Cows/calves do odd things

Help Support CattleToday:

CUZ

Reaction score
Some time back Dun told a story about a calf that was afraid of the sun and that got me to thinking about odd behaviors that cows and calves sometimes do.

Saturday I saw another one of those odd things.

We moved some of the cows to a different pasture. I put out some Hi-mag blocks and decided I'd spend some time cleaning up a few thorn trees nearby.

About 100 feet from the mineral box there is an old cherry tree that blew over several years ago. The cherry tree is dead and most of the roots that are exposed out of the dirt clump are gone. I noticed the bull with his nose down in the dirt clump and I just figured he was getting ready in case he needed to fight another bull. There was a cow standing with him and she had her nose down there also. After a couple of minutes they wandering off but neither of them had mudded-up.

A little while later a bunch of calves were at the mineral box. When they left and started out into the field one of them came over and stuck his nose down into the same cherry tree dirt clump. That got me to watching him. A minute or two later he lifts his head up and has a piece of the root sticking out of his mouth just like someone would have a piece of straw or a toothpick sticking out of their mouth.

Anyway, I found this to be rather odd and got to wondering about what was drawing them to the dirt clump.

Supposedly dead Cherry tree limbs are poisonous here in Florida. They claim here in Florida they only become deadly after the leaves die. I had two bulls and 2 cows die last year because they ate Coffee bean leaves.

46. WILD BLACK CHERRY

Prunus serotina

(rose family)

TOXICITY RATING: High.

"ANIMALS AFFECTED: All animals may be affected. Ruminants (cattle, sheep, goats, deer) are more at risk than monogastric animals (dogs, cats, pigs, horses) and birds.

DANGEROUS PARTS OF PLANT: Damaged leaves pose the greatest risk. All parts are potentially toxic.

CLASS OF SIGNS: Anxiety, breathing problems, staggering, convulsions, collapse, death (which may be sudden).

PLANT DESCRIPTION: This cherry may grow as a tree or shrub. Bark of young branches and twigs is scaly and reddish-brown with prominent cross-marks ("lenticels"). Leaves (fig. 46) are alternate, simple, elliptic-pointed, leathery in texture, and finely toothed on the margins. Flowers are showy, fragrant, and white, hang in drooping clusters, and produce dark-red to black cherry fruits (fig. 46A). The wild black cherry commonly grows in fence rows, roadside thickets, and rich open woods. "

CFC - Many years ago I can remember Dad lost a cow a day or two after cutting some limbs off of a Cherry tree. The reason it has stayed with me all these years is because I can clearly remember Dad chastising himself saying, "I knew better than to be cutting a Cherry tree when it had leaves on it."

So I'm very careful about the leaves, but I've never had any problems (as far as I know) with the roots. As of yesterday the calf was still alive and going about his business, but I'll be sure to look him up tomorrow.

I just figured there was something in the smell from the dirt clump that they were finding interesting.

The only reason I mentioned it is when the Vet came to my pasture the first thing he ask was did I have any Cherry trees. The second question was did I have any coffee bean plants. My first reply was what is a coffee bean plant. I did mean to hijack your thread I just thought I should bring it up.

Hey no problem.

Out of curiosity, you said you lost two bulls and two cows, were they the only ones exposed to the Coffee bean leaves or did a bunch ignore the leaves and these 4 were the only ones drawn to the leaves for some reason?

Cuz
For some reason it was only the 2. It was after a frost and the Vet claims the frost killed the leaves and they become toxic. He saved 2 more cows with a shot and they are still okay.

I knew a calf once that broke into the farmhouse. My family and I were out at the time collecting genetic samples from our neighbours' paddocks. We liked doing that every Sunday in fact and we kept them in my father's backyard lab. He was really nifty with all that technology stuff. Anyway, the calf - Oscar, I think his name was - well, he managed to get in through the back screen door and he attacked the kitchen first. Bits of garbage and vegetables and spilt milk everywhere. We found him in the living room lying amongst old Johnny Cash and The Who records.

~ Uma Uddla
bovinasanctaveritas

Uma Uddla":26vvkcf8 said:
. . . Oscar, I think his name was . . . found him in the living room lying amongst old Johnny Cash and The Who records.

~ Uma Uddla
bovinasanctaveritas

Well at least Oscar had good taste in his music. :)

CUZ":3kfcrba2 said:
Uma Uddla":3kfcrba2 said:
. . . Oscar, I think his name was . . . found him in the living room lying amongst old Johnny Cash and The Who records.

~ Uma Uddla
bovinasanctaveritas

Well at least Oscar had good taste in his music. :)

:lol: I think he got it from his mother, Maggie. She really likes The Beatles.

~ Uma Uddla
bovinasanctaveritas

Monday I opened the gate so the cows could go into another pasture that had lush ryegrass and clover. I didn't call the lead cow cause I was in a hurry but since the pastures are set up in a wagon wheel fashion I felt confident they would see the gate open when they went to water in the hub of the wagon wheel. Yesterday I was surprised to find them still nibbling the dirt in the pasture they had been in. I called the lead cow and they all came running. Can't figure out if they are well mannered and waiting for permission or just stupid. I know this wouldn't have happened with a horse.

Jo - You know if someone had accidently left the gate open, they'd been through it before you could blink an eye, but since you wanted them to do the self-service move they weren't volunteering.

I've seen cows put their noses up against a post or the ground and breath through their noses a few times for some reason. I saw a cow do that to her calf one time. It was like they were blowing their noses or something.

Latest posts