cows utter

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

i bought a 4 yr old holstein cow at the auction last week.i didnt notice one of her teats was drawed up inside her bag. what is wrong with her? also she has milk dripping out of another teat.is it fixable? thanks

[email protected]

A lot of dairy herds have three teaters, one quarter just doesn't develop, or she may have had severe mastitis in that quarter and the quarter just quit functioning. Heavy milking coes frequently leak from one or more teats as it approaches milking time, as the udder fills there is so much pressure that it will leak, frequently in a pretty sizable and steady stream. If it leaks all the time the teat may have been injured or damaged. Short of putting a on and off teat dilator in it there probably isn't a fix

dunmovin farms

> i bought a 4 yr old holstein cow
> at the auction last week.i didnt
> notice one of her teats was drawed
> up inside her bag. what is wrong
> with her? also she has milk
> dripping out of another teat.is it
> fixable? thanks

thanks for the info. i bought the cow to use as a nurse cow or to receive an embryo transplant would her condition prevent her from doing either?

[email protected]

As a nurse cow her udder may cause a problem because of the stress of nursing a calf. As an embryo recip. the udder doesn't matter, other then for the nursing aspect, the calf bed, i.e. uterus, etc is whats important. Plus she must be cycling reliably and consistantly so that the embryo can be transferred at the right time. Only a vet or embryologist can determine if she is suitable. Too, ET calves tend to be larger then natural calves so it depends on what breed you will be using. But remember, free advice sometimes isn't what you pay for it.

dunmovin farms

> thanks for the info. i bought the
> cow to use as a nurse cow or to
> receive an embryo transplant would
> her condition prevent her from
> doing either?