Cows & Hail

Help Support CattleToday:

schilling

Reaction score
So how big does hail have to be before it will harm cows out on the open? How about young calves?

They are calling for some areas to have baseball size tonight.

Thanks

I dunno...heads are pretty thick...back may be exposed....if you have cover somewhere, let them in till it passes?

I'm one of those guys who always thinks if itll kill me, I probly dont want my cows around it.
Lol
I have a shelter for them. Old barn. But it beats getting beat to death with hail. They can all pile in there

I've seen a hail storm rip big bald patches in the backs of all the cows before, it was one of them storms that piled hail up like snow drifts. Killed a colt, but the cattle other then being roughed up some made it just fine. It was late summer and they would've all been bred by then, but I don't think many if any sluffed their calf from the deal.

bulldog04 said:
Aaron said:
Baseball will kill a cow if it hits them right on the head.
I guess you learned that from experience? If so you have to tell the story

Nope. And I never want to experience it. Just have heard the odd story from Dakota ranchers over the years, where that has been the case. Dakotas have freak hailstorms all the time - very isolated cells that produce baseball and softball size hail.

Tornados, lightning and hail don't mix well with cattle.

Latest posts