cows eating wood

Help Support CattleToday:

Be careful, if the wood they are chewing on is treated wood, walnut, or several other "toxic" varities, you could have a dead cow quick.

Do you know what type of wood it is that they are chewing? That may give some insight as to why they are doing it.

cornfarmer48":gl9qb3nb said:
the garage is cedar. split rail could be too

As it would be rude of me to ask, how many and what size lot their in, I won't.

As Cypress said treated lumber and several other types could be harmful. Not sure about cedar, but can say, we have used cedar posts for many, many years, with no ill effects that I know of.

Curious to know what is causeing this. Keep us updated.

have 8 cows and calves on 6 acres of pasture. plenty of grass. cattle have tm blocks available all the time.

Not saying you can't run 8 cows and their calves on 6 acre's, but its a stretch to do it. Most I can get for any length of time is a cow and calf per acre. Pastures have to be free of weeds and grass has to be in good shape to sustain them for any amout of time. If things are getting dry up you way it will make it even harder to run that many on 6 acres. I'm with the others you may want to try loose minerals as the tm blocks are just that trace amounts.

cornfarmer48":145ugebs said:
cattle have tm blocks available all the time.

Trace mineral blocks are just that - trace. Talk to your feed store, extension office, veterinarian, neighbors, etc., and find a good loose mineral properly formulated for your operation and area, and the problem will probably stop. Might also want to talk to the same people about stocking rates for your area as you have allowed less than 1 acre/animal. Could very well be possible, but I have a few doubts.

they usually bite on wood if they aren't getting the amount of fiber that they need. That might not be it but i have been studying horses and cattle alot lately and that would be my guess.

Latest posts