Cows that are lazy Pigs

Help Support CattleToday:

dcara

Reaction score
The past couple weeks we've had a little rain and a little sun each week which has made the rye grass come up nicely. 3 weeks ago before it had really started coming on strong I started feeding about 60% of a normal hay ration since there was still some reasonable pasture. Now its 4 inches tall over probably 30% of the pastures, 6 inches tall in many areas and at least 2 inches where they have been grazing. The cows are holding good condition and their piles show they are at a good nuitrition level. Yet when I show up they go stand around the hay rings and start bawling for hay (mostly spring cut rye grass). Sunday I gave them about a 20% hay ration which was gone today, and when they saw me they came in from a field with ankle deep rye grass and started balling for hay. I told the lazy pigs to get lost and get back to work.

A lot of folks who have the time and the setup for it will graze cattle on rye or wheat for a limited time every day and then pull them off for the remainder. Gives them adequate protein supplemntation and makes the rye/wheat last longer. Forced to stay on it full time I'm sure they would wipe it out pretty quickly.

Cow's have a higher IQ than the loose nut on the tractor.
In the summer when it is 100+ we are in the hay field they are in the shade.
Winter ice hanging off your hat they are in the loafing shed waiting for the well trained idiot on the tractor again.
My :2cents:

Cattle are like cats -- they always want what they don't have. Cats can't decide whether to go out or stay in, so they stand in the doorway.

Look at it this way, at least you know what they like and you can get them to go where you want them to....maybe!

Caustic Burno":3rnomwvo said:
Winter ice hanging off your hat they are in the loafing shed waiting for the well trained idiot on the tractor again.
:lol: :nod: :nod:

Caustic Burno":cq2np8kw said:
Ain't it the truth. Mine have me well trained. Make me think they are starving to death then turn their nose up if I don't give them exactly what they wanted.

Well, they're not lazy, it's just associative conditioning. Any livestock will do it, not just cows. They've seen you go out to the hay ring and leave them hay to eat, so later, when they see you walk out to the hay ring.... Cows aren't exactly the sharpest knives in the drawer. You wouldn't want to fly in an airplane built by cows.. :cboy:

Had the same problem with a bunch of $#@%#@ Dorper Sheep one time. My mother made the mistake of feeding them cubes from a bag in the trunk of her car (she was too old to lift it out). From that point on, EVERY time they saw her car, they'd go running after it. I have the same issue with my cows; I've poured range cubes out of a bucket, so every time they see me carrying something, they think it's a bucket of range cubes and come a-runnin'.

You can use it constructively, by the way. I know of several cow men who train their cows to come into a pen - they feed them cubes by ringing a cowbell and pouring it in troughs in the back of the pen. So any time they need to collect them in the pen for shots or loading or whatever, they just ring the bell and the whole herd's in there in about 30 seconds.

It's just part of having livestock; always give some thought to how and where you feed them.

A tree fell on the fence and my cows got out. They visited the good neighbor. They decided to pen them and rattled an empty paper feed sack. They weren't sure they'd get away quick enough. Cows followed them right in to the pen and they called me. Said they have never got a herd in a pen that easy.

slick4591":d9u2vq9v said:
Mine are like that with a white 5 gallon bucket, and I'm not sure the color or size plays a role. :lol:
Hungry cows are easy Slick. :lol2: Mine just run into the corral and wait on me. If an empty feed bag blew across the pasture they'd run themselves to death chasing it.

TexasBred":72klvx1j said:
slick4591":72klvx1j said:
Mine are like that with a white 5 gallon bucket, and I'm not sure the color or size plays a role. :lol:
Hungry cows are easy Slick. :lol2: Mine just run into the corral and wait on me. If an empty feed bag blew across the pasture they'd run themselves to death chasing it.

Isn't that the truth? My ladies stick their noses into everything. They even knocked down the bird feeder and licked up the seed! They see the curry comb and they fight over whose gonna be first. Can't keep the windows on the truck clean because they think they have to lick'em. I bought some junk hay and my cows wouldn't touch it. Threw it across the neighbors fence and his cows went through it like a dish of Blue Bell.

Latest posts