Coyote

Help Support CattleToday:

kerley

Reaction score
At three this morning our little Jack Russell woke up my wife. He started growling and headed for the front door. We knew something was up and turned on the outside lights. YOTES killing chickens, when the lights came on they took off. I do not know what the loss was as it is still dark, but I know they will return. I can not start shooting as I might hit a cow. What do the rest of you do to control Yote losses and not risk loss of livestock. All advice welcomed. Tom

We have had coyote around here for several years. I don't think I have lost any calves. There is a lot of white tail deer and my guess is that they take a lot of their young. I have given permission to some people to hunt coyote on my property but I don't know if they have had any luck. Seems like the only time I see one is when I don't have a gun.
Fred

I have a great pyreness gaurd dog and a donkey,preditors don't bother much around here.Chickens and guineas roost high up in the barn rafters out of harms way.Dog will scare coons off before they get in barn usually.

We have coyotes here. Can hear them pretty much every night. Have ridden up on them in the field across the road as well. They have never come anywhere near my chickens or anything else. My bloodhound does a great job of keeping wild critters at bay!

My wife found five dead chickens in our yard, and one missing. Sunday afternoon my daughter saw the coyote in our front pasture, he was standing there watching the chickens. I went outside with my rifle but we have livestock and I could not get a clean shot. We continued to watch and he moved to the higher grass area. Last night Kathy made sure all her chickens were in the chicken house. Our little dog woke Kathy up again at four this morning. She went out to investigate the chickens noises. If the yote was there he could not get in. I know he will be back and I will sooner or later kill him, Hopefully sooner. Tom :cboy:

I hear them, mostly on winter nights. I have seen a couple in daylight near the road. I think the donks keep them away. I have more issues with skunks and snakes where chickens are concerned. And feral dogs. I think I hate a feral dog way more than a coyote. At least a yote will kill to eat. Feral dogs kill to kill about half the time.

My past experience with coyotes is they grab the chicken and run. In our attack Sunday four am, we herd the commotion and Kathy saw the coyote in the yard next to the fence, with dead chickens left behind. Sounds more like dogs to me. Sunday pm we saw one stalking coyote. Tom :cboy:

We have a Great Pyrenees with our cattle. Watched her chase a coyote down one day, run completely over it, whirl around and bite it thru it's backbone. Almost instant death....needless to say, they don't even come across the property anymore.

We have yotes get chickens almost every year. Evidence is tracks and lots of feathers where the yote grabs the chicken, then a scattering of feathers where he runs off with it. The coyotes get the chickens early mornings as they come down from the rafters [my chickens roost as high as possible] The yotes learn the chickens com,e down to feed early. I have plenty of barnyard chickens so I can spare some.
We don't live at the farm, but after a few yote appearances I will sit off hidden with a good view down wind. With the 270, yup! I always win. Killed many a yote in my day and its kinda sporty.

I agree with kerley, yote are a grab a chicken and get out of there. Never seen a yote drop a chicken. Except for when it has a problem with his guts being blown out. :cowboy:

kerley":319pldw7 said:
My past experience with coyotes is they grab the chicken and run. In our attack Sunday four am, we herd the commotion and Kathy saw the coyote in the yard next to the fence, with dead chickens left behind. Sounds more like dogs to me. Sunday pm we saw one stalking coyote. Tom :cboy:

Yes, feral dogs will leave a kill. I had one kill a lamb once and just eat out the guts and leave the rest. We had some get the chickens one afternoon when the house was for sale. Real estate agent called and said that there was panic in the barnyard. We were both at work. I tried to get her to get the shotgun after them, as it was loaded and by the door, but she refused to do it. I guess it might be a little unprofessional looking... :D

Lammie":1kp1lx5g said:
kerley":1kp1lx5g said:

Yes, feral dogs will leave a kill. I had one kill a lamb once and just eat out the guts and leave the rest. We had some get the chickens one afternoon when the house was for sale. Real estate agent called and said that there was panic in the barnyard. We were both at work. I tried to get her to get the shotgun after them, as it was loaded and by the door, but she refused to do it. I guess it might be a little unprofessional looking... :D

It would depend on the prospective buyer whether this was a good move or not. Some would be impressed, and itchin' to buy a place where they could shoot at things from a Realtor with firearm skills. Others would be trying to crawl under the Realtor's Escallade.

Coyotes eat a lot of mice and rats. We have way too many turkeys and they probably get a lot of them. I have seen yotes with squirrel in their mouths. They never bother our cows so we let them be.

If I were looking to rid them, I'd put in the coyote serenade CD and locate the nearest pack, setting in one of the empty pastures. I would then set up my cover and put in either the distressed fawn CD or else the cotton tail or jack rabbit call. It would be best to do it in the early a.m. or late p.m. with the light of day. It can be done at night but someone is going to need to spot light them in a red beam and those red eyes could yield you plugging fox, coon etc.

Last month I was brush hogging and the yotes and hawks were all around eating the mice/rats when I got down to the short rows.

backhoeboogie":20gkwoyr said:
Coyotes eat a lot of mice and rats. We have way too many turkeys and they probably get a lot of them. I have seen yotes with squirrel in their mouths. They never bother our cows so we let them be.

If I were looking to rid them, I'd put in the coyote serenade CD and locate the nearest pack, setting in one of the empty pastures. I would then set up my cover and put in either the distressed fawn CD or else the cotton tail or jack rabbit call. It would be best to do it in the early a.m. or late p.m. with the light of day. It can be done at night but someone is going to need to spot light them in a red beam and those red eyes could yield you plugging fox, coon etc.

Last month I was brush hogging and the yotes and hawks were all around eating the mice/rats when I got down to the short rows.

We had a few youngsters following the tractor and getting the mice/rats and rabbits the rake was stirring up. I hate vermin, more then I can portray..they are disgusting, dirty, gross animals. Id take a yote over vermin anyday.

Only had one issue with coyotes, my son;s pygmy billy chewed through his tie line and wandered off into the 40 acres next door. Yotes got him. They dont bother my horses, even the foals and they dont bother my pygmy nannies either. I dont like to shoot animals until they become a real problem. Watched my heifer chase a stray dog out of her pasture the other day, once the poor guy got out, he beelined up the fenceline and Jam was right there, on the other side of the fence, ready to get him should he come back in her pasture..so Im confident even if the coyotes try something funny with her, she can handle herself.

Neighbors have bigger problems with wild dogs then coyotes.

One good way we have found to get rid of problem coyotes is to set our fence line with snares.That way only the coyote which is coming in to kill something gets caught and you can easily dispatch.Some argue that there are good coyotes which only eat wild game and vermin.We have lost lambs to them and then this year there are plenty around but have had no losses.

I am not hell bent on killing any of Gods creatures. I know they kill when hungry. It wont break me to occasionally loose a chicken. My concern is first chicken then calve. I wont bother the yote if he does not bother me.Tom :cboy: :cboy:

I have lost 2 lambs to them.....one was dragged over to the electric fence and left half eaten....the other one disappeared completely.....and something got in the coop and took a couple chickens....on another note...last week one of our old ewes went down so my husband shot her...was late in the day so he dragged her off a ways thinking he would bury the carcass in the morning.....there wasn't a trace of her the next morning.....

kerley":3s0iodng said:

This time of year the pups are starting to hunt with the adults and they are not very good at there skill. The adults also get braver trying to hustle up enough for the pups.

Latest posts