practice and patience. Sure is fun when you come up on a coyote in a snare. Most gratifying. As far as around the house, a couple of halfway aggressive dogs will do the trick. You'll still hear them but not any closer than a quarter mile.

Craig-TX

Craig-TX":27rlnkoo said:
Campground Cattle":27rlnkoo said:

Campground's right. Snares are the way to go, besides shooting them when you see them. Per an earlier thread I've been meaning to get around to it and my son and I set a few this morning. Remember a couple of ethical rules… check your snares and/or traps every day and don't set them where dogs will get in them. There are a few tricks that Campground will show you and after that it just takes practice and patience. Sure is fun when you come up on a coyote in a snare. Most gratifying. As far as around the house, a couple of halfway aggressive dogs will do the trick. You'll still hear them but not any closer than a quarter mile.

Craig-TX

The coyotes are getting thick around our place. Found a dead heifer calf (300+ lbs) last Friday. Calf was healthy a couple of days earlier and had been vaccinated (bangs, blackleg, etc.) Calf was ate from rear forward, and I didn't see ant bullet holes in what was remaining. My guess is coyotes or wild dog, but not completely sure. What's hard for me to believe, is that it was a longhorn calf.

On the subject of snares, where can you get them? I haven't messed with them before, but would like to put some out.

TXBobcat":2ejyrfqt said:
Craig-TX":2ejyrfqt said:
Campground Cattle":2ejyrfqt said:

Craig-TX

The coyotes are getting thick around our place. Found a dead heifer calf (300+ lbs) last Friday. Calf was healthy a couple of days earlier and had been vaccinated (bangs, blackleg, etc.) Calf was ate from rear forward, and I didn't see ant bullet holes in what was remaining. My guess is coyotes or wild dog, but not completely sure. What's hard for me to believe, is that it was a longhorn calf.

On the subject of snares, where can you get them? I haven't messed with them before, but would like to put some out.

You can probably get them at your local hardware store. The best place to set them is at slides where they are crossing under fences. You'll see where the ground is worn and clean. It's harder to find good slides in areas where regular barb wire fences are prevalent. If you have goat fences or sheep/hog wire fences then they can't just slide anywhere and it's easy to find heavily used locations. That's when you can really clean up with snares.

Craig-TX

Seems like good dogs would be the simplest and best solution. Fortunately I haven't seen too many yotes in our neck of the woods, but they are quickly becoming a problem as I've heard from other cattlemen and deer hunters.

The places that they crawl under fences work well but lacking that paths, trails, and even two rut roads will work for location. Really any place the coyotes travel through. Set the snare so it has a 10 inch loop with the bottom of the loop 10 inches above the ground. I like a place where there is a clump of grass or a small bush on the edge of the trail. That helps to conceal the snare. It can be as little as a few old stems of grass.
One way that has worked real well for me is to find a small clearing (half acre) in a brushy or wooded area. Set a snare on every little path leading into the opening. Put a large bait in the middle of the clearing where it is clearly visible from the sky. Something about the size of a dead elephant works well here. When the crows and other birds find the bait they will make a bunch of noise that will help attract the coyotes. It is amazing how many of the coyotes will get past the snares on their way to the bait but after they have their bellies full they walk right into them. I guess it would be like trying to catch me on my way to the dinner table. I might be tough to catch but if you set one between the table and the couch you would probably get me every time.
Dave

Bobcat.. that's too bad about the calf. We haven't had a yote problem here for a long time, but we try to keep them "thinned out", especially during the winter.

You can get the snares at Rice's Feed Store.. it's on Hwy. 6 just south of Riesel.

You might check to see if your county or state has a trapper. Iwas having a devil of a time a couple of years ago. Shot six in 3 days, anyway our county trapper set snares, and poison. The cynaide really did the trick, and he stops by every few months to see how things are going.

houstoncutter":316aotyi said:
You might check to see if your county or state has a trapper. Iwas having a devil of a time a couple of years ago. Shot six in 3 days, anyway our county trapper set snares, and poison. The cynaide really did the trick, and he stops by every few months to see how things are going.

You ought to be able to get a nusiance permit too. Ours work with the week of deer gun season. If it looks like a yote, feed it a lead bolus.

Mo has an actual coyote season. But on our place it runs from January first through December thirtyfirst.

dun

dun":3g5j5hg8 said:
Mo has an actual coyote season. But on our place it runs from January first through December thirtyfirst.

dun

Texas passed alaw taht if any animal is trying to do harm to your stock you can kill it. If it is for pleasure you have to have a trappers stamp.

Scotty

Scotty":3bal7q8h said:
dun":3bal7q8h said:

dun

Texas passed alaw taht if any animal is trying to do harm to your stock you can kill it. If it is for pleasure you have to have a trappers stamp.

Scotty

An excellent example of why SSS is the best method. But I ignore the middle S.

dun

Scotty":15ims034 said:
dun":15ims034 said:

dun

Scotty

You can kill a coyote in Texas anytime of the year no bag limit, all you have to do is have a hunting license. A coyote is considered a non game animal. You have to have a trapper's license is you take fur bearing animals. ie: raccoon, fox, beaver, etc.

rgv4":39knag3x said:
You can kill a coyote in Texas anytime of the year no bag limit, all you have to do is have a hunting license.

Incorrect. A hunting license is NOT required to hunt coyotes in Texas. Note even for those hundred-pounders.

Craig-TX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts