Cows -vs- Steers

Help Support CattleToday:

TexasShooter

Reaction score
I run approx 20 cows in my herd and would like to increase that number to 30. My neighbor told me the other day he would stay at 20 momma cows and buy from the sale barn 10+ steers and run them on the pasture during the spring/summer/fall months. He says I would come out better not feeding over the winter months.

I have approx. 70 acres of pasture with 40 acres being prime costal. The other 30 acres is native grasses and weeds. I purchase my hay, plant rye on 25 acres, and feed cubes 1-2 times a week during the winter months.

Our discussion was cut short, so I wasn't able to get the details of what he was advising – i.e. what age of steers would I buy, etc. My questions are…
· Do any of you raise steers to make a little $$ and is it worth it for the 10+ I would buy?
· Do I buy them as calves pre-weaned or weaned? Obviously weaned steers would be easier to find.
· What age to sell? 12 mo.??

I know it's hard to read someone else's mind but I figured there are probably a few of you out there that do just exactly what he's talking about. Personally, I would like to like to buy about 10 more cows, however I would like to examine his point to see if it is a better plan.

Of course for the one's that disagree with his statement, please post a reply…I would like to hear your response.

Thanks,

personally i think if you have the money its best to buy the cows. b/c steers are tricky to deal with . such as getting sick.may not be weaned. cows make more moneyif you buy pairs you have the calves to sale. scott

If your pasture will support it, I'd go with the cows. Seems like 30 cows on 70 acres in your area will certainly max out feed capability and in may be overstocked in dry years. But, I'm not familiar with your pasture. Your 40 acres of prime coastal, may solve your problem. I wouldn't go with steers, if the pasture won't handle 30 cows, then maybe only add 5 more. JMO

I vote for steers. No winter feed and if the pasture comes up short you can sell them. In a few past years we ran steers to take up the spring flush then sold them and kept rotating the cows. Now we just lease out some of the pasture to a neighbor during the flush.
We bought 5 & 6 weights, held them about 60 days and shipped them.

dun

I buy 300 -400 pounders, some are heifers. These are riskier than cows as you stand to not make as much as expected. The tricky part is to purchase the ones with the biggest potential for growth. If you have any exceptional ones you can alway keep the heifers to add to the cows later.

Unless you Have a really good vaccination program with your homegrown calves, for respiratory diseases, I wouldn't suggest
buying salebarn calves and introducing them to the same pasture as your broodcows. I wouldn't suggest it anyway under any circumstances really. I wouldn't even want them in the pasture next to them. Recipe for disaster, in my opinion.
I can't imagine the calves doing very well in with a bunch of strange cows, knocking them out of the trough and all.
You are dealing with two totally different business ventures here. They don't work good together. Buy you a couple of young cows to add to your existing set. As always this is just one persons opinion though.

I do this all the time. I am constantly buying calves from the sale barn. I keep them up for a day or to in recieving pens. From there they go into the chute for all the normal meds and dewormers. After leaving that they go into a small lot away from the rest of the herd for about 2 weeks. Then if no problems they join the rest of the herd. That herd is constantly getting new replacements for the ones that are leaving. I buy anything I can make a buck or two own. I like 3-4 weights but if I can make something out of a 150 pounder I wont hesitate to buy it. My herd is constantly changing. I ain't never had a problem with any bad bugs picked up from salebarn calves. The calves barely get a chance to know each other before one of em is shipped. So far none have send back postcards so I ain't sure where they go. All I know is they take the grass I grew for them with them and leave me some cash in return.

A wise old cattlemen that lived in your area told me about 15 years ago to stock for a dry year and if you have extra grass buy steers to turn out with your cows. Of course he owned a sale barn and was used to buying cattle out of a sale and knew how to treat in coming cattle. There are people in your area that do this. The veterianarian at Mabank has a good health protocol for handling stocker calves. He passed this out in a presentation at the cow-calf clinic held in Van Zandt county. You might want to contact the Extension agent in Van Zandt or Kaufman county for that health guide that was passed out. It was for cow herds and stocker calves.

Here is another suggestion.In the 1st of Jan.buy 5 or 6 thin short-soild 8 mo.bred cows that will calve in the end of Feb. first of March.Worm them good, and sell the pairs at the end Sept.

Or try the 10 hd.steer deal it will also work.Buy 4 and 5 weight steers middle of Feb. run them till 1st of Aug. Avg wt. gain should be about 300 lbs selling 7 and 8 wt. steers.

Or 10 heifers in the same example as above.If the prices fall turn a bull in with them 1st of Sept.That will give you the ten extra cows that you wanted in the first place.You wont know till you try.Good luck with what ever you decide to do.

Some friends of mine buy from that supirior livestock auction because they don't get diseases going through the sale barn. I would try to find reputable cattle man in your area and try to buy them off of him. That way you wouln't have to but the sicknesses that come with the cattle that you buy at the sale barn.

Latest posts