Coyote and me

Help Support CattleToday:

tncattle

Reaction score
Walking back from the woods (jungle) today where the tractor is stuck from trying to cut some paths out to feed my runaway steers. I was walking on this soft mud path quietly and walked up on a large coyote about 20 feet away. I saw him first and when he saw me he turned quickly and stared at me for a couple seconds and then ran away really fast. But I was mad at myself for not having my 40 cal. handgun, I did have a big Husqvarna chainsaw that I was using to cut two big fallen trees that the tractor is stuck on so I guess that would have scared him pretty well if I had started it. I'm not a coyote expert but that sucker looked to be 50-60 lbs.--isn't that kind of big for a coyote? I think I'll be carrying from now on. I don't have a holster--what is something I could carry the 40 cal. in that would not be to big or a nuisance?

I understand how you felt. This spring my son's dogs were holed up in a sinkhole and he ran back to my office to get a loaded 22 Marlin that we keep behind the desk, went back to the sinkhole and as he was shooting the coyote it came towards him when he ran out of ammo (it was down to 4 shots). It dropped about 6' in front of him and it weighed 28 lbs. but he said it was 50-60 before we weighted it.
It seems that you never need a gun till you don't have one. I have a concealed carry permit but have never carried though I did a service call a couple of months ago for a man who teaches a class at the University of Louisville in anti-terrorism and he carried 3 and it appeared that the one he had on his lower leg slid into his boot would be the least bothersome. I believe that one was a Kel-Tec in 9mm with about a 3" barrel. Also this man was skilled in knife throwing and he could nail a quarter size target at 20' every time. As for me I carry an old Essex shotgun which is a single shot in 12 guage in the cab or on my hay tractor. With BB shot it will usually take care of what I have the most problem with, wild dogs.

got a new blip that in a local neighboring county game and inland fishieries trapped a 70 pounder recently and that they found a den and in the den were 16 dog collars.

that is why my aussies are house dogs. they don't go out without us.

I have a carry pouch on a military web belt. totally concealed and covered. looks like a fanny pack. can be rigged many ways. it will handle either my Judge or my ruger P89 9mm.

http://www.thewilderness.com/storepinnacle/index.php?p=catalog&parent=171&pg=1

for my large frame revolvers I have a flap holster and carry it on my hip.

Caustic Burno":2vz54u2w said:
Y'all have been watching to many movies, coyotes are cowards unless cornered so is a house mouse.

They might be cowards but I have watched them tole a dog out in a field and attack him when they got him out there.

3way-the exact reason any dog needs a foolproof recall..I had a coyote try to do this to my dogs twice..they lure the dog away from their house where their "pack" is waiting and then ambush the dog...my dog's recall is very good and I was able to call her off while the bastard coyote slinked off.

Ran them for years inside a 100 acre pen, man calved his heifers in. He never lost a calf to one. He trapped some big mean dog yotes over the years one slip up and two walkers would have him trapping a replacement.
Now they can whip a good Walker hound two of them, they never even thought about a fight one on one.
We also used to run them on a 6,000 acre lease never seen them fight unless the odds were in there favor, like I said they are cowards. But most people you can run them to death after dark in the woods with a duck call and flashlight.

i had a big catahula cur that would let them lure him out in the pasture to fight . He would kill one or two before they quit and run off. The first time I saw him do it I ran in the house to get my rifle because I knew what they were doing and he wouldn't come when I called him . By the time I got back to the fence and got my scope on them he had killed one and had the other by the head . But he weighed 110 lbs . I used to bow hunt south of san Antonio . They use grey hounds there to catch cayotes . I didn't believe the guy until he brought 13 to the camp after one night .

Caustic Burno":1x65fy0c said:
Ran them for years inside a 100 acre pen, man calved his heifers in. He never lost a calf to one. He trapped some big mean dog yotes over the years one slip up and two walkers would have him trapping a replacement.
Now they can whip a good Walker hound two of them, they never even thought about a fight one on one.
We also used to run them on a 6,000 acre lease never seen them fight unless the odds were in there favor, like I said they are cowards. But most people you can run them to death after dark in the woods with a duck call and flashlight.
its funny how spooky people are . There's nothing out there that will get you in the dark that wouldn't get you in the day time ..I get a kick out of the guys in deer camp that are scared of bobcats, pigs etc.... I know a guy that shot a bobcat 3 times because he thought it was gonna get him .

JSCATTLE":122ar59z said:
Caustic Burno":122ar59z said:
its funny how spooky people are . There's nothing out there that will get you in the dark that wouldn't get you in the day time ..I get a kick out of the guys in deer camp that are scared of bobcats, pigs etc.... I know a guy that shot a bobcat 3 times because he thought it was gonna get him .

These deer hunters up here fron Houston everyone of them see's a black panther I fall out when I hear it. First they don't exsist kinda like them talkin M&M's. Second every one of them can hit a possum at 200 yards and can't get a shot or a picture and they are behind every other tree. Now they have their camo on to climb up a boxstand they drove an ATV under cause they are scared of the dark. Best yet they have a 2000 dollar rifle and 1000 dollar scope they shoot maybe a box of shells a year through and a 5 dollar pocket knife.

It seems to me like they're kind of filling in where wolves left off. In the open land south of me towards Bakersfeild they're starting to run in groups and they will go after a sick steer. I've had them try to draw off a dog in the past down there as well to the point where I got a little concerned about having eight coyotes circling me. Here where I'm at there's enough small game to support single coyotes and they're smaller than the ones down south and I've never seen them in groups.

Latest posts