coyote problem, suggestions?

Help Support CattleToday:

Dee

Reaction score
In the past week I have seen three coyotes go through my pasture. Large dogs. Also in the tree grove by the house I have heard dogs yelping at night. I called the game warden, who was less than helpful. He wanted to know where they lived, then he would send someone out to trap them. If I knew where they lived, I would've solved the problem myself. Where do I look for their "den"? Do they live in tree groves? Rock piles? Hay stacks? What is the best way to get rid of them? Trap, poison, ?

they mostly live in abandoned animal holes and dens created by fallen trees here, it seems.

They get rid of mice and rats. If you get too many, that could be a problem. I see them practically every day and hear them at night. They have never bothered my cattle.

If I wanted to get rid of them, I'd put my dying jack rabit CD or else my "fawn in distress" CD and call them in. Then I would switch to a cotton tail or else jack rabbit coaxer. Three weeks ago ChiefGriz and I called in several. We hit them with the red spot light lens and watched their eyes glow. It would have been simple to dust them off. I had them in my rifle scope.

My problem is hogs. They destroy the fences and property. I am kind of hoping the coyotes take a liken to piglets.

If I were you I'd leave them be, unless they start wreaking hovac for your animals.

Dee":1qdcupqz said:
In the past week I have seen three coyotes go through my pasture. Large dogs.

There is a big difference between coyotes and 'large dogs', and the problems presented by each are handled differently because dogs are generally easier to shoot than coyotes are.

msscamp":qo3g282n said:
Dee":qo3g282n said:
In the past week I have seen three coyotes go through my pasture. Large dogs.

There is a big difference between coyotes and 'large dogs', and the problems presented by each are handled differently because dogs are generally easier to shoot than coyotes are.

Dogs are males, bitches are females. Bet that didn't get past the filter :D

I saw a huge reddish colored coyote on the neighbor's place back in June.. Broad daylight out, and the doggone thing was running a stressed out doe all over the place. Turns out, it had killed a fawn and was playing keep away with the fawn's mama.. :mad:

All the other coyotes I've seen are brown to gray in color and small, so this one is easily distinguished from the rest.. I couldn't get the rifle in time to pop it, but I'm still keeping an eye out.. If I catch it out again, I'll make a rug out of it.

Betcha that "cyote" was a wolf hybred some nut let out to run wild and take care of itself..

peg4x4":x2a7m8xv said:
Betcha that "cyote" was a wolf hybred some nut let out to run wild and take care of itself..

Maybe a coydog. I've heard of people having a lot of trouble with them around the cities in recent years.Z

if they aren't causing problems I would leave them alone. They do get lots of rodents. Kill them and they will be replaced by another. The next one might be a calf killer.
This is also the time of the year when the pups are finding their own territory. So this might be just young ones passing through looking for a place to live.

Dave":selw8la8 said:
if they aren't causing problems I would leave them alone. They do get lots of rodents. Kill them and they will be replaced by another. The next one might be a calf killer.

You are right. There are complaints about squirrels in another thread. A few coyotes might solve that problem.

Latest posts