Cows with blocked nasal passages?

Help Support CattleToday:

kickinbull

Reaction score
Have two cows that have problems breathing through nose. One is worse and has tongue hanging out when it's high temp and humidity. She also had something burst inside one nostril and it bled for short time. Has anyone seen this before?

We see that here but it's from allergies and fescue I think. I have seen them get so bad that they push a stick up the nasal passage and it breaks off. Got 1 up and pulled out a 9" stick last year.
I had 2 Saturday with tongues out.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":2urx3w3l said:
I agree with Kenny - but, are you saying just two cows are stressed out a lot more than the rest? Possibly, they have lung damage from a previous respiratory illness.
It's in the nostrils, lungs are clear.

kenny thomas":npt4e832 said:
We see that here but it's from allergies and fescue I think. I have seen them get so bad that they push a stick up the nasal passage and it breaks off. Got 1 up and pulled out a 9" stick last year.
I wondered about the fescue. The one that's the worst try's to rub the side that's bothering.

I have a couple with the heavy breathing (sounds like Darth Vader), tongue doesn't stick out, no previous illness and agree with allergies because they also get watery eyes and it's worse when it's windy. Comes & goes. And I do have one that periodically gets a bloody nostril. Looks like a mole, about 1" inside. Most likely scratches it on something, it bleeds a little, heals.

kenny thomas":hdnb8e83 said:
I just watched the one thats worse, shove a live twig thats rooted, up her nostril and blow her nose. Seem to get relief.

don't know if this could be a cause or not but I saw a deer that was killed last deer season that had his whole nasal passage full of worms looked kind of like a big maggots , the deer was poor and his lungs were spotted and looked bad. ??????????? just and idea ??????????

BRYANT":1semud5q said:
don't know if this could be a cause or not but I saw a deer that was killed last deer season that had his whole nasal passage full of worms looked kind of like a big maggots , the deer was poor and his lungs were spotted and looked bad. ??????????? just and idea ??????????

The parasites in the nasal cavity you observed are nasal bots. In an undergraduate Parasitology class my project was collecting bots from a horse. There are nasal bots, stomach bots and intestinal bots. For reference, the ones you observed are likely as follows:

Oestrus ovis, the sheep bot fly, is a widespread species of fly of the genus Oestrus. It is known for its parasitic predation and damage to sheep, deer, goats and sometimes cattle.

Bright Raven":28qy3sbo said:
BRYANT":28qy3sbo said:

The parasites in the nasal cavity you observed are nasal bots. In an undergraduate Parasitology class my project was collecting bots from a horse. There are nasal bots, stomach bots and intestinal bots. For reference, the ones you observed are likely as follows:

Oestrus ovis, the sheep bot fly, is a widespread species of fly of the genus Oestrus. It is known for its parasitic predation and damage to sheep, deer, goats and sometimes cattle.
so are they, deer,safe to eat ? I was cutting this deer up for a man and he had left the lungs in I pulled them out and told him they looked bad and that I had seen cow rejected with lungs that looked like that, deer was VERY POOR compared to others, found worms when I cut the rack off for the man.

back to the subject then could this be the problem with these cows ??

BRYANT":cp2vg8z8 said:
Bright Raven":cp2vg8z8 said:
BRYANT":cp2vg8z8 said:

so are they, deer,safe to eat ? I was cutting this deer up for a man and he had left the lungs in I pulled them out and told him they looked bad and that I had seen cow rejected with lungs that looked like that, deer was VERY POOR compared to others, found worms when I cut the rack off for the man.

back to the subject then could this be the problem with these cows ??

Completely safe to eat.

Yes. It is possible. If the cow was not treated with a parasiticide. However, more likely related to allergies or heat stress due to temperature or endophyte toxicity.

Latest posts