Cow that does not belong to me

Help Support CattleToday:

32Paws

Reaction score
I have had a cow that has shown up on a piece of land that I lease. I have contacted the owner several times to come get the cow and he still has not. I am taking care of the cow but what can I do?

Don't sell her until you know that you legally can. Laws are different in every state. Have you contacted the local sheriff department?

if you can get her up.load her an take her to him.i feel for you dealing with a neighbor like that.been there done that.

Load her and take her to him, no it's not your problem but it's the best way to go about it, life ain't fair but sometimes you have to do things like this.

Been in that situation. Held on to the cow for seven months til it was really obvious she was about to calf and I had no idea what she was bred to. Had to take her to the salebarn.

Talk to everyone that borders my property and they didn't claim her.

Call your sheriff (livestock officer). Explain the situation and ask him to come pick up the cow.
He can contact the owner and take it from there.

I had one like that once for 5 years. Asked him several times to come get her.The first calf she had I took to the sale with mine and sold it under my neighbors name. After that I just started saling them under my name. 4 years later I took her to the sale and sold her under his name. He never said a word about it. Never can tell about people.

You have a couple of options that have already been mentioned - 1) load and take the cow back to its owner or 2) call the county sheriff or livestock officer and have them come get the cow. The owner can deal with them to get her back. If you sell her ( even to recoop your out of pocket expenses), it may be seen as rustling or stealing.

Turn her not the brand inspector at your local auction barn. He'll handle it. Put a hauling charge on her too for your trouble if he isnt a good neoghbor. At least that is how we handle it in the states where we run.

Had one show up here a year or so ago. I told the reported it to the sherriff and told several people about it and the feed stores. No one ever claimed it and about three months later the sheriff called me and asked if there was any resolution to it. I told them no and they gave me permission to do whatever. All you can do is try but let someone else in authority tell you what to do to cover yourself before you go selling it or whatever.

Latest posts