Coyote Deterrent?

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.
rgv4":32vqtwcm said:
Craig-TX":32vqtwcm said:
rgv4":32vqtwcm said:
You can kill a coyote in Texas anytime of the year no bag limit, all you have to do is have a hunting license.

Incorrect. A hunting license is NOT required to hunt coyotes in Texas. Note even for those hundred-pounders.

Craig-TX

You might want to check you hunting book or the Texas Parks and Wildlife site. http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/publications/annual/hunt/nongame :p

You don't have to have a license read HB 151

http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/tlo/78R/ ... 00151F.HTM

rgv4":2tlgowxa said:
Craig-TX":2tlgowxa said:
rgv4":2tlgowxa said:
You can kill a coyote in Texas anytime of the year no bag limit, all you have to do is have a hunting license.

Incorrect. A hunting license is NOT required to hunt coyotes in Texas. Note even for those hundred-pounders.

Craig-TX

You might want to check you hunting book or the Texas Parks and Wildlife site. http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/publications/annual/hunt/nongame :p

Well, hotshot, here we go again. I did go look. Now you go look again and find where it says you have to have a license to hunt coyotes. Pack yourself a lunch because it's going to take you a while. It ain't there. You need to call TPWD up and tell them to fix that.

Also, while on the site I noticed that they have it all wrong about coyotes in general. They state at http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/nature/wild ... ls/coyote/ that "The coyote is very similar in size to a small German Shepherd and weighs an average of 25 to 40 pounds." While you've got them on the phone why don't you straighten them out on that too.

And while you're at it get them to send you the 2004-2005 TP&W Outdoor Annual Hunting and Fishing Regulations. You'll find on page 51 that "A hunting license is not required to hunt the following: Coyotes, if the coyotes are attacking, about to attack, or have recently attacked livestock, domestic animals, or fowl." In the real world that means any coyote – unless your hundred-pounders are vegetarians.

Craig-TX

If you will go back and read Scotty's post he stated that if you hunt coyotes for pleasure you have to have a trapper's stamp. That is what I was referring to. Use the link that I have in my post and you will read under nongame animals:

No closed season. These animals may be hunted at any time by any lawful means or methods on private property. Public hunting lands may have restrictions. A hunting license is required.

Everyone that lives in Texas and owns livestock knows that you can kill dogs or coyotes that are attacking you livestock or if you or someone else sees them do it you can kill them. If they are in the area of your livestock and they have been known to attack livestock you can kill them.

Read all the post, not just the last one that was posted!

Nice try at a diversion but I was responding to your post, not Scotty's. And you're still wrong. The quote you are using clearly addresses hunting on public lands. That's not what we've been talking about. We've been talking about shooting coyotes on your own place. Changing the terms of the discussion doesn't make you right or win the argument. Yes, everyone in Texas (including you now) does know that you can kill coyotes on sight.

rgv4, you're obviously not going to stand corrected. Let's drop it and move on.

Craig-TX

rgv4":5ceza7wm said:
Scotty":5ceza7wm said:
dun":5ceza7wm said:
Mo has an actual coyote season. But on our place it runs from January first through December thirtyfirst.

dun

Texas passed alaw taht if any animal is trying to do harm to your stock you can kill it. If it is for pleasure you have to have a trappers stamp.

Scotty

You can kill a coyote in Texas anytime of the year no bag limit, all you have to do is have a hunting license. A coyote is considered a non game animal. You have to have a trapper's license is you take fur bearing animals. ie: raccoon, fox, beaver, etc.

You picked the wrong day to nit pick at me:

This was my original post on this subject. Scotty states that if you are killing it for pleasure you have to have a trapper's stamp.

If you hunt coyote in Texas just for the pleasure of it you have to have a hunting license according to Texas Parks and Wildlife. "A hunting license is required of any person, regardless of age, who hunts any animal or bird in this state except alligators (an alligator license is required) and furbearers (if the hunter posseses a trapper's license). No license is needed for nuisance fur-bearing animals. Coyotes are considered non game.

This information is all listed under General Information about Licenses, Stamp Endorsements and Tags in the 2004-2005 Outdoor Annual-Hunting and Fishing Regulations.

And no that quote does not address hunting on public lands. As you can see there is a period in between the two sentences.

I meant to let this thing go but it looks like you're determined to keep digging yourself deeper. Read your own words! "No license is needed for nuisance fur-bearing animals." How much simpler does it need to be for you? I'll type it again to make sure you don't miss it. "No license is needed for nuisance fur-bearing animals." Is it sinking in yet?

Craig-TX

Craig-TX":2kq87rv9 said:
I meant to let this thing go but it looks like you're determined to keep digging yourself deeper. Read your own words! "No license is needed for nuisance fur-bearing animals." How much simpler does it need to be for you? I'll type it again to make sure you don't miss it. "No license is needed for nuisance fur-bearing animals." Is it sinking in yet?

Craig-TX

According to tpwd a coyote is not a fur bearing animal it is a non game animal.

Fur-bearing animals: Badger, Beaver, Civet Cat, fox, mink, muskrat, nutria, opposum, otter, raccoon, ring-tailed cat, skunk.

Non game animals: armadillos, bobcats, coyotes, flying squirrels, frogs, ground squirrels, mountain lions, porcupines, prairie dogs, rabbits, turtles

I'm not digging myself deeper, I'm stating the facts.

As I said before, if you are hunting coyotes for pleasure you have to have a hunting license.

If you are protecting your livestock from attack, then you don't need a license.

As stated before, you picked the wrong day to contradict me and try to start something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts