Coyote Calls & Hunting

Help Support CattleToday:

dieselbeef":1kv01l5y said:

my new yote tool just got here

You should be happy with the Tikka. I have heard good things about it. It probably would have been what I would have bought except for they're only available in long action. I didn't want a short action round like the 223 in a long action as I had no plans to rebuild to a long action round later, and didn't have a need for the mag length using a 223. I have heard they are one of the best/smoothest stock actions out there though.

it is so smooth just titling the gun one way or the other and the bolt slides back and forth with almost non existent slop in the action..unlike my ruger American I had to shim before I even shot it

Caustic Burno":2zsvo0er said:
dun":2zsvo0er said:
Farm Fence Solutions":2zsvo0er said:
The E calls are great, but their popularity has created more and more educated coyotes. !
I agree that's one of the biggest problems now.
Along with the coyote is smarter than your average critter they are the ultimate survivalist

That's no joke. You don't get a second chance on one very often.

The Bmag claimed it's first victim this morning. He was running in the field right by the house.. Hardly scared of me.

Farm Fence Solutions":kssoa6yl said:
Scent control is more important with coyotes than it is with deer. They almost always circle downwind before they commit. We hunt with a decoy dog or two, and if you've never tried it, then you are in for a treat. The dog eases a coyotes mind enough that they will let down their guard against scent and sight long enough for you to feed them a little lead. We've got a couple Blackmouth Cur dogs and a couple of Catahoula dogs. The E calls are great, but their popularity has created more and more educated coyotes. I use a Foxpro Shockwave, but around here, you have to be pretty creative with it. An E call combined with a few mouth calls and a dog is a lethal combination. They are fun to hunt, but if you've got a coyote problem, foot holds and snares are the only way to go. If you really want a rush, try a spot and stalk hunt. I've tried hundreds of times, and was even successful twice!

Can you elaborate on the on the decoy dog? That's interesting.

Congrats Atimm! Don't even have the sticker off of it yet!

Decoy dog won't fly around here. My wife does not share my confidence in my shooting ability-so her puppy stays home, and mine are too big. :lol2:

(I'm talking staked out here, not a sure enough decoy dog)

I have an electronic yote call.. Not worth squat.. I hear them hollering out there, I give one call, and they all shut up and don't come to look..
It's not like they're all that shy either... I mean there are tracks in the front yard of the house and 10 feet from the shop door

ll
Brute 23":3ifzucb3 said:
Farm Fence Solutions":3ifzucb3 said:
Scent control is more important with coyotes than it is with deer. They almost always circle downwind before they commit. We hunt with a decoy dog or two, and if you've never tried it, then you are in for a treat. The dog eases a coyotes mind enough that they will let down their guard against scent and sight long enough for you to feed them a little lead. We've got a couple Blackmouth Cur dogs and a couple of Catahoula dogs. The E calls are great, but their popularity has created more and more educated coyotes. I use a Foxpro Shockwave, but around here, you have to be pretty creative with it. An E call combined with a few mouth calls and a dog is a lethal combination. They are fun to hunt, but if you've got a coyote problem, foot holds and snares are the only way to go. If you really want a rush, try a spot and stalk hunt. I've tried hundreds of times, and was even successful twice!

Can you elaborate on the on the decoy dog? That's interesting.

There are some good videos on youtube of decoy dogs, but I'll do my best to explain. Just having a dog hanging out with you will put yotes at ease....even the old salty yotes. A good decoy dog will fight when a yote wants, play when they want, pretend to be interested in a date when they want, all while easing them closer to death. We(she belongs to a buddy of mine) have an old Cattahoula bitch that is spayed, and she plays them like a violin. She will even go find coyotes and bring them in. We've waited over an hour on her to come back, and sure enough she had one in tow. A decoy dog lets you get away with quite a bit more as well. Wind doesn't matter as much, and you can get away with a little movement.
Here are some pics of the Turbo, the Catahoula I mentioned.

It is definitely easier to start a pup with an experienced dog, but it's just like starting a dog on anything. Just start taking your dog and wing it. It's a good idea to start with one that's not gun shy. lol You can put a light drag on a coyote that you've trapped, and let your pups play a little.....or so I've heard. The dog I'm hunting now took a while to come in to her own, but I still killed a few old yotes when she'd just jack around and not get 5' from me.

Thanks, I've been watching video all over the enet the past couple days.

The coyote population is on the rise here. Most days around 10am I see a coyote crossing some where. They are healthy too.

I have a couple pups coming that I was going to use as bay dogs but I may give this a shot also.

Brute 23":37boa9d0 said:
Thanks, I've been watching video all over the enet the past couple days.

The coyote population is on the rise here. Most days around 10am I see a coyote crossing some where. They are healthy too.

I have a couple pups coming that I was going to use as bay dogs but I may give this a shot also.

We ran them with Walker hounds for years. Coyote can cover a lot of ground before he decides to fight or go to ground.

Latest posts